Help: Producer Shopping for a live Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi Guys

You've probably all heard this before but I’m new to the forum and have been enjoying reading through some of the threads today.

I’m shopping around for a keyboard/synth and would love any help or advice from people in the know.

I am a music producer and work with a 49key M-Audio MIDI Controller within Logic. I have 6 years of Piano theory behind me from when I was a kid but I have never considered myself a player.
One of the artists I am writing and producing for has put together a tight band and she is looking for a keyboard player so she has asked me to join.

I have written all of the keyboard parts for the tracks and have no problems playing them but I need a keyboard which will be able to cover the necessary sounds live. The tracks are pop/rnb flavored and the crucial sounds I am after are:

Electric Pianos: Rhodes, Wurlis, MKII etc.
Strings both live and Synth
Brass and Horns: Live and Synth

My budget is $1000 or less and I am quite experience shopping on Ebay so second hand is not out of the question but I need some advice about what I should be looking at…

The motif and top end tritons are out of my price range although they would be perfect but I have notice that the following keyboards are quite common and within my price range:

Roland Fantom X6
Korg Triton LE
Roland GW7
Roland Juno

Does anyone here know if any of the above models might suit my requirements?

Also are there any other suggestions as to what I should be looking at within this price range?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
If you're looking at sub $1000 and you like Motif's, why don't you look at either the MO6 or a used ES6? If you don't need sampling and more than 64 voice polyphony, the MO6 (which uses ES based sounds) should suit you well. If you want the full blown workstation, a used ES6 can be had for between $800-1000 USD on the used market.

Out of your list, I'd likely choose the Fantom X6, even though I'm not a fan of the Fantom's piano sounds.

If you can stretch a little, you might want to look at the Korg M50-61 over the Triton LE.

Reaction score
Also, consider the Korg TR instead of the Triton LE. The TR is the same audio engine with a few better features. I was able to get a new TR 61 for $800 CDN last month (a bargain price, but still...). With the TR out, and the fact that it's now discontinued, there's no reason to consider the Triton LE.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.

I will have a play of the MO6, ES6 and Triton TR-1 or M50 and see how i like their sounds and engines and then begin the eBay hunt!

Cheers

Ask a Question