Samples

Reaction score
I'm trying to consolidate my keyboard "wants" into fewer keyboards and more sounds. I know that several workstations out there have the ability to use samples. What I'm curious about is the ability to load new sampled sounds. For starters...where do I find samples at? And do you have to pay for them? I know the BIG selling point for the Motif XF is flash. No more reloading samples. I feel like I'm behind the times. I have been using the sounds that come in a keyboard. I'd love a good explanation of how to use samples, where to get them, how to load them, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
do you have a motif xf? i think its a little different for each keyboard, however for motifs there are some free sample banks but most are paid for. there not terribly expensive tho. If you have a NORD there is a whole bunch of free sample banks for nords on their website but i believe that is for nords only

Reaction score
Musicman - what are you using now and what sounds do you want that it doesn't do?

Do you ever use VSTs on a computer?

Reaction score
Gear list:
Triton Extreme 88 keys
Nord Electro 3 73 keys
Triton Extreme 61 keys (I have this b/c I've taken just this keyboard to smaller gigs)

As far as "feel" goes. I'm ok with the Triton Extreme 88 as my main (Piano) keyboard. And the Electro 3 is the perfect organ. But I really want some AWESOME pianos on 88 keys. I just don't feel that the Triton Extreme has awesome pianos. They are good...just not awesome. I would also like some analog sounding pads. Not really "motion" pads. But a pad U don't even know is there in a song. It just blankets the entire sound and makes it big.
Yes, the Electro 3 has samples...and I think they are awesome!!! BUT, the big sounds take up all ur sample memory. So U can't load as much. I've come up with a "Utility" setup for it, to get the best sounds I can with the room available.
I've thought about getting the Motif XF. That's just a lot of cash, and I want to know that I'll use Samples....if that's its big selling point. No, I've never used VSTs but I'm interested. Tell me about it.
Mainly when I play, I use the following sounds: pianos, organs, EPs, strings, pads, horns, wurlis, clavs, and some orchestral. The Triton Extreme covers orchestral, horns, and pianos and pads for now. The Electro 3 covers organs, EPs, Strings, wurli, and clav. I feel kinda weak in the piano, pad and horn sections. I would like a keyboard or some sounds...that would raise the bar in that area. Any ideas???

Reaction score
as far as pads go, i believe there is a patch on the triton extreme called analog velvet, if you lower the cut-off you can that sound your going for. however i know its on the older tritons but ive only used a triton extreme once and i dont recall if it was there.

and, this is kinda a work around, but if you really want some good pianos Nord has some great ones! and you can always midi the nord to the triton....not the best option but its something.

Reaction score
That's a lot of great gear you have. Anything I'd recommend wouldn't be any better.

VSTs are software instruments that run on a computer. Sound great, can be inexpensive compared to pro level hardware keyboards (like yours) but computers bring hassles of their own.

Post back if you want to dip your toe - and are reasonably computer literate or have a friend who is.

Is it worth it? IMO the audience in a live setting are unlikely to notice much of a difference - maybe the horn/brass VSTs but that's about it. You and your bandmates should - and recorded you should too.

But they run on computers - hope I'm not flogging this too much - but hardware keyboards are reliable, rugged and a piece of pie to set up and run compared to the faffing you'll have to do to get a rig based around a computer ready for the road.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I think I'm good with what I got. I just need to get a Motif XF 88, and I'll just take 3 keyboards around. I hate to...but I will. I'll just play around inside the Triton and have to create my own "custom" pad...run it thru the tube...and it should sound fine. Just gotta put out a LOT more cash. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
well if your considering a motif XF 88 it may be worth it to wait until the korg kronos comes out, i think its gonna be quite the game changer.

Reaction score
Sell everything and buy a Kronos :D:D

Jokes aside, you should seriously check it out, and I've actually got a friend whos teacher intends to do just that.
Then you'll have everything you need in one keyboard :)

Ask a Question