Style files doesn't show up in E363 keyboard

Reaction score
Donkelo

Where did these files come from ? Are they posted on a public site that I could download them from, and take a look at them ?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There might be some kind of data in the files that are confusing the converter utility, or the files themselves might be corrupt in some way.

Style files and MIDI song files contain binary data as well as a little bit of text data, and occasionally people will try to open them in a text editor which can't display the data properly. But some of the binary data can look like text characters that the text editor is used to-- carriage returns, linefeeds, tabs, etc.-- and the text editor might try to "correct" some of them if it thinks they're not quite right, like converting a Mac, Unix, or Linux linefeed to a Windows carriage return and linefeed, or some other type of change, like replacing a horizontal tab with a certain number of spaces, or a vertical tab with a certain number of carriage return/linefeed pairs.

When the person goes to close the file, the text editor sees that there were changes made to the file (which it made itself because it thought it was being helpful), so it asks if the person wants to save the changes. If the person says Yes, the modified file will be saved and the MIDI data will be corrupted.

I don't know that this is what happened, just saying it's one way that people can corrupt style files and MIDI song files without meaning to.

If you think the file may have gotten corrupted somehow, you might want to see if you can download the original file again from wherever you had obtained it.

If that still doesn't work, you might contact the creator of the conversion utility, Jorgen Sorensen, tell him what is happening, and send him the file to look at. He is a very nice gentleman who is actively interested in fixing any problems with his utilities, and he should be able to determine why the utility is saying that the file isn't an SFF2 file.

Reaction score
Thank you segtgruff, i think the files are corrup maybe I will try to redownload the files and send them to jorgen Sorensen to try fixing the issues for me...these files I got them from a friend who had them in his flash disc and he was playing them directly from the flash to his Yamaha PSR s910 keyboard and they were really sounding nice......how can I contact jorgen Sorensen?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If the files played fine on your friend's keyboard, they probably aren't corrupt-- unless you think you accidentally corrupted them by opening them with a text editor, then saving them when you closed them and were prompted by the text editor as to whether or not you wanted to save the changes.

You should be able to contact Jorgen through his website.

Reaction score
Today I obtained a pristine copy of the factory preset styles for the PSR-S910. I selected the first 10 styles, under 50Kb in size, from the Ballads folder, copied them to the root of a USB flash drive, changed the .prs extension to .sty, and attempted to load them into my PSR-E433. In every case, I observed the exact same symptoms that have been observed here and on the PSR Tutorial Forums, in the past several days, when an attmept is made to load an SFF-2 style into a PSR "E" series board, so this pretty well validates those observations. I then ran those styles through Jorgen Sorensen's SFF2-to-SFF1 style converter. Other than needing some obvious voice tweakings, they ran just fine.

The "symptoms" mentioned above include:

1. The styles appearing in the keyboard's list of loadable styles.
2. The styles appearing to load properly.
3. The styles appearing to run properly ("beat" arrows incrementing normally).
4. No sound from the Auto-accompaniment.

Reaction score
The user on the PSR-Tutorial Forum was using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader, because he was trying to load styles to a PSR-E363, which does not have a USB flash drive port. So, just to be sure, I repeated the above tests using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader as the loading method. The results were they same.

Reaction score
I also used Yamaha musicsoft downloader, the files loaded well but couldn't play with sound

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
So as I understand it, the remaining issue is that the SFF2-to-SFF1 conversion utility says that one of the files isn't SFF2, and so will not convert that file.

If you can download a fresh copy of that file from wherever you got it, I would try converting the fresh copy in case your copy had gotten corrupted somehow.

Jorgen's site has another utility that can automatically fix common problems with MIDI or style files, so if the fresh copy won't convert, either, I would try auto-fixing the file to see whether that helps the conversion utility process it afterward. Depending on what the auto-fix utility finds wrong with the file and what it does to fix the errors, you might lose some data from the file.

