Roland rp701

Reaction score
I am new to the forum but need desperate help regarding this and other digital keyboard pianos in general. I have a Steinway Grand but decided to purchased the ROLAND as a second instrument. I've viewed many keyboard videos on youtube.com and all seem to have a problem as I: specifically, the keys that are pressed are not the sounding notes they should be. For example: when I accompany the melodic line with the right hand, the left hand playing the underlying harmonics gets out of tune. Keys that should sound like a C or D or E, etc., start sounding like a D, E or F...etc.

I thought I was going crazy with this in that I have perfect pitch but when I went back to the Steinway, all the notes sounded as they should.

I hope this makes some sense.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Since you have perfect pitch the obvious solution is to play the Steinway . Something in the Roland or video material is jamming your perfect pitch. Best, Don

Reaction score
I don't hear this with other manufacturers or other models from Roland. As the RP701 is a new model (released just a few months ago) there may be a software fix for this or perhaps it is a bug that they haven't discovered yet. I would report it to roland with a video of you playing and hearing the dissonant held notes. They may be able to release a software fix for it. Also provide them the exact program you are calling up; perhaps it is program related only; not sure. Bottom line, we can't help you; Roland can so I would be writing directly to them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All Joking aside, pick up an electronic tuner and test them both ASAP.

Your pitch may not be as perfect as you assume it to be.

You may be used to an out of tune Steinway and assume it's in perfect tune.

Or you may be using a different temperament to tune your Steinway from the one that defaults on the Roland.

Or the joystick/tone wheel on the Roland might not be properly calibrated or defective and requires replacement.

But the likelihood the time base inside the Roland is off is on the order of about 20 million to one..

Regardless, nobody can tell you definitively unless you acquire and employ the necessary instrumentation.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW oh perfect one. Most electronic keyboards have up and down transpose buttons for people who can't play in any key but G Maj.

It's entirely possible one of these buttons has been pressed.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
...well...the problem is not with any "perfect pitch" that I have...the Steinway Grand has always been in tune and there should not be a problem when playing the Roland where the accompaniment played by the left hand starts to go sour while the right hand is right on pitch...

...I don't have any instrumentation and/or video equipment to have it shown, perhaps, on youtube.com...so...I guess I'll just have to have the Roland as a nice decorative item in my home...I will attempt to contact Roland, thanks to all.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A concert tuner is around $50.

A steinway retails around $40K.

Spring for it big spender.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I gave you two straight and CORRECT answers and you respond as if I just took a dump in your icebox.

What's your problem buddy?

That's gratitude for ya. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I am new to the forum but need desperate help regarding this and other digital keyboard pianos in general. I have a Steinway Grand but decided to purchased the ROLAND as a second instrument. I've viewed many keyboard videos on youtube.com and all seem to have a problem as I: specifically, the keys that are pressed are not the sounding notes they should be. For example: when I accompany the melodic line with the right hand, the left hand playing the underlying harmonics gets out of tune. Keys that should sound like a C or D or E, etc., start sounding like a D, E or F...etc.

I thought I was going crazy with this in that I have perfect pitch but when I went back to the Steinway, all the notes sounded as they should.

I hope this makes some sense.
I checked the Roland site and for the RP701 there is an update called version 1.03. It is a bug fix. It isn't a bug fix for your specific issue however since this is version 1.03 perhaps updates 1.01 and 1.02 might actually address your issue. I would contact Roland and see if version 1.03 also includes version 1.01 and 1.02 updates contained within it; if not you may want to have Roland point you to where versions 1.01 and 1.02 are stored; these version might address your issue. It also might be that no one has reported this issue yet; so I would definitely contact Roland and bring the issue up and see if they can look into it. Also, since the keyboard is only a few months old then it is still under warranty. If dissatisfied I would return the instrument for a refund and pick a model that doesn't have the issue. A piano should not be out of tune in the left hand when the right hand is playing notes. It is definitely a software issue; if they are not going to address the issue then return the unit for a refund.

One final thought: I checked page 25 of the manual and it speaks to stretch tuning:

Single Note Tuning (*) -50–0–+50 Adjusts the tuning of each individual key. For example, you can adjust the width of stretched tuning, which tunes the higher register slightly higher and the lower register slightly lower.

There is also a factory reset:

Reset Setting Resets the “Piano Tone Edit” settings of the selected tone to their factory settings.

I would do a factory reset, I'm thinking that the keyboard is not set to equal temperament, somehow stretch tuning or some other temperament has been activated. After doing the factory reset, check to see that the keyboard is set to Equal. If not, set it to equal. I'm thinking that this is your issue.

Ask a Question