sounds

ash

Reaction score
Hi on the Yamaha E453, where would i find the voice that sounds like a synth similar to the song You can call me Al by Paul Simon?

Also to call up registration memory on the Yamaha E453 do i press bank first then select a memory button?

Ash

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I can't recommend a voice yet-- I'll have to go listen to the song first to refresh my memory. But which sound are you looking for-- the flute sound, the BAH, BUH, BUH-BUH, BAH, BUH, BUH-BUH brassy sound, or …?

Regarding the Registration memory, it depends on whether you are already in the desired Bank.

If you need to select the Bank, or just want to verify that you are already in the desired Bank, press the BANK button and enter the number of the desired Bank, 1 through 8.

Now you can recall any of the four Registrations in the currently-selected Bank simply by pressing the desired REGISTRATION MEMORY button-- there is no need to go through the Bank selection again.

Of course, if you need to switch to a different Bank, then go through the Bank selection process again, after which you can recall any of the four Registrations in that new Bank simply by selecting the desired one.

ash

Reaction score
it's a hard synth sound, i can't explain but i've been through the synth sounds and i couldn't find it.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The intro of the song is what you are referring too eh!
It shouldn't be too hard to find a similar sound. When I get out of bed later I will see my Yam has a sound similar. The names they call these sounds are usually common thru the Yamaha range.
That tune has a variety of instruments throughout . Whistle, brass, congo drum, guitat etc. The only keyboard sound that I can hear is the BAAH - BUH BUH BUH BAAH - BUH BUH BUH (as michael stated)

Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I found a synth sound on my yam s650 which sounds similar to the "you can call me al" intro. It is called "biglead"
Check if it exists on the e453
Cheers
Ray

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I loaded that MIDI file into Cubasis on my iPad and the sound I think you're referring to is listed on the track as "Synth Brass I." Since that MIDI file almost certainly uses GM1 patch sounds, there should be an equivalent voice in the PSR-E453's XGlite voice category. (In XG/XGlite, the GM1 voices are the ones that have values of 0 for the Bank Select MSB and LSB.) And there might be other, better-sounding "synth brass" voices on the PSR-E453. When I get on my desktop computer later I'll check the actual MIDI data in the file to see what Bank/Program values the tracks are using, and look up the best match and possible alternatives in the PSR-E453's voice list.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
On the PSR-E453, the GM1 "Synth Brass 1" sound is voice number 527. The reason you weren't able to find it when browsing through the voices is probably because it's in the "XG Brass" category, not in a synth category. GM1 and other MIDI standards (GM2, GS, XG, etc.) often classify certain classic synth sounds under non-synth categories, depending on the nature of the sound. For instance, FM electric piano sounds will often be in the "Electric Piano" category even though they're DX synth sounds; synth bass sounds will often be in the "Bass" category; synth string sounds will often be in the "Strings" category; synth brass sounds will often be in the "Brass" category; synth vocal sounds will often be in the "Choir" category; etc.

"Synth Brass 1" is GM1 Program Number 63 (or 62 using the internal 0-127 data values), so other voices with Program Number 63 in other banks might be possible alternatives to try out:

Voice 128 - "80s Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:113)
Voice 129 - "Fat Synth Brass" (a Dual Voice version of Voice 128)
Voice 131 - "Funky Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:115)
Voice 132 - "Techno Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:114)
Voice 133 - "Synth Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:112)
Voice 527 - "Synth Brass 1" (Program 63, Bank 0:0)
Voice 528 - "Quack Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:12)
Voice 529 - "Resonant Synth Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:20)
Voice 530 - "Poly Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:24)
Voice 531 - "Synth Brass 3" (Program 63, Bank 0:27)
Voice 532 - "Jump Brass" (Program 63, Bank 0:32)
Voice 533 - "Analog Velocity Brass 1" (Program 63, Bank 0:45)
Voice 534 - "Analog Brass 1" (Program 63, Bank 0:64)

ash

Reaction score
Hi i have found the synth sound and saved it to registration 2. Now im learning the melody to the Queen song called A Kind of Magic with the synth voice. I get stuck on what to play when the guitar solo comes in, i feel it needs an improvised bit but i don't get past the notes A Fsharp and E which is the main hook for the chorus. What can i play in the guitar solo to make people in the audience think WOW that's impressive?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
From what I hear from gigging keyboardists, it sounds like trying to improvise an impressive-sounding keyboard part during a guitar solo often ends badly, because the guitarist is basically in the spotlight during his or her solo, and trying to take some of the spotlight away from the guitarist is grounds for war. ;)

To be honest, I'm not familiar with that song-- or if I've ever heard it, I never knew what it's called-- so I don't know what Queen played during the guitar solo in that song, but I'd try to stick close to what Queen did.

Ask a Question