Roland DS-88 or Korg Krome-88

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There is sound just have to turn it up

That kind of defeats the purpose of the video. There's no way to judge the relative noisiness of the keys without some sort of objective measure like a Vu meter calibrated in dBs.

Just stop worrying about it. You bought a pig in a poke and now you have to live with it. Stop trying to figure out if you were screwed or not.

If it makes music and all the functions are working as advertised stop worrying about inconsequential details and just learn to enjoy your purchase.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Are the keys too loud? Or is this how it is supposed to be:

I certainly did not experience that level of noise on the Korg NH keybeds that I have played but they were brand new and not ones a few years old.

I did play a Kawai that had a far noisier keybed than your Krome.

Enjoy it or if it is annoying, sell it on, learn from the experience and buy a new unit.

Reaction score
I certainly did not experience that level of noise on the Korg NH keybeds that I have played but they were brand new and not ones a few years old.
I can promise you that's pretty standard for that action, particularly after a bit of use. It's not even particularly noisy - one can tell by the ambient noise in the background which is quite loud in relative terms. Also bear in mind some of that noise was OP's fingernails on the keys. He could be playing on a Bosendorfer and the noise would be identical until he has a manicure.

A couple of keys on my RH3-actioned SV-1 make a fearsome amount of noise simply from long term use, despite the RH3 being a more expensive and usually quieter action than the NH. They were like that when I bought it used - and I was well aware of this when I put down my heard earned. To calm the worries of OP - it has zero impact on keybed feel or operation.

I laugh when people get all caught up in keybed action noise. ALL digital pianos have a degree of keybed noise. If you're playing on stage it makes zero difference how noisy the action is as you won't hear it. If you're playing at home you'd either be playing at a decent volume to enjoy the sound, or so quietly that headphones would be a better sonic option anyway.

It's one of my favourite hobby horses after "build quality = weight" (no it doesn't).

Reaction score
Your right. When I am playing a gig I won't hear the key noise. Won't even hear them during practice.

I went from a Yamaha p80 to the krome. I did put new felt stops on the Yamaha not to long ago. It did quiet the keys. I will need to take the Yamaha out and compare the noise. The Yamaha is certainly older then then krome. I got it in 2001. If there is a huge difference I will probably open up the krome and check the felt stops. If not then it's just me worrying

Reaction score
I'm going to be the one person who will say that the Krome hammer action is a little noisy. Not too bad though. It's a different kind of "noise" than other actions. The "loudest" action I have has to either be my old Roland JV-1000 or my 2016 Motif XF8, but that's noise from bottoming out the keybed. The Krome/NH action is more of a "squeak" sound like friction in my opinion, roughly in line with the Yamaha GHS action. It's more the slightly-mushy feel with the squeaks that I don't like. But you know, unless it bothers you when you play a lot with sound on, don't worry too much about it. Older actions with more use can be a little louder too, and again that's known to happen with the GHS Yamaha stuff too.

In reference to your video itself, that's about how loud the used ones I've played at a few Music Go Rounds have been. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ask a Question