Roland XP-80 Velocity Problem

Reaction score
Hope someone out there has a solution...
My XP-80 has a velocity sensing problem. It is very 'touchy'... meaning it 'maxes out' real easy. I have tried changing the velocity sensitivity and had some luck, but it is still unacceptable. Piano sounds 'max out' and sound like I'm banging the keys too hard. (The keyboard is non-weighted, organ style.) Anybody else have the same problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
I looked at the velocity values that are being recorded and noticed one 'offending' note's velocity was only 81. This note sounds like it's 'wide open'... being hit too hard. Is there some setting for each sound that can be edited to fix this problem?

Reaction score
Is it that you solved this problem already yourself, or you got some other help? i have a similar issue with my RD-700, and i was really hoping to get a solution in here. I hve one note in the bass range, F2, that just sticks out like a thorn no mattr how hard soft i play. any suggestion would be most welcome. please answer before i grow old.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably a good bet that dust and crud have been sucked into the little rubber cups all the keyboard manufacturers use for switches.

Nothing wrong with owning a vintage keyboard though as long as it makes the sounds you want it to. ;)

If you're handy with a screwdriver and study a few dozen keyboard repair youtubes though it's a doable repair by yourself.

Otherwise, you could pay a keyboard technician $200 or $300 to do the repair for you.

BTW, I wasn't too clear on those videos exactly how the Roland switches are laid out but if you do a little googling you may be able to lay your hands on a service manual to help you avoid any stupid mistakes when you take it apart.

It may even be a design flaw in the Rolands that one of the switches fails outright and needs replacement, but for sure it's the switching that's at fault with your velocity problem.

Whatever you decide, I hope you're up and running again soon :)

Gary
\

Ask a Question