Roland SH-201... Is it good?

Reaction score
Hi :)
I am an experienced piano player who has been playing piano for at least 9 years, and I am thinking of buying a used roland sh-201 on sale for 500 dolars on usedvictoria.com. I am not sure what this keyboard sells for in stores new. Is this a good keyboard for a first time synt player, or are there better ones on the market in the 400-700 dolar price range?
Thanks alot :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

I just took a quick look at GC's (Guitar Center) web site. They have it listed new at $595.99.

Is there a local shop you can visit to try out various keyboards? Many here will agree with me that that is the best way to find a good fit. (That's not to say the SH-201 isn't the "one" for you, however! ;))

Also, are there any features in particular you are looking for? We'll be able to help you better if you can tell us that.

Reaction score
I have been playing rock and pop piano for a long time, and I am lookin for a reasonably priced and good quality keyboard or synthesizer (anything under 600 dolars) that would allow me to jam with a band, and give me more freedom to experiment with sounds and styles not available on an upright acoustic piano.
I know nothing about most features available on keyboards, but, velocity sensitive keys and tone/pitch modifiers would be nice to have, as well as a wide variety of programed-in sounds.
Hope that helps :)
thanks

Reaction score
Hi ilikefunnymovies
Ive owned the SH 201 for over a year now ,in all fairness if you like a multitude of sounds then the sh 201 might be for you, it is an analog modelling synth with 2 oscilators and 2 EFX ,one reverb & one delay ,also includes D Beam to Expression & pitch ,which is a good feature as its like using the pitch as a theremin ,the sh 201 is rolands answer to the legendary JP 8000 with supersaws which are awesum for lead sequences .
There is a small pattern based recorder feature which i have used for small loops in dance music ,nice one Roland :D
Also there is another feature for external input like a portable CD player,or sampler hook up ect to add filters on the inputs which is kinda cool ;)
You can do splits and duel across the keyboard too .
At the time i got mine for £379 from a shop i go to as im mates with the shop owner :p
I hope this helps some what .

Ask a Question