struggling to play

ash

Reaction score
hi my names ash, im 34. im disabled, i use a wheelchair and i have limited movement. i love rock music, my favourite is queen, brian may is my idol. i play the keyboard and i can only use my left hand so i play with one hand, still very limited movement in my fingers. I used to have piano/theory lessons but i was unable to open my hand to play octaves so i just played the best that i could, the biggest hand stretch i can do is a 5th.

i play to midi files and i was told to learn licks from the midi file as i listen to brian may and i want to play like him but on keyboard, i cant though because my hand is stiff and my fingers wont stretch out far nor can i play fast. I have more movement in my first three fingers, my 4th and little finger work alittle but not much. i can play three note chords with three fingers or just play 5ths. i hardly play because i feel i cant play the way i want to and i dont enjoy playing.

What do you suggest i do to be able to play licks and chords like brian may?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Ash...

I'd suggest loading the MIDI files into a computer sequencer or DAW and then slowing down the tempo so you can keep up and then recording your additional tracks live and finally speed up the playback once you're done. That way you can build up layers of left hand and right hand parts at a speed that you're comfortable with and the end result in playback would sound spectacular.

Happy holidays...
Gary

ash

Reaction score
i havent got a computer sequencer, can i download one for free? can u explain what you mean please, so i wont be playing live?

ash

Reaction score
my keyboard isnt linked on my computer. so what you're saying is to load the midi track onto the computer and have Anvil play it on the computer, then what?

ash

Reaction score
its an old keyboard its a roland e500 gm keyboard, 16 track.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pick yourself up one of these cable adapters :

http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard/dp/B003KXEDVQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1356557740&sr=8-7&keywords=usb to midi adapter

Plug it in, install Anvil Studio and you're good to go for MIDI multitrack recording and sequencing with your E500 and your PC. If your computer's a Mac, use Garageband instead.

In the meantime you can do the same trick with your onboard sequencer in the keyboard itself. Just load up a MIDI file, select a blank track to record on and play along at a reduced tempo and record your keystrokes. Then when you play it back at normal tempo again it will sound like you have 60 fingers :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Read chapters 8 and 9 of the owners' manual about how to use the recording functions on the E-500. This will get you started on on playing along and recording with a MIDI file on an unused track.

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/E-500_OM.pdf

Believe me though, sequencers are much easier to use with a computer than on most built in music keyboards.

Ask a Question