What keyboard should i get 61 or 88 to make simple melodies?

Reaction score
Some days ago i orderd a nektar se49, and it was really frustrating for me to use, i had to use the transpose constantly to go octaves up or down, I didnt know what buttons to use, eventually i resended it back, and am still waiting for my money to come, i have never used a midi keyboard before nor do i know how to play piano or a midi keyboard, i just want a perfect midi keyboard without using the transpose constantly, i have a pretty big desk

Attachments

• F41EEDF0-16DC-4018-A1C4-FA640DEDC99C.jpeg
    F41EEDF0-16DC-4018-A1C4-FA640DEDC99C.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 56

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You want 88 or 76 keys for cheap? Start looking at used keyboards from Casio in the WK or Privia Line.

They are decent quality keyboards and they work just fine with MIDI applications.

New 88's in your price range are ether unobtanium or utter crap.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Totally agree with Gary.

I tried a lot of MIDI keyboards and the Roland A800 with 61 keys was the best in its price range, but it is only 61 keys and you may well run into the octave shift requirement. It can be a sod to set up though, it was a nightmare to set up on our Mac.

The SL88 has the best reviews and is reasonably priced.

A 88 key MIDI only keyboard of quality make and feel is pretty well similar in price to a workstation or in fact compared to a Roland Juno DS76 they may well cost more than the Juno and I know where I would spend my money.

Good luck

Reaction score
Totally agree with Gary.

I tried a lot of MIDI keyboards and the Roland A800 with 61 keys was the best in its price range, but it is only 61 keys and you may well run into the octave shift requirement. It can be a sod to set up though, it was a nightmare to set up on our Mac.

The SL88 has the best reviews and is reasonably priced.

A 88 key MIDI only keyboard of quality make and feel is pretty well similar in price to a workstation or in fact compared to a Roland Juno DS76 they may well cost more than the Juno and I know where I would spend my money.

Good luck
Alright, does the keyboard i want need to have faders or rotary knobs, aftertouch, Arpeggiator, transpose, or something else? Like to make it as easy to work with as possible

Reaction score
A MIDI keyboard is basically a dumb device.

For more onboard features take a look at something like a Casio WK7600 as per Gary’s suggestion or a Yamaha EW410 both of which have 76 keys.

Reaction score
unless your playing "piano" you dont need 88 keys. You only need 73/765 is your splitting to play different sounds at the same time. If your playing single sounds - and melodies then 61 keys is what you need. allows you to play a chord left hand and melodies over 2/3 octaves with the right.

Either a used "synth" that will transmit Midi (on a single channel) for VSTs - OR a controller with lots of knobs/sliders etc where youll need a seperate sound source (be that a module or VST/Soft instruments).

Reaction score
I think a big consideration should be a piano type or synth type keyboard. Piano style will have weighted or semi weighted keys and the keys are full sized. Synth style usually have an “organ” style feel and smaller keys.
One isn’t better than the other but they are definitely two different style keyboards.

Ask a Question