Roland juno-d system update 1.04 trouble! Synth doesnt work after that!

Reaction score
tenho o mesmo problema com o meu juno d ele tbm fca só com o display amarelo mas sem nenhuma função como vcs resolveram esse problema no de vcs tem como alguém me ajudar eu ñ sei nem como fazer essa atualização update por favor me ajudem?

Reaction score
Hi all I am looking for a "bricked" JUNO-D mainboard for parts. Anyone want to seel one? Thanks

Reaction score
It's possible to update a bricked juno-d !!

When you see an empty lit screen and nothing works anymore, it means it is bricked. This happens because of a failed update.

So before throwing it into the garbage:
1. download the SMFPLAYR software and install it
2. download the latest firmware v1.04
3. connect your Juno through a (short) midi cable and turn it on, wait for half a minute.
4. Load the midi folder with the firmware midifiles into the smfplayer and press start.

Explained:

When the firmware fails to load, it's memory is empty. BUT in this case it is set to automatically receive firmware through MIDI at boot time.
Just turn on your Juno and start uploading the firmware.

There are 2 possible outcomes:
Right:
1. The '0' button starts flashing. this means it is receiving data. When this is finished, '1' and '2' will flash simultaniously and now you can recycle your juno. et voila, it works again.

Wrong:
2. The '0' and '1' buttons flash on and off the moment you start the sfplayer. this happened to me 2 times, the third it worked after hitting all the buttons out of frustration at the same time.

So, it is possible to revive a bricked Juno-D. I thought of trying this trick because this is also the case with some bricked asus routers after a failed firmware update. :)
I bricked it when updating to 1.04 from 1.02. I used the midiOX midi player and a 5 Meter MIDI cable. It went wrong halfway the first midi file.
Using the SMFPlayer is much easier anyway because it does all the files automatically in numeric order.
The link to the SMFPlayer software doesnt work on the juno page, just google it and its there at the roland site.
Good Luck!

Reaction score
Just to add to the above post (which was really useful) I managed to successfully recover my Juno-D from a failed update - I had stupidly pulled the power when it was taking a really long time to update when sending first MIDI file (my mistake being impatient) which left keyboard unusable with nothing responding at all upon restarting. Tried above steps but could get either 0 and 1 alternatively flashing (if I left powered on for 30 seconds and then sent the midi files), also tried pressing random bottons and repeating, some did get 1/2 flashing, but didn't work to update it.

What I tried instead was to pretend the display wasn't working, so followed the standard update procedure (blindly with no display):

1. Power On the JUNO-D while holding “KEY MODE” and “ENV or BALANCE/LFO.”
2. Press “1 Piano.”
3. Send the 29 MIDI files using the SMFPlayer utility (used on Windows 10 64-bit with a USB M-Audio MIDISport 2x2) and a 2m cable.
4. Whilst doing this I noticed the "Numeric" button was flickering, not the 0 LED. Looked promising.
5. Waited for MIDI files to transfer and program to say finished.
6. Saw that the 1 and 2 LED's were then blinking TOGETHER.
7. Powered off and back on again.
8. Boom! Keyboard display shown and back to normal, with the new 1.04 firmware - confirmed by holding system down when powering on, and working!

Hope this proves useful if the above does not work for you.

Very pleased :)

Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of the required MIDI files for the bricked Juno or know where they are, I can't find them anywhere?

Ask a Question