Remembering Songs?

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. I am an amature musician keyboard player. My problem I forget songs to easily. I can stop playing a song for maybe 2 weeks or so and forget how to play it. Sure I can go back a relearn it and once I check my notes it will come back again but it seems the more songs I learn the more I forget over time. Is this common for most musicians? Also I don't read notes but make songs up and pick up a lot of songs from youtube tutorials. Do pro musicians have this problem too. I was watching Paul McCartney doing a gig on stage on youtube on the piano playing some beatles and some of his wingz stuff, he was taking request from the audience and played them without missing a note. If it were me I would have to run the songs through my head and do a couple of dry runs on each song first. Whats wrong with me!!!!??

Reaction score
Is there any software available that is simple to use so that I can just ...say..like I hook up the laptop to my keyboard and play a song and it records it and also visually records the keys and chords so that if I forget I can just play it back with a detailed view of the keys played?

The Y_man

Reaction score
So what happened? What did the audience do?

Luckily it's a church so they didn't lynch me - they just tried to sing along with the wrong chords, wrong melody, wrong backing....!!! :eek:

I was trying to motion to the person in charge to kill the song and go onto the next one - but they just thought I was having a "momentary lapse" (not a complete meltdown) and tried to push on!! :oops:

Lucky the next song went ok... :p

The Y-man

Reaction score
On other fora in the past I adviced people to record 'backing tracks' of their songs nicely at home. If you have difficulties remember them you can play along with your own recorded music (or even fake to play along). I know quite a few gigging people have them at hand. Just in case.

Reaction score
No doubt, training is, as with everything the best way. But if you can't remember things sometimes, a little tool can come very helpful and handy. Better than sitting with 'egg on your face' special on a live thingy.
Lot's of people use the backing tracks as I mentioned.
In my humble opinion, even when they are very good players, a (solo)keyboardist is more a performer than a musician. Depending where you play of course but that's why most of them (the younger ones) are standing during a show, You don't see that with a pianist often.

Reaction score
Hi Dennis
I have similar problems.
I did not play for a long time so when I started again I could hardly remember anything so I devised a couple of aids. One is that I have an old tyros 1 which has the ability to record and store stuff as midi files on a hard drive. So I can then either listen and watch the chords or it will even show me the notes directly on the keyboards screen.
The other thing is to use the pc. I store my music as pictures on a pc. Now I do note that you are not really a reader and I am not a sight reader either but you can out your own aide memoirs on it. In my case it is sometimes just to remember a title.
Hope this helps
Barry

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. I am an amature musician keyboard player. My problem I forget songs to easily. I can stop playing a song for maybe 2 weeks or so and forget how to play it. Sure I can go back a relearn it and once I check my notes it will come back again but it seems the more songs I learn the more I forget over time. Is this common for most musicians? Also I don't read notes but make songs up and pick up a lot of songs from youtube tutorials. Do pro musicians have this problem too. I was watching Paul McCartney doing a gig on stage on youtube on the piano playing some beatles and some of his wingz stuff, he was taking request from the audience and played them without missing a note. If it were me I would have to run the songs through my head and do a couple of dry runs on each song first. Whats wrong with me!!!!??

PERSONALLY speaking, "I" a PROFESSIONAL musician, , do =NOT= think there is ANY-thing =WRONG= with you Dennis; it's simply the inherent degree of your ability that LIMITS you thus, similarly as ME with a totally logic-based inheritance mentally, simply MUST have a line-&-staff chart readily available to navigate websites, and even THIS one presents a considerable PROBLEM for me, in that I've simply NOT inherited the mental attributes that make it EASY for me to accomplish such things. Even on my computer, I dare NOT permit ANYone ELSE to use it, lest they CHANGE one teenzy little thing that then makes it nearly impossible for me to again find my way around on my OWN computer, because my LOGIC-based mental inheritance demands everything I want to become involved in, have a genuinely systematically originated basis.
Speaking now directly to YOUR inherent limitation concerning remembering songs, , THAT so happens to be one of MY eeeeezyest things to do. If I hear a song once, and LIKE it, I can remember EVERY syllable of every word and every note intonation, , and just recently re-produced a song I recalled hearing at ten years of age, nearly 70 years ago BUT, , =THAT= does NOT make me SPECIAL above YOU. It's simply that we've INHERITED a different "SET" of MENTAL attributes. I'd suggest you do some intensive INNER thinking to learn of the mentally inherited attributes that you are strongest in and concentrate on a career that best FITS what you've inherited, 'cuz we don't always inherit what our parents had. My daughter for instanse, is a fifth-wheel trucker, 'cuz she simply did NOT inherit MY musical ability, and even MY musical ability isn't necessarily the BEST, , when compared with the musical GREATS. You're welcome to SAMPLE what I be capable of at www.ezrasohf.com , 'cuz I do all of his composing and arranging BUT, , don't expect to hear the best ever composed or arranged, 'cuz all you'll be hearing is what "I" be capable of, and althoh maybe MORE capable than YOU musically, there's =ALWAYS= somebody BETTER. As pertains to musical memory, the BEST in history is a woman, "Nana Muskouri", I may have spelled it wrong, , she having sold MORE performances in MORE languages than any other person in musical history.
So, get it OUT of your mind that there may be something WRONG with you, 'cuz that simply AIN'T the case. It's simply that we all are DIFFERENT and thus, have inherited differently and to be most successful, should make a career out of that which we have inherited the most supportive attributes concerning. Archie

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish the person leading the hymns could tell me what they were going to sing (out of over 1300 possible choices) on that day..... would help me heaps....

