Roland vs Yamaha question

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I must have missed that with all of the talk about stands. When I was shopping for a bench some years ago, I was adamant that I wanted one with a flip lid so I could store stuff in it, and that one was just what I was looking for. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Happy, / SEa, thanks, ok made note, but the On-Stage KB8902 , is very poorly reviewed on both Guitar Center and And Amazon, any idea why it gets such a low review on both places? Why do you guys like it?

Sorry, so much to get track of. Thanks Gary, ironically, I was in Guitar Center today and they have the Juno for $200 off new, July 4th Sale, so I got it and I got the On Stage Rack, and speakers.

Reaction score
These 2 get higher reviews on average out a 5, but have plenty of bad ones too.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I just read the reviews at Guitar Center, and it sounds like it's hit-or-miss as far as whether you get a good one. To be honest, some of the reviewers sounded like they bought an "open box item" rather than a new one.

In my case, it was the only bench in the store (a Guitar Center, as it happens) with a flip-lid, and the price seemed reasonable, so I bought it. I hadn't researched anything online before I bought it, and wasn't even specifically in the store to buy a bench; I just went there to see what they had, since I'd just moved to the area and was scoping out the nearby stores of interest.

It was easy to assemble. The hinges for the lid have adjustable screws that let you determine how easily it opens, so you can set it such that the lid stays up if you want-- which is how I've got mine adjusted.

To be sure, there are much nicer cushioned flip-lid piano benches out there, such as ones with padded leather seats, but they also cost a good bit more.

EDIT-- I just looked at the two you linked to, and they look nice. I'm not sure about the one with adjustable height-- the picture with it raised up looks weird to me, so I'd have to try it out myself to see how sturdy it is in that raised setting. But the padded leather seat looks nice. I don't think that's the company that makes the nice-but-pricey ones I've seen online, but I can't remember who the other company is; I'd need to check the old posts on another forum to see.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally i would avoid the one with the adjustable height. To me that's just one more thing that can go wrong and break.

Since you're 6 ft tall, it really shouldn't be a problem to use a standard height stool. If someone shorter needs to play then it's always easy enough to raise the seat by adding a cushion.

Again though, we're talking about a piece of furniture here. Whatever works for you and feels right will do.

BTW, congrats on picking up the Juno on sale. Even if it is open box, it's not unusual to see a 20% markdown on a floor demo and as long as you have full warranty you're ahead of the game.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, and for Gary/ or others: Roland 88came in. big, beautiful, heavy. I guess it's portable, but bit of a beast! Way more cumbersome than moving around a guitar!

Now for the home, any reason for a cover if no kids or smoke around? Do you have/ use one when using at home? Only thing I see it getting is dust, but maybe something I should know..?

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, and for Gary/ or others: Roland 88came in. big, beautiful, heavy. I guess it's portable, but bit of a beast! Way more cumbersome than moving around a guitar!

Now for the home, any reason for a cover if no kids or smoke around? Do you have/ use one when using at home? Only thing I see it getting is dust, but maybe something I should know..?

Cover, most definitely, dust is a surefire way of getting the mechanisms grunged up.

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, yeah thinking that. Do you have recommendation? Just serach Amazon/ Guitar Center?
Personally i would avoid the one with the adjustable height. To me that's just one more thing that can go wrong and break.

Since you're 6 ft tall, it really shouldn't be a problem to use a standard height stool. If someone shorter needs to play then it's always easy enough to raise the seat by adding a cushion.

Again though, we're talking about a piece of furniture here. Whatever works for you and feels right will do.

BTW, congrats on picking up the Juno on sale. Even if it is open box, it's not unusual to see a 20% markdown on a floor demo and as long as you have full warranty you're ahead of the game.

Gary ;)
thanks Happy, actually not open box or floor. full 20% brand new boxed, delivered, just came (guitar center, still going on)

Reaction score
Cover, most definitely, dust is a surefire way of getting the mechanisms grunged up.
Thanks any recommendations for cover? I think someone on this thread mentioned / had a link or two, but cannot find that now!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For a cover try these guys...

And for a piano bench take a look at Craigslist. There's always a few up for sale on there, cheap.

Or look at Guitar Center or Amazon. Some assembly required but they do have the best prices.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you're planning to play from a seated position I'd set up the stand so the top of the keyboard measures 28" or 29" from the floor.

That's the height of a standard piano.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the chair, just using a black think metal fold up.. you've seen.. similar to this, that I already have

similar to this:

.. do keyboardist use these? But open to getting a real keyboard one....

On stage stand working good. So I guess it is designed to break down quickly.. Do many bring these around to gigs? Juno and stand, bit work/ heavy. No current plans to travel around with but who knows.. Maybe some just buy a lighter one for gigs. I'm more guitarist, so that that a lot of weight to bring around too. but,.... if if you have a few great songs written with the Juno... could be worth it to bring.. Maybe require a wheeled cart ( which I have one for my photography lights)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Drummers and keyboardists are the reason roadies were invented.

Some guy who plays bass or guitar or sax can carry their kit without help.

But a 35 lb or 55 lb keyboard in a 20 lb case is a whole different animal :p

My Kurzweil in a TSA approved flight case weighs in over 80 lbs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It feel ok at the 27 1/2.. nice as it base bottom of the On stage...where it is but a real piano would an inch higher?hmm I'll test:
For cover, Nylon or Cotton for dust? Same difference?

bTW on stage, when you tigghten for height, are those holes just for reference, or does the knob screws really go into them? I don't think it's the latter...I don't feel/ screws going into those holes... I suspect just for matching reference.

I wouldn't have a roadie, at most in future.. might be just local going arounds. Not even sure it would fit in my 2 seater car. (though it has a very large trunk this probably wont fit. But I do have that rollar cart already.. but maybe at that point, it might be a good idea, sadly, to just buy one of the $180 Yamaha ones with even the lightweight X stand.. if just a few songs, in a mostly a guitar set.. ( if I was pro.. then I would get right car and bring Juno..)

Reaction score
If size matters or rather a lack of size then you are looking at the wrong keyboard.

A Korg Kross 2 61 keys is less than 9 lbs in weight and way less smaller in overall dimensions than a Roland Juno DS 61.

Its the main reason that I bought mine, plus it runs on batteries as does the lightweight amp and hence both are easily transported.

Ask a Question