Song list

Reaction score
Want to put song list on new I pad pro. Appreciate suggestions programs etc. So I can easily see ‘(preferably alphabetically) songs I would like to play. Already have lyrics- Just need to list songs and keyboard settings to replace old 3 ring binder
Thanks. Cal

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If all you want to do is jot down a list of songs with comments and information about them, any simple note pad or text editor app will let you do that.

But if you want to be able to have fields or columns of specific data, such as Title, Artist, Genre, Tempo, etc., and sort the list on any given column, then you might want to use a spreadsheet app.

Reaction score
On your iPad there are free Apps that will enable you to do what he suggests

Pages is the text editor

Numbers is the spreadsheet app

Both available as free downloads in the App store.

With OnSong you can import text versions (like PDF’s) of your Music Scores and view them whilst playing and use a Bluetooth foot controller to advance the display. You can create Setlists using the stored files

Reaction score
I'm with seagtgruff...in short use Excel. If all you want is a setlist that can easily be reconfigured then MS Word might be enough. In one of my bands I taped the setlist on the floor near where each of the band stood, drummers simply left on his throne. If someone needs larger font easy to do. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
8DE6E272-6846-4540-8004-3E5710AF04FA.jpeg

Numbers spreadsheet, easy to create on an iPad, messy to organise into Setlists.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, it really depends on exactly what the OP is wanting to accomplish.

As I see it, the primary advantage of an app like Songbook would be the ability to have the app send MIDI data to the keyboard to select the desired patches or voices, but learning how to use the app and setting everything up could also be rather involved.

The primary advantage of something like Word or Excel would be the ease of learning how to use the app and entering the information, but it would be more limited in what it could do.

I was watching a concert given by Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, and Trevor Rabin, and Rick Wakeman had a very simple printed set list in a large, easy-to-read font that he was using, which could be created very quickly in a word processor or spreadsheet program.

Reaction score
Great points Michael.

If I was going to create a Spreadsheet of my repertoire that I can sort of hack out then, using the fact that a single Spreadsheet in Numbers can contain multiple Sheets ( a Workbook in Excel speak ):-

1 List all the songs as per my prior in Sheet 1
2 Create an exact copy of Sheet 1 in a new Sheet and call it Setlist 1
3 In Setlist 1, delete all the numbers in the left column
re-number the ones required in Setlist 1 in order they are to be played.
then Sort in numerical order,
deleting all the songs not being used,
Setlist 1 created
4 Copy Sheet 1 to a new Sheet and rename it Setlist 2, then use the same process as in (3) Setlist 2 created
5 Repeat as often as required.
6 Add new songs to Sheet 1 as and when.

Job done

Reaction score
I have had OnSong for a while and it was one of those Round Tuit buys, but the reality was other things took over.

I have spent a little time scanning and creating PDF’s of a few songs to give OnSong a try.

I sent four songs in PDF format via eMail from my PC to my iPad, opening the eMail selecting download got them on my iPad.

Selecting each of them and sending them direct from the Mail App to OnSong is very easy.

Once there creating a Setlist is even simpler, select Set, name it, select + and click on the songs you want to include and that is it.

SONG LIST

C1160FA9-C522-4B24-8A7F-9955B108B468.png

SETLIST 01

1C8CB1D8-2BF4-404F-A645-DB68567CD2CE.png

It is way easier than using a Spreadsheet.

Want paper copies is easy, you could even take a screenshot and eMail it to Band Members.

Ask a Question