Roland RD2000 - program pedal error

Reaction score
Summary: The FC1 pedal I have assigned to operate the rotor on/off only works when the correct zone is selected.

I upgraded to the RD2000 from the RD800, I pre-ordered it the day after it was announced at Namm. I imported the live setups into the new keyboard with no issues. I have three Roland DP-10 pedals hooked up. They are assigned in my live set programs as - 1) damper, 2) rotor on/off (FC1) and 3) patch up (FC2).

In my programmed set, the patch up pedal works every time and it doesn't matter which zone (little square buttons 1 to 8 at top middle left) is being controlled . Damper, no issues. The FC1 slot which I use for rotor will only work if the correct zone is selected. If have B3 in zone 2, and zone 1 (normally piano) is being controlled (little square light!) no rotor will happen. I have to press the little square for zone 2 and then the pedal will properly control the rotor.

For my set tomorrow luckily I have only three piano + B3 (tonewheel organ) splits to deal with. I've programmed those splits to have B3 in zone 1, and use the older piano patches for zone 2 (the new Vpiano S patches will only work in zone 1).

If I have all my B3 sounds in zone 2 I could activate zone 2 leave it for the entire set. However, if I have to use the cursor to scroll between live sets (now called programs) I have to reset the screen cursor to the patch #, which resets the position to zone 1.

It took me an hour to figure out what was happening. It's an issue that can be easily fixed with a software update. Anyone else come across this or have an easy fix?

Reaction score
Summary: The FC1 pedal I have assigned to operate the rotor on/off only works when the correct zone is selected.

I upgraded to the RD2000 from the RD800, I pre-ordered it the day after it was announced at Namm. I imported the live setups into the new keyboard with no issues. I have three Roland DP-10 pedals hooked up. They are assigned in my live set programs as - 1) damper, 2) rotor on/off (FC1) and 3) patch up (FC2).

In my programmed set, the patch up pedal works every time and it doesn't matter which zone (little square buttons 1 to 8 at top middle left) is being controlled . Damper, no issues. The FC1 slot which I use for rotor will only work if the correct zone is selected. If have B3 in zone 2, and zone 1 (normally piano) is being controlled (little square light!) no rotor will happen. I have to press the little square for zone 2 and then the pedal will properly control the rotor.

For my set tomorrow luckily I have only three piano + B3 (tonewheel organ) splits to deal with. I've programmed those splits to have B3 in zone 1, and use the older piano patches for zone 2 (the new Vpiano S patches will only work in zone 1).

If I have all my B3 sounds in zone 2 I could activate zone 2 leave it for the entire set. However, if I have to use the cursor to scroll between live sets (now called programs) I have to reset the screen cursor to the patch #, which resets the position to zone 1.

It took me an hour to figure out what was happening. It's an issue that can be easily fixed with a software update. Anyone else come across this or have an easy fix?
I have had my RD2000 for about a month now and overall I'm very pleased with it, the new PHA-50 key bed is great and it's a pleasure to play.

However, I have reported two issues to Roland. The first is to ask them to consider putting the Pitch/Mod lever to control the Leslie on TW Organs as the default setting. The second is related to your issue.

I tried experimenting with the 'assign to knob' functionality and set it so that knob 8 could control the volume on zone 2 of a two zone patch (zone 1 = piano, zone 2 = strings) - the idea being that I could fade in the strings as required. This all worked perfectly with the knob led's mimicing the zone 2 led's when rotated - all good so far, so I hit the WRITE button and saved the changes. Then I just selected another random patch and made some changes (which were made on zone 1) and then went back to the previous patch.

To my surprise, the 'assign to knob' action that I thought I'd saved didn't work. I noticed, just as you have, that if you have a function set to a particular zone you have to ensure that when you activate that Program, you must ensure that you have the correct zone selected. Perhaps you could try my experiment and see if you get the same results (I did do this quite late at night so finger trouble is a possibility!).

Reaction score
I have had my RD2000 for about a month now and overall I'm very pleased with it, the new PHA-50 key bed is great and it's a pleasure to play.

However, I have reported two issues to Roland. The first is to ask them to consider putting the Pitch/Mod lever to control the Leslie on TW Organs as the default setting. The second is related to your issue.

I tried experimenting with the 'assign to knob' functionality and set it so that knob 8 could control the volume on zone 2 of a two zone patch (zone 1 = piano, zone 2 = strings) - the idea being that I could fade in the strings as required. This all worked perfectly with the knob led's mimicing the zone 2 led's when rotated - all good so far, so I hit the WRITE button and saved the changes. Then I just selected another random patch and made some changes (which were made on zone 1) and then went back to the previous patch.

To my surprise, the 'assign to knob' action that I thought I'd saved didn't work. I noticed, just as you have, that if you have a function set to a particular zone you have to ensure that when you activate that Program, you must ensure that you have the correct zone selected. Perhaps you could try my experiment and see if you get the same results (I did do this quite late at night so finger trouble is a possibility!).
Yes, that is the issue at hand. Very annoying.

Reaction score
On a related note, and i only have the damper peddle supplied with keyboard, has anyone noticed that the sustain cannot be held on Zone 4 (any instrument)? I can see why this could be useful but I'm not sure whether this is a fault or not. Is there a way to turn the damper on/off by zone?

Reaction score
On a related note, and i only have the damper peddle supplied with keyboard, has anyone noticed that the sustain cannot be held on Zone 4 (any instrument)? I can see why this could be useful but I'm not sure whether this is a fault or not. Is there a way to turn the damper on/off by zone?
I personally haven't tried this as yet. However, you should be able to enable/disable the damper pedal by selecting the relevant TAB within the ZONE EDIT functions page. They are shown as 'ticks in boxes' which you can select as required.

If this enabled (and I trust you're using the DP-10 pedal in the DAMPER jack at the rear), and it still doesn't work, then I would suggest that you report this to Roland. I will try this out myself as soon as possible.

Ask a Question