The Y-man

Mr. Y-man Sir; May I attempt to HELP you with a suggestion? This isn't something you can accomplish in a few minutes BUT, "I" think it's something that over-all, will greatly assist you in being more adept at musical recognition of whut's about to be announced NEXT.

MY approach in this case, is simply that of establishing a spesific MENTAL order that your subconscious can more readily relate to and resultantly, provide your conscious mind with the information it needs to prepare you for whut's NEXT.

Therefore, I suggest that first, you make a list of the titles that are most popular where you're officiating, , and keep that list az small as possible initially, so that you can learn it quickly and then very probably with-OUT much learning at all later, , add TO it without ever really being overly aware of the fact that you're accomplishing such LEARNING.

Hopefully, the most popular titles can be included in a list of not more than a hundred. Then, FROM that list, make ANOTHER list of all the titles that you like MOST, those that are easiest for you, , and NOTE the spesific "KEY", even if only by memory, that they all have in common, and if per-chance those few comprise MORE than "1" spesific KEY, make even another list with those from THAT list, that you like BEST, listed FIRST, , , and =THEN= repeatedly CONCENTRATE on those few OR many, making it a point to rehearse them repeatedly throughout each day as you work or play. THEN, , add TO that rehearsal list, OWNLY those that are NEXT the most perfered or easiest for you to remember BUT, do =NOT= stray from that list in your repeated rehearsals, un-TIL you can merely GLANCE at =ANY= title thairin and INSTANTLY know WHUT key it begins on.

IF per-chance, there is a song or two in that list that commonly presents a problem for you, make a determined effort habit of always rehearsing THAT title at least every second or third time until ITS relative key can be recalled easily.

Having thus established this kind of mental BASIS for your subconscious to make instant reference to, it THEN has a REFERRAL file that it can ADD-TO, , "BUT" for the first few months, =KEEEEP= that referral list SMALL, until like I said, merely GLANCING at =ANY= title therein, simultaneously provides instant re-call mentally, of what key that title begins on AND, "IF" per-chance this proves a little difficult, THAT will be becuz you've inherited only RELATIVE PITCH it's called, instead of ABSOLUTE pitch as I've inherited and thus, you then should obtain a little device WITH which at any time, you can INSERT a mental referral PITCH, that then provides a mental reckoning referral point "KEY" ON which to accomplish subconscious reckoning for all of the OTHER titles, , because of all music being entirely intertwinedly RELATIVE, permits instant knowledge of all OTHER keys distinction, merely on HEARING a directly RELATIVE key AND, it's because they ALL are relative, that this system of re-call actually works in most cases.

The little device I'd advise, is the most discreet to use in public and the most durable; it's a tuning-fork; they come in very small sizes to accomodate a pocket or coin purse, and merely by holding it in your palm and raising your hand to your preferred ear, you can "plink" it jist enough to make it vibrate sufishently for you to distinctly hear its KEY, , and then RELATIVE to that spesific KEY note sound, the remainder of all the others can be mentally summoned, , and after considerable use thereof, your subconscious will establish THAT spesific KEY as its basis for all of the others and then MUCH later even, , it will "TAG" other keys TO that one, so that it becomes easy to remember WHICH key this OTHER title is based on, and then even LATER, the titles you like most OR that are heard most, by that same method, begin to inter-relate and "TAG" themselves MENTALLY with EACH OTHER, , so that after having finished THIS title, when the NEXT one is announced, INSTANTLY your mind relates IT via its established, mental "tagging" system to the respective KEY most recently announced.

Another means of establishing MENTAL RELATIVITY reckoning, is to sit at the keyboard and make mental note of whether the NEXT title on the list takes you UP or DOWN the keyboard for its initial or opening stanza. THIS then can be correlated as an additional subconscious reckoning help, in that down the keyboard, makes direct referral to a LOWER key in memory, and up the keyboard, a HIGHER key. After a little while, you'll note that in fact your hands begin to mentally gravitate to the keyboard direction KEY of the title NEXT announced, a split second or so before even you remember what that title contains.

