Roland DS-88 or Korg Krome-88

Reaction score
After looking at the image you posted I am left in no doubt about why you have a spare motherboard.

For whatever reasons your keyboard has been cobbled together from at least two different keyboards.

This would explain why you have discoloured keys, as they are likely to be from different keyboards. With one of the keyboards being subjected to cleaning with an incompatible cleaning product or has been left uncovered in bright light conditions.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One last question what's with the yellowish keys on the first octave of the keyboard. I hope you can see it in the picture. It is only the top of the key that is discolored. Under the key looks exactly the same as the rest.

More indication that it's been worked on. Likely the off color keys were replacements scavenged from a non working board.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
should I ask the seller for money back since the never told me anything about this being rebuild. they "claim" to have gotten it from a friend who got it at a guitar center. IT seems a bit misleading that I got a rebuilt keyboard. I hope this doesn't mean my keyboard is going to have problems. Maybe it means just the opposite. It's been rebuilt and is better than ever?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Flip a coin. None of us here can answer that question.

You'll have to determine your own comfort levels with either returning it or else keeping a refurbished unit long term.

Personally I would be pissed off enough to demand a negotiated settlement of a 30% refund for the bullshit line the seller fed me about the board's history and threaten to return for full refund unless a substantial settlement was negotiatted.

As it was he charged you way too much for a rebuilt frankenboard and failed to describe it as such in his ad and correspondence.

Try and negotiate a $300 to $400 settlement and if he won't go for it, just demand a full refund and ship the bloody thing back to him.

At his cost of course.

And don't be shy about trashing his online rating if he refuses to cooperate.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
here's the original ad: https://reverb.com/item/31028369-korg-krome-88 - I can see in these pictures now the same discoloration on the keys. I didn't really notice it when I was looking at it. My fault?

The original ad is no longer live on the site so I can't see what he put up there about condition. Picture is a stock picture of a Krome 88 in very low rez.

From what you've told us so far though, he definitely misrepresented the product.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Returns are not always simple Col. It depends on who eats the shipping costs. If the buyer has to pay return shipping he could be out a couple of hundred bills in shipping costs, not to mention brokerage and customs fees if it was purchased internationally.

That's why my inclination would be to negotiate a rebate on the purchase price in lieu of a full blown return.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
If the seller is via ebay then the buyer has extreme power to get a full refund (shipping included).
Otherwise the seller will be "bad listed"
Also ebay has the power to intercept the sellers paypal account.
Buyers have overpowering rights with ebay.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He's got a 7 day window to file a dispute with Reverb.

This is why i don't deal with long distance resales.

Too many potential problems.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Outside 7 days returns are still possible if the item is not as described.

It would be reasonable to expect the seller to pay for the return in such a case.

Reaction score
I tried for a partial refund. Seller says the pictures showed the yellow tint on the bottom keys. Which they did. I just wasn't looking for that. He also sticks to his story that he bought it from a friend and his friend gave him the motherboard. He claims he had no idea what the motherboard was, just that his friend gave it to him that way. I still think I should get some money back. But I can see what he's saying. I should have noticed the yellow keys.

I'm satisfied with it. I just wish i could remove the yellowing on the keys. It's odd it's just the top of the key that is a bit yellow. I feel like maybe there is some way I could clean them? Maybe they are just stained or old or something?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The yellowing is the result of bromides combining with the plastics from exposure to air and cleaning solutions and cannot be reversed.

Unless he is willing to give you a full refund my advice is to learn to live with it and hope that he did a good job on the repairs.

Stuff like this is the reason I don't buy used from websites. Instead I shop around on craigslist and similar services for people in my area where I can go and physically inspect the merchandise before buying.

Same reason why I don't sell on ebay either. I don't need the hassles of bogus paypal accounts, returns on good merchandise that the buyer damaged because he decided to change his mind, etc,,, etc... whatever....

Chalk this one up to an expensive life lesson learned.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Stuff like this is the reason I don't buy used from websites.
Yes as we indicated at the outset, don't buy anything second hand unless you can physically test it first, as your risk of being sold a dud increases exponentially. I had the impression you were buying it from a music shop the way one of your earlier posts was worded - "Is it OK to buy used, it's right from the music store".

This being said, you're stuck with it now so with a bit of luck the only issues are cosmetic and your keyboard will work like a charm.

Reaction score
Yes I was going to get it from the music store but someone bought it literally 5 mins before I got there.

The keyboard is perfectly fine except for the yellow color of a few keys. I haven't given up on fixing them either. If I have to replace the internal SD card someday I will see what I can do.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
a) there's no sound in your video.

b) hold the phone landscape when you record a video.

Gary :p

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
b) hold the phone landscape when you record a video
Are all phones different?
With my Samsung if initiate a photo or video holding the phone landscape, I get a vertical picture as above (just a third of the screen).
But if I hold the phone vertical, the end result is landscape (full screen). Uh!
Sorry to butt in.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Normally most modern smartphones have an internal sensor that adjusts according to orientation placing the image in either landscape or portrait mode depending on how you hold the phone.

How old is your Samsung Ray?

Gary ;)

Ask a Question