Shopping for new keyboard amp, some specifics needed, thoughts?

Reaction score
Hello,
I just got a new Roland Juno DS 76 and plugging it in, realized quickly me old amp doesn't cut it.
I used to play in a blues/rock/jam band in the 90s, been a while since playing, but jumping back in.

My old setup was a Rhodes M-760 (bit the dust and replaced with DS76), also have an Ensoniq Mirage that I used solely for midi control of my Micro B organ module. My amps are a Yorkville Bloc B80 and Motion Sound Pro-3. I would run the keyboard into the Hi input of the Yorkville and the Micro B into the Pro-3 with the low rotor simulator going into the lo input of the Yorkville.
I always thought (not having anything to compare too) that my old keyboard sound was not full or warm. Now plugging the new Roland into the same setup I quickly see (hear) it the amp. The yorkville is more of a bass amp.

So I would love to hear your experience and thoughts on a good keyboard amp. I'm looking for something with ...
* multiple inputs, need at least 2 noted above, more the better as I play harp too and my old 4x10 tweed tube amp died, so an extra input as a stop gap would be nice or maybe my kid's electronic drum kit
* nice full sound. anything probably better than current, but something aimed towards keys and has good range
* at least a 3 band EQ - to shape any deficiencies of the amp
* more on the budget side of price

This amp caught my eye, Behringer Ultratone K900FX, has just about all the features I'm interested in. Wondering about the sound quality/fullness, decent bass?

thanks for any suggestions!

I use a QSC K10.2 powered pa speaker. I run a Yamaha S90xs and a Roland VR-09 combo synth thru a Mackie Mix-8 to the speaker. I also have Rolands flagship KC550 keyboard speaker and the QSC is all I use as it has a much superior tone and handles all ranges of my keyboards with ease. I play in two bands one if which has two guitars, bass, drums and three singers. My keys cut thru them all with this QSC and I never use the KC550 now. Price about $700 for the QSC and about $80 for the Mackie mix-8. You won’t be sorry!!
Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Reaction score
The QSC offerings are pretty good. Personally I think they sound a little odd, a little clinical next to some others though - the Yamahas in particular at the same price point. Theres something about the frequency spread thats not quite right - HOWEVER they are in the top 2 or 3 within that price range - so go try some. Plenty of people like tham ( I Soooo wanted to, b ut just didth think it was as good as theYams).

Ask a Question