I sinserely HOPE this dialogue proves helpful to yoo and that over the space of a year or three, you then can respond INSTANTLY to =ANY= of those 1300 titles BUT, , one litttttttle ecseption to this, iz that although having accomplished instant recognition of the respective KEY of each of those 1300 or even 13,000, , and that is NOT impossible or even unusual, , , it won't be unusual to always need a beginning referral key OR title, such as for instance, if the OPENING title is uncommonly DIFFERENT on occassion, , you MAY note that you must allow a few seconds for your subconscious mind to quickly go through however many titles until it finds one with which it can readily relate, to provide you with the necessary recall for this suddenly announced, UN-familiar title.

To close on the little device topic, I've heard of professional performers sitting at a keyboard, and moments before the first title is announced, casually reaching into a shirt pocket and then pretending to be scratching an ear breifly, before returning that hand to the same shirt pocket after the RELATIVE key has been mentally awakened for the required performance. Another method is consistently relating all titles keys to that of a most favoured one, that in each case, requires nearly instant mental recall of that title and the mental repeating of its first two or three measures, so as to provide relative recall for the one just announced. There are MANY kinds of professional talent that use this method constantly, mathematicians I think being the most prominent, in that by recalling a spesific formulae of a favorite mathematical equation, they then can relate any other TO it and calculate a solution, , , and of course ALL such reckoning originally is Bible based, but not knowing whether that topic would offend you, I'll not mention it further. Archie

The Y_man

Reaction score
Thanks Archie. I do have the "common" ones down pat. The church also uses an unusual (for me anyway) numeric notation system on their music sheets (where 1 = first note in key. eg 123 in G major would be the notes GAB, but in C major is CDE) which adds to the excitement!

The Y-man

Reaction score
I be assuming it safe to chance your response to a comment that was directed at me a few decades prior and for which, I've been entirely grateful ever since, because it helped me to increase my maturity in that category of personal conduct, and that comment being: By knowingly permitting others, to take unfair advantage of you on a regular basis, renders you guilty of the same thing, because of thus condoning that conduct in them. In THIS case, I refer to that which although I COULD accomplish, , I'd walk away from, in that constantly performing totally unfair and unnecessary, dual notation transpositions while simultaneously performing, is openly WELCOMING unjust and UN-Godly abuse. According to long-standing rules in the music industry, that specific kind of circumstance requires that the musician be catered to, , NOT the OPPosite . . . Even God speaks against putting the cart B4 the horse.

Reaction score
PERSONALLY speaking, "I" a PROFESSIONAL musician, , do =NOT= think there is ANY-thing =WRONG= with you Dennis; it's simply the inherent degree of your ability that LIMITS you thus, similarly as ME with a totally logic-based inheritance mentally, simply MUST have a line-&-staff chart readily available to navigate websites, and even THIS one presents a considerable PROBLEM for me, in that I've simply NOT inherited the mental attributes that make it EASY for me to accomplish such things. Even on my computer, I dare NOT permit ANYone ELSE to use it, lest they CHANGE one teenzy little thing that then makes it nearly impossible for me to again find my way around on my OWN computer, because my LOGIC-based mental inheritance demands everything I want to become involved in, have a genuinely systematically originated basis.
Speaking now directly to YOUR inherent limitation concerning remembering songs, , THAT so happens to be one of MY eeeeezyest things to do. If I hear a song once, and LIKE it, I can remember EVERY syllable of every word and every note intonation, , and just recently re-produced a song I recalled hearing at ten years of age, nearly 70 years ago BUT, , =THAT= does NOT make me SPECIAL above YOU. It's simply that we've INHERITED a different "SET" of MENTAL attributes. I'd suggest you do some intensive INNER thinking to learn of the mentally inherited attributes that you are strongest in and concentrate on a career that best FITS what you've inherited, 'cuz we don't always inherit what our parents had. My daughter for instanse, is a fifth-wheel trucker, 'cuz she simply did NOT inherit MY musical ability, and even MY musical ability isn't necessarily the BEST, , when compared with the musical GREATS. You're welcome to SAMPLE what I be capable of at www.ezrasohf.com , 'cuz I do all of his composing and arranging BUT, , don't expect to hear the best ever composed or arranged, 'cuz all you'll be hearing is what "I" be capable of, and althoh maybe MORE capable than YOU musically, there's =ALWAYS= somebody BETTER. As pertains to musical memory, the BEST in history is a woman, "Nana Muskouri", I may have spelled it wrong, , she having sold MORE performances in MORE languages than any other person in musical history.
So, get it OUT of your mind that there may be something WRONG with you, 'cuz that simply AIN'T the case. It's simply that we all are DIFFERENT and thus, have inherited differently and to be most successful, should make a career out of that which we have inherited the most supportive attributes concerning. Archie

That link is no good.:confused:

Reaction score
"THANKS" Dennis; I'd not been in to check-it-out recently and like yoo say, it simply AIN'T THAIR any more! So, I'll report that to my web-master & giv yoo a holler when it's back-on-line uhgen, HOPE-fully real SOOON! Archie
If yoo want an INSTANT up-date on it, send me yor internet adres - (e-mail address removed) <--THIS one I KNOW iz YET functional!!!

Ask a Question