If all else fails, you could contact Jorgen through his website and send him the file to see whether he can tell why the conversion utility says it isn't SFF2. That doesn't mean he'll be able to resolve the issue, because if the file is hopelessly corrupt then it might be a lost cause.

Reaction score
Can somebody help me? I have a Yamaha PSR e363 I uploaded and registered 10 styles, every time I try to play the styles I can't hear their sound through the speaker they only play in silent mode, I have tried everything to bring out the sounds through the speakers but I have failed...I need help ASAP please. Thank you

Michael

Donkelo actually has ten styles that are all doing the same thing. The fellow with 4 styles where only one was SFF-2, and the rest were already SFF-1 was the fellow over on the PSR-Tutorial Forum.

Reaction score
Donkelo

When you are setting up the converter program, are you paying close attention to the SOURCE and DESTINATION folders ? An error here, and you could end up transferring the original SFF-2 styles right back into the keyboard's flash memory.

Reaction score
So as I understand it, the remaining issue is that the SFF2-to-SFF1 conversion utility says that one of the files isn't SFF2, and so will not convert that file.

If you can download a fresh copy of that file from wherever you got it, I would try converting the fresh copy in case your copy had gotten corrupted somehow.

Jorgen's site has another utility that can automatically fix common problems with MIDI or style files, so if the fresh copy won't convert, either, I would try auto-fixing the file to see whether that helps the conversion utility process it afterward. Depending on what the auto-fix utility finds wrong with the file and what it does to fix the errors, you might lose some data from the file.

If all else fails, you could contact Jorgen through his website and send him the file to see whether he can tell why the conversion utility says it isn't SFF2. That doesn't mean he'll be able to resolve the issue, because if the file is hopelessly corrupt then it might be a lost cause.
Have you tried converting the 10 files that I posted on this site to see what the problem was? If you converted the files then please help me the findings. Thank you

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I haven't seen any files. Where did you post them?

Reaction score
Actually I was not paying attention to the destination folder and the source

The converter program can not do this for you. It does not search your hard drive looking for downloaded SFF-2 style files. You must tell the program where to find the SFF-2 files and where to put the converted SFF-1 files. AND . . . the destination folder MUST be different from the source folder, or the program will give you an error message to that effect. This is why the program has been telling you there are no SFF-2 files. You never told it where to find them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually the software found the files source and loaded them but failed to convert them saying the files are not SFF-2 files

Reaction score
The style file is not in SFF2 format. I confirmed this by putting it into Jørgen's program. I received the message that the file is not in SFF2 format. So no conversion was done. I then tried the second software Style Old Format Converter. Tried with all checkmarks on and then leaving the GM voice option. The file size was reduced but still, the converted files do not show up in the keyboard.

I have also attached the style files which I am trying to use (check zip file)

View attachment 1419

View attachment 1420
what is pasword? for attached files

Reaction score
what is pasword? for attached files
sorry for the late reply I was out of city actually. There isn't any password and of which file are you talking about. I can definitely provide you the source but what exactly you need let be clear first

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Sorry to make such a late comment about these files, and I might have mentioned this already (I haven't gone back to read what I wrote before), but I think the problem with these files is the "extra file extension" on them. By that I mean the first period, followed by the code which indicates a particular icon to use on PSR-S and higher models, followed by a second period and the actual file extension. The PSR-E models don't use those icon codes, and I don't think their operating systems are smart enough to know (that is, programmed to recognize) that those icon codes are not a file extension, so they see that first period and treat the following characters like a file extension. And since that first period isn't immediately followed by STY, the keyboard doesn't recognize that those are style files, hence it doesn't display their names. Rename the files to remove the extra period and the icon code, and I'll bet the keyboard will list the files as expected.

Reaction score
I have tried to download style revoicer but it keeps saying that windows is searching for java.exe.to locate the file ........

Attachments

• 16909738657828400904432609814714.jpg
    16909738657828400904432609814714.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question