Semi-weighted Keys

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum! Looked around a bit and didn't see this question so figured I'd try posting.

I'm considering buying a Korg PA4X Arranger but I'm concerned about the keys being only semi-weighted. I have a medical condition that causes muscle tension so I tend to have a very heavy touch. I'm concerned if semi-weighted keys would wear down over time.

I had my parents old digital piano from the 90s at one point and I basically destroyed half the keys on accident by playing too hard. This is why I'm concerned.

I currently have a Yamaha stage piano for the last 6 years that I've been pretty rough on and the keys are perfectly fine. But I'm wondering if this is because they're fully weighted.

Anybody have any insight?

Reaction score
Welcome Rufus.

I have played a PA4X quite a bit and currently intend to buy one next year.

I would not be to concerned about the action since you could always connect up a weighted MIDI keyboard and use that as a sacrificial keyboard if you wear out the 4X keys

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice..

My current keyboard is a Yamaha CP300 stage piano. Based on what I'm reading online it can be used as a MIDI controller.

So in theory if I buy a PA4X, can I link the two and essentially use the keyboard from my CP300 but have all the function of the PA4X? That would be the best of both worlds.

Still kind of new to this stuff.

Reaction score
Well I'll probably buy the PA4X then, but hopefully they don't announce the PA5X immediately after..

Reaction score
Hi Rufas
I would like to add my recommendation for the Korg Pa4x. It has been my go to board since it came out. I have played many gigs with it, and it is still like new. I don't see any probability of you hurting it being heavy handed. I have had many keyboards in the last fifty plus years of playing, and I rank the Korg Pa4X as best.
Bernie

Reaction score
Do have a look at the Korg video manual series for the PA4X before you buy

Additionally Korg UK have just announced that they are setting up their Webinar series again, starting Saturday, and no doubt that they will be available to view after the event.

Will take you ther plus there is c20 of the prior hour long events to viewas well, they cover just about everything PA related and best of all all you need to is Register to view them FOC.

Now talking of freebies Korg Bonusware is the place to go to for free add on packs of styles and instruments

Finally Korg UK has their Osimo Songbook/Setlist available for free, it runs off a USB stick so does not utilize internal memory.

Finally I would go for the 76 key version, I found the 61 key a bit restrictive when I was splitting the keyboard into more than two zones plus the 76 key version includes a hard drive as standard where it is an extra in the 61.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely look into those links and videos.

I'm sold on the PA4X except for the fact it's been out for ~5 years and Korg may soon come out with a newer model. I'm leaning towards waiting until NAMM in January to see if they announce a new one, and if not, then go for the PA4X. I'm anxious to try it.

Reaction score
I would definitely go for the 76 key, as I'm currently used to having the full 88. If they made an 88 version I'd buy it.

Reaction score
I would not expect anything new from Korg in their PA lineup in January but I hope that I am wrong.

The PA range is designed in Italy and as Italy has been badly hit by Covid then my thoughts are that if a 4X replacement was in design then it may well have been adversely affected by Covid shutdowns.

As it is the 4X has been drip fed with OS updates that have provided extra features and unlocked other elements in the keyboard.

The last OS update was in July last year and so is due another soon.

The 4X has to have had its sales affected by Yamaha’s Genos despite the Genos being significantly more expensive than a 4X. I was in my local music store before Covid and they were definitely pushing the Yamaha gear in preference to Korg’s whose display in store was far less than it was.

The 700 and 1000 models received OS updates in Feb this year and it was hoped that a similar significant OS update as what the 4X received would be forth coming but sadly it was not the case. Both of these keyboards are now over three years old and also due a significant hardware update especially as Yamaha has released their equivalent SX models.

Reaction score
Not sure where it's actually built but manufacturing could also be affected by covid.

Also, I'd be curious to know how covid is affecting demand for a high end keyboard like this. Cheap guitars are flying off the shelves as people are bored at home, but I'm wondering if higher end equipment sales are down overall since performers are largely out of work.

My gut feeling (with no real evidence to back it up) is that you are correct and any plans for a PA5X will likely be delayed to a time with less uncertainty.

Reaction score
Since 2017 I have owned a Yamaha GSX 660,JUNO DS 88,RD-88 and I sold the RD-88 got a good old YAMAHA MOXF8-88.I think I'll stick with this one for several years.)))

