Sustain Pedal for SK-1

Reaction score
Got the SK-1 and want to use a sustain (damper) pedal. The Hammond unit is kind of not what I had in mind. The FC-4 Yamaha is a nice pedal but it doesn't work. I think the Hammond needs a Normally Open switch. Whereas the FC-4 is a Normally Closed switch. You cannot mod a FC-4 for this easily and it doesn't have a switch like some other pedals to change the NC to NO. So what are you guys and gals using for a damper that has a good feel to it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I mostly use the M-Audio SP-2 for most of my boards.

Built like a tank, polarity switchable and cheap to buy.

51aRReiHxkL._SL1024_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Sustain-Pedal-Action-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm using a Yamaha FC-4, but then I have Yamaha keyboards.

As far as polarity, you can reverse the FC-4's polarity by depressing it with your foot while turning on the keyboard. I think this is generally true for sustain pedals that don't have an actual switch to control the polarity.

There are a number of sustain pedals available from a variety of companies-- M-Audio SP-2, On Stage KSP100, Cherub WTB-005, Auray FP-P1L, Nektar NP-2, etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pedals do not magically reverse polarity by holding the pedal while booting up.

What happens is that some keyboards can auto sense polarity and adjust accordingly.

If a pedal has no polarity switch then it is locked either normally open or normally closed.

I don't believe that Hammonds have this ability built in.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the clarification-- the pedal doesn't switch polarity, but the keyboard reads its polarity differently (did I say that right?), but not all keyboards respond that way?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Right. The pedal is just a dumb switch.

As for the autosensing keyboards that read polarity, you never hold the pedal down while booting up or it will play reversed. ie. sustain while up and normal while down.

Normally the manual will tell you NOT to press the pedal while powering up while it auto senses.

On other keyboards polarity can be set manually from the menus, Korgs have this feature.

The Hammond MAY have this feature built in to the menus somewhere. I can't say for certain.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
So what are you guys and gals using for a damper that has a good feel to it?
I use these guys, both polarity switchable: 1. On Stage KSP 100

1600-KSP100_detail1.jpg

2. Kurzweil KP-3

KUR-KP1.jpg

Pro tip - when using polarity switchable pedals, ALWAYS test them at sound check before playing live.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
I use these guys, both polarity switchable: 1. On Stage KSP 100

1600-KSP100_detail1.jpg

2. Kurzweil KP-3

KUR-KP1.jpg

Pro tip - when using polarity switchable pedals, ALWAYS test them at sound check before playing live.

Hope that helps!
Okay, thanks for the clarification-- the pedal doesn't switch polarity, but the keyboard reads its polarity differently (did I say that right?), but not all keyboards respond that way?
I mostly use the M-Audio SP-2 for most of my boards.

Built like a tank, polarity switchable and cheap to buy.

51aRReiHxkL._SL1024_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Sustain-Pedal-Action-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K

Gary ;)

Hi Gary, you hit the nail on the head. Looks good and review on the net seem to be positive. And it stays in place. I drill holes in mine and mount to a board that keeps all my pedals for the boards in place. But others may want to know.

The other gentleman that said the FC-4 would switch polarity for clarification will not. I took one of mine apart and it only has one set of contacts which are NC (normally closed) Another set of contacts would have been nice and would make this great pedal an amazing pedal. But Yama must only want to sell to their market.

The SK-1 doesn't seem to have a pedal sense and even more disturbing a menu item to flip the polarity of the damper pedal. I guess they want to be like Yama and force folks to buy their pedal, which is kinda weird for a piano damper I might opine.
Very best to all

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You won't regret it. I own 4 of them. Not one has failed me yet.

Gary ;)

BTW, both Yamaha and Roland are industry mavericks when it comes to pedal polarity. They are the only ones who use NC switches.

Pretty much everyone else from Korg to Kurzweil to M-Audio to Novation to Casio to Hammond and I think even Nord all use NO switches on their gear.

Ask a Question