synth/workstation suggestions

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a synth or workstation. I have $600-800 to spend. What do you recommend. I have been looking at the korg x50 and korg m50 and they seem pretty good. Wondering if you would suggest these or others i have not thought about. I am willing to get something used to fit in my price range. Thanks.

Reaction score
um those are both pretty good options however if you are willing to go way old school you can probably find a classic motif.

and i would defiantly go with the m50 over the x50

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a synth or workstation.

Give us a few more details - what sort of music do you see yourself playing on it? What's your level of ability - do you like to put down a line at a time or are you a two handed piano type of player?
Any sounds it should definitely do well?
How portable does it need to be?

Reaction score
Ok more details. I have played the piano for 13 years and have mostly played classical. I like to use both hands. I have wanted to get a keyboard to start expanding my horizons and start playing more modern stuff.

Sounds- i dont care much for woodwinds or brass instruments on keys. I definitely want it to have some good synth leads, as well as some good pads. Organs would be good too. I would also like it to have a good general set of sounds. Good piano sounds are a plus but not a requirement.

Style- i guess i see myself playing anything from techno to metal mostly.I might try and learn some jazzy stuff with an organ sound. Classical music i will still play but i prefer to play that on my real piano.

It doesnt have to be super portable, but i am not looking for a stage piano keyboard. I would probably need to take it somewhere about once a week.

I would prefer weighted keys but since i'm on a budget i will settle for non-weighted. I dont want any less than 61 keys, and i have a growing bias against yamaha's. (just not been impressed with the ones i've played.)

Reaction score
Does the $600 - $800 need to cover everything, combo amp, stand, audio cable, sustain + expression pedal, carrying case?

Also have you seen an M50 somewhere in this price range?

Reaction score
No the money does not have to cover an amp and audio equipment just yet. I do not have an amp or most of the accessories yet, but i figured i'll get the keyboard and play with headphones i if i have to for a while and then i will save up for the other stuff. I did see a cool package for the x50 that got you a stand,amp,cables, and pedal all for $700. Really wasnt too bad of a deal.

I just want to get a keyboard that i am happy with and worry about the rest later. But if i can get the keyboard cheaper and have some left over awesome, if not thats ok.

Oh and i found the 61 key M50 used on amazon for $750.

Reaction score
Yeah the m50 is probably your best bet. i wouldnt suggest the x50. I think you will out grow it fast and regret the decision.

Reaction score
Yeah thats what i've been finding. I've searched this topic other places and have found that most people end up referring the m50. I went to a guitar center and played both a little bit. I have to say the m50 was nice.

From what i have gathered from my research is that the x50 has good sounds, is lightweight, and cheaper. But people say the m50 isnt much heavier, has a few more sounds plus it puts out a better quality of sound. The x50's screen is lacking in size while the m50 has a larger touch screen.

Right now i am leaning towards the m50, like you suggested above, because i feel i would be happier with it and i dont want to spend my money on something i will grow out of right away. The x50 is still in the running though because of its price.

Ask a Question