Sustaining the note on piano

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have Tracktion 5, although I haven't tried to learn how to use it yet. I'll see if I can figure out how to set it up to send CC events for the voice parameters.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I then thought of using audacity and followed a YouTube video,

Audacity is basically just a multitrack audio recorder. Other than bringing in effects to the existing recorded sounds, I don't think it's the way to go to change sounds into something different. (Although for what it is, it's really nice and cheap.)

Tracktion responds to MIDI messages, so you'd be using Tracktion as your sound generator. Within Tracktion you'd modify the piano sound until you're happy with it.

Two completely different types of software, solving two different types of problems. To make a infinitely sustaining piano sound, you'll probably have to generate the sound inside the computer, so you're looking for a DAW like Tracktion, not a recorder like Audacity.

If the purpose of the infinitely sustaining piano is live performance, this also means that you'll need to bring the computer with you on your gigs, and have it be an integral part of your keyboard setup. There's nothing wrong with this (other than my bias against general purpose computers in live settings); many musicians do just that. In fact, many keyboard stands include attachments for laptops as part of the stand. So obviously people are doing it. (This is an example for my stand.) Just realize that's the way you're heading.

Reaction score
Hi Fred,

I was checking about DAWs and came across Audacity too and as I was not able to get ahead with Tracktion, I thought of trying with Audacity.

I have a long way to go, and I think I will stick with first getting my basics right before worrying about using SW etc. But at the same time, I do want my playing to sound both as close to the song I am trying to render and the audio quality as soft and melodious as possible (hence the other post on sound quality).

Thanks for all your suggestions - I will keep these in mind.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Tracktion has a definite learning curve, so don't feel bad that you've been stumped by it. I haven't forgotten about posting instructions, but first I have to figure it out myself! ;)

Ask a Question