Struggling with Tempo: Advice Needed

Reaction score
I am in need of some solid advice from some of you experienced musicians that might have struggled with this issue in the past. First, some quick background. I started playing the keyboard about 10 months ago. With diligent practice I have progressed (in my opinion) quite nicely. Because I enjoy the challenge, I admit that I might be pushing myself up the learning curve too quickly. I have recently ventured into the realm of beginner/intermediate jazz pieces.

Now to the point. When playing across several octaves with 4-note bass chords & chromatic runs at the same time, I am having a heck of a time trying to maintain just an even tempo (regardless of the recommended tempo of the piece). I think that my problem is related to the fact that I am trying to read the sheet music while glancing at both of my hands to maintain the correct note position.

So, with that in mind, I have started to practice not looking at my hands & only at the music. My objective is to develop "muscle memory", as well as identifying the correct note by feel rather than sight. Am I on the right track? Thank you for any help!

Kit

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Get your self into the rhythm of the music.
Tap your feet in time with the beat.
During practice, just play the bass or ACMP chords for a few minutes without melody allowing time for your muscle memory to adapt. Use the metronome if you wish. Give it time and practise practise practise same piece over and over.
Once you have that sorted you will feel heaps more secure and confident and it will be time to add in the melody.
Thats my theory. Works for me. Experts may disagree.
R

Reaction score
Ray’s comment …… works for me …….is so very accurate, there are no hard and fast methods we all develop our own systems that work for us.

For me it was the same as you are experiencing and it still is even after a few years when I start to learn a new piece.

It may be the sight reading itself that is causing the issue, so rather than use the correct tempo start off at a slower beat, one that you can maintain and as you learn the song you can then speed it up.

Playing the same piece over and over again does not work for me, I will only play a newish piece two or three times, then I move on to another song.

Take a look at the Apps that are available and use those that have a free trial to see if they work for you.

When I bought a digital piano it came with a free 3 month trial of Flowkey which I diligently used every day. I tried another called Playground Sessions which is similar but more comprehensive.

This is what I posted about my trials using the Apps

Reaction score
Thank you, Biggles. I agree with your comment about playing the same piece over & over. I will consentrate on a rough section to get a better feel for the fingering. But constant repetition generally yields small benefits. Sometimes coming back to the piece a few days later is more helpful.

Reaction score
Try just playing the chords, harmony, until you can play them in time to the beat of the song without any gaps. Once you have the chords under hand play the melody until you have that under hand without any long gaps. Now you are ready to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time or in otherwords put the left and right hand together.

Reaction score
Good advice. Also, I have to realize that proficiency takes practice & time. I tend to be a bit excited to move ahead before I solidify certain skills.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Don't forget to work on your ear training and improv skills.

try keeping up with your favorite mp3s

Reaction score
I'm starting to see some improvement by looking at the music rather than my hands. It seems like I am slowly developing some muscle memory, as well as locating certain keys by feel. It will be interesting to see how much I will improve.

Reaction score
One piece of advice passed along to me is to play the melody as if you are singing it. Don't become mechanical in your playing. Listen to Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett versions of Fly Me Too The Moon both great versions but both sung differently.

Reaction score
Again...good advice. When I started learning the keyboard about 11 months ago, I started with well-known classical pieces. Since (as I understand it) classical piano is more structured than jazz or contemporary music. This was good for me since I could apply the concepts of key signature, tempo, accidentals, etc. that I spent some time familiarizing myself with. But since I am now leaning toward jazz, I feel more comfortable applying my feelings & emotions to my playing. That is what attracted me to the keyboard initially.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Again...good advice. When I started learning the keyboard about 11 months ago, I started with well-known classical pieces. Since (as I understand it) classical piano is more structured than jazz or contemporary music. This was good for me since I could apply the concepts of key signature, tempo, accidentals, etc. that I spent some time familiarizing myself with. But since I am now leaning toward jazz, I feel more comfortable applying my feelings & emotions to my playing. That is what attracted me to the keyboard initially.

Take look at r&b. easiest style to start with.

Rock On Brutha!!! :D

Reaction score
I have been playing the piano for 57 years, and electronic keyboards / synthesizers since the early 1980s - While I don't claim to be a technical pro at keyboard specifications, I am a professional musician who has played in symphony orchestras to Rock / Pop groups and composed / sold music and recordings. Rhythm is not easy to develop - the very best percussionists will tell you this. Rhythm is a talent in itself. I wholly recommend the use of a metronome while learning a piece that is giving you difficulty in attaining the rhythm - after you have practiced thoroughly, eliminate the metronome and insert all the proper dynamics to the song.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice. I respect your wealth of experience. I have to admit that I tried using a metronome once & found that the metronome itself was very distracting. However, I admit that I didn't give it a fair chance. I will take your advice. again..thank you.

Reaction score
We've all heard this saying: "practice makes perfect" - you are welcome for the advice. :)

Ask a Question