Strange Experience w/Volume - DGX 660

Reaction score
Today I went in to practice, and the keyboard was quite a bit louder than normal. I checked the volume dial of course. I typically keep it at 12:00 o'clock, and it was set there.

I had accompaniment tracks recorded to Userfile 2, so I played that, and it was very quite compared to the piano sound.

I checked the volume for Main, and I found that no matter what I set it to there, it did not change the volume.

So next, I reset the keyboard, wlith holding the rightmost key while turning on the keyboard. Made no difference.

Anyone else experience this? Suggestions for a fix?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Since you reset your keyboard with furtherest right key, (as you described) you would have deleted your user files. Back to factory setting.
So the sound anomaly is not related to the user file.

I have experienced similar with usb styles. Sometimes blasts my eardrums when first turn on. I just unplug the usb and replug it. It goes back to normal.

In your case, maybe turn off power switch and turn on again. This fixes many temperamental electric appliances. :)
R

Reaction score
Got your message, went back in to check, it has been off a while. Turned it on, and it is not OK.

Speaking of deleting the user files...I presume you mean the registry bank settings. Yes, they are gone, although I havce them saved.

It does not delete my Userfile 1, etc.

It seems I have to reset this thing every so often. Does that seem to be what you see too? I find some wierd things happening from time to time, such as the topic of this thread.

For now, anyway, I think\ its back to normal.

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
About the only thing I can think of with regard to the voice volume is the "touch sensitivity" function. There should be a few different settings available-- typically soft, medium (default), hard, and off. The setting should affect all voices, so if it was happening only with the default piano voice then it probably wasn't that, but it's something to keep in mind.

Another thing that might be something to keep in mind with regard to piano voices is the "piano room" feature. I don't have that feature on any of my Yamahas, so I'm not familiar with all of its options, but I think it includes a few functions that might affect how loud or quiet the piano voice is.

Resetting the keyboard should restore the keyboard's functions to their default settings, so if something doesn't get "fixed" by doing a reset then it might be some issue involving the electronic components or other hardware/software issues.

But if the problem seems to get fixed by resetting but then returns after a bit, it might be an issue with a file that's being loaded, such as a registration file, OTS file, musicfinder database file, style file, song file, etc. You might want to pay careful attention to which files you are loading so you can determine whether a specific one is causing an issue due to an unwanted setting or even corrupted data.

Note that USB thumb drives can suffer from "bit rot," as can the flash memory that's built into your keyboard, so that could lead to corrupted data that can create intermittent weird, hard-to-pin-down issues.

Ask a Question