Should I get the Korg Kronos?

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Yamaha PSR-S900, and it was nice until I got better and started to search for more.
So I'm looking to replace it with something more powerful, and the first idea was the Kronos.

But as you know, it's shitload of money to spend on it, so I want to make sure I'm buying something that I won't regret buying.

Can somebody shed some light on this device?
Cause beside knowing that Rudess uses it, I don't know much about it.

Thanks
smile.gif

Reaction score
The keyboard might not be for you. Define your requirements, i.e. what is it that you are looking for in a keyboard? What features are important and, perhaps more importantly, which features are not important? Why pay for a Cadillac if what you really need is a Jeep?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a device that can open up my mind. I'm looking to explore sounds like I've never been able to before.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you want to explore a zillion sounds without bankrupting yourself, why not use your Yamaha PSR or get a good weighted 88 Key MIDI controller and then start collecting external sound modules like the Motif Rack Series or the Waldorf Blofeld or the Muse Receptor or the Roland Fantom Rack or whatever Korg comes out with next?

In conjunction with some VST soft Synths you could literally create any sort of soundscapes you could imagine with a couple of good modules and computerized VSTs.

Personally I'm guessing it's only a matter of time until Korg releases a rack version of the Kronos sound engine at less than half the price.

Besides being just as reliable as a roomful of keyboards, the module approach takes up less than a quarter of the space and less than a tenth of the space.

Reaction score
The thing is, I can't really create that variety of sounds with my PSR. The upgrade is unquestionable, I just need to know what should I get.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The thing is you can make your PSR sound like any other synth just by plugging a module into the MIDI out port and turning off local control on the PSR.

You use the PSR as a dumb MIDI controller and the modules output the sounds.

I'd rather have a six pack of modules and a good controller than a Kronos 88 for the same money any day :)

Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqkpLFW7sbY

Last edited:
Reaction score
+1 to Gary's comment - and keep your eye on the used market as well. If you're happy with the Yamaha keyboard keep using it and pickup a module to give yourself the creative tools you're looking for. I know my setup is a bit 'trailer trash'; but I bought a Roland SC50, a Yamaha Motif Rack, and a Korg TR Rack (complete with a 100% 'custom' set of patches) for less than $300 total on eBay. I have a Korg SP250 (88 key honest-to-god piano graded/weighted keybed) I can drive any of them with, or I can use my Korg Kontrol 49 ($90 on eBay) or my crusty-trusty Korg M-1.

:cool:

Ask a Question