Reaction score
I play a PA4X and am very happy with it. It has been out a few years, but it is really good, and current pricing does reflect this.
Also, I would challenge you to find a second hand one. They don't come up often, and PA3Xs are hard to find too, which speaks volumes for the quality of the kit.
I remember reading about a professional user who changed all the keyboard springs to his own taste, so it sounds like it's well made and, if you really did manage to destroy it, would be repairable.
I wouldn't use a primary keyboard with it: you will find you need quick access to the screen and variation buttons, and if your hands are in another galaxy far far away you just won't get there in time.
If you are really worried about it, I would get a decent midi keyboard and go the soft synth route. It's messier, but pretty cheap to start out, and you can get arranger software of varying quality. I thought about doing that, actually, but decided life was too short and the PA4X was a more direct and easy way for me to actually play music rather than fiddle with wiring.

Reaction score
I have owned and used RD 88 ,JUNO DS 88 CASIO SX1000 I would say that the action is better on the RD 88 BUT if it depends what you're looking for or wanting to do .Do you need speakers etc.My final thoughts are is that ,there is no one best particular keyboard so you have to have 2 or 3 of them,BUT MOXF8 is one of those iconic keyboards with iconic signature sounds like the DX7 and has probaby sold more than any other brand or model etc So you have to buy this MOXF8 it's for keeps .You can also always add bluetooth via midi etc

Reaction score
I have owned and used RD 88 ,JUNO DS 88 CASIO SX1000 I would say that the action is better on the RD 88 BUT if it depends what you're looking for or wanting to do .Do you need speakers etc.My final thoughts are is that ,there is no one best particular keyboard so you have to have 2 or 3 of them,BUT MOXF8 is one of those iconic keyboards with iconic signature sounds like the DX7 and has probaby sold more than any other brand or model etc So you have to buy this MOXF8 it's for keeps .You can also always add bluetooth via midi etc
And BTW sadly another old company the guitar Center is filing for bankruptcy chapter 11

Reaction score
I play a PA4X and am very happy with it. It has been out a few years, but it is really good, and current pricing does reflect this.
Also, I would challenge you to find a second hand one. They don't come up often, and PA3Xs are hard to find too, which speaks volumes for the quality of the kit.
I remember reading about a professional user who changed all the keyboard springs to his own taste, so it sounds like it's well made and, if you really did manage to destroy it, would be repairable.
I wouldn't use a primary keyboard with it: you will find you need quick access to the screen and variation buttons, and if your hands are in another galaxy far far away you just won't get there in time.
If you are really worried about it, I would get a decent midi keyboard and go the soft synth route. It's messier, but pretty cheap to start out, and you can get arranger software of varying quality. I thought about doing that, actually, but decided life was too short and the PA4X was a more direct and easy way for me to actually play music rather than fiddle with wiring.

Based on feedback here I've decided not to go the keyboard controller method. I agree that I want to have all the arranger controls handy, not a distance away if I'm using a controller.

The only thing holding me back from buying the PA4X is NAMM in late January. I think I'll hold off until then until then just in case they announce a PA5X. If they don't, I'll probably buy a 4X cause who knows when the 5X could come out.

Reaction score
That is a consideration, but if the additional keyboard doesn't require much depth of its own, it may not be much of an issue. Keep in mind, for example, a Hammond B3 organ which has two sets of stacked keys, with all the controls up above the top keys... it's no problem there. In this case, the Yamaha CP300 can be almost entirely covered (except for its keys) by a keyboard stacked above it, with no loss of functionality/access.

Reaction score
That is a consideration, but if the additional keyboard doesn't require much depth of its own, it may not be much of an issue. Keep in mind, for example, a Hammond B3 organ which has two sets of stacked keys, with all the controls up above the top keys... it's no problem there. In this case, the Yamaha CP300 can be almost entirely covered (except for its keys) by a keyboard stacked above it, with no loss of functionality/access.
My local Music Store has a Korg Pa with a secondary MIDI keyboard closely mounted underneath plus a set of MIDI Bass Pedals.

They seem to have sold quite a few of these setups according to the Sales Guy.

Reaction score
The only thing holding me back from buying the PA4X is NAMM in late January. I think I'll hold off until then until then just in case they announce a PA5X. If they don't, I'll probably buy a 4X cause who knows when the 5X could come out.
I did read that they think they have wrung all the performance they are likely to get out of the chip in the PA xX series, and that they are most likely to move to a new chip. I believe that the korg pa os is linux based, so (latency aside) it might be a straightforward process to do that, but I suspect that it (a) might be some time, during which minor updates will be made, and (b) the new product will have a different emphasis in terms of sequencer mode, but will more easily integrate with a DAW.
The MOXF series has done that, giving away a version of cubase, but I found the menus impossible to navigate (I owned a MOXF6 for three or 4 years but wanted to spend the time playing rather than programming).
And anyway, the 4X really does do everything that I am ever likely to want to do. and does it quickly.

Ask a Question