Synths for those with lots of money!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In 10 years from now Behringer will knock off both of them for under a thou a pop. If my bowels and bladder are still functioning normally at that time I MIGHT consider buying one or both :D :D :D

In the meantime I have my Hydrasynth, my Sledge and my Poly D to keep me happy :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A question - Vintage synths. Where is the best place to buy them? If I ever wanted to buy one I would not feel confident buying on eBay as I am sure there could be a myriad of problems when spending money on a second-hand vintage synth.

Do any of the music stores sell used synths with warrenties?

Chris

Reaction score
A question - Vintage synths. Where is the best place to buy them? If I ever wanted to buy one I would not feel confident buying on eBay as I am sure there could be a myriad of problems when spending money on a second-hand vintage synth.

Do any of the music stores sell used synths with warrenties?

Chris
Probably but I'm up in Canada. I'd be skeptical of ebay too.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Do any of the music stores sell used synths with warranties?

Chris

First off, music stores will sometimes carry a vintage synth on consignment for a customer. Usually there's no warranty unless they are ready to charge you up the wazoo for it.

Then there are the electronics geeks who buy and restore old synths. These are the guys you mostly find on Fleabay. Warranty is whatever they promised you in the ad.

Finally, the BEST way to buy a vintage synth is at an estate sale from a widow who had no idea what it's worth and just wants to get rid of it. No warranties there either.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I buy all of my used gear either from Craigslist or a Canadian Classified Site called https://kijiji.ca

I test drive every instrument if I'm buying it used.

Likewise I sell all my unwanted gear the same way, offer no warranty other than the chance to fully test it before purchase.

With covid I've had to adjust that policy to curbside pickup and 48 hours money back against DOA. I'm not happiest with those terms but circumstances necessitate them.

For the time being I'm trying not to sell anything off right now.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's currently over 1500 keyboards and modules for sale on Kijiji here in the Greater Toronto Area.

These numbers are typical year round. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary! All those options are good if can "look under the hood" and know what to look out for in vintage synths. Someone like me would be going in blind as I only have limited knowledge of vintage electronics.

Knowing my luck I would spend a hefty amount and find out someone has sold me a dud lol. I have wanted to buy myself a Rhodes but have refrained because of the same reasons.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's a company that makes a knockoff of the Rhodes these days. I think they're located in Mass., USA.

There was a fellow online a couple of years ago from Iceland who considered buying one and having it shipped to him for about $4000 USD.

Searching the link :

Here they are. They're called Vintage Vibe Pianos. Not cheap, but VERY authentic, with modern tech built in.

Ouch. Just peeked at the prices. :eek:

PRICING

CLASSIC

64 Note $5,649.99
73 Note $6,649.99

DELUXE

64 Note $7,499.99
73 Note $8,499.99

CONCERT

73 Note $10,999.99
Concert Console $ 5,799.99

STEREO CONSOLE
$4,749.99
(available for 64 and 73 note pianos)

ADDONS
Walnut Trim Package (includes Walnut Chassis, name rail and music rack) $1,799.99

I'll stick with the EPs sampled on my Juno and my Kurzweil thanks :D :D :D :p

You've gotta be a SERIOUS musician to own one of these. :cool:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ooh wow!!... they are tasty. However, I think I have to agree with you, Gary. I have seen many apparent "good working order" Rhodes for less than that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Any vintage Rhodes you buy WILL (eventually or immediately) "need work."

So, if you factor in the fact that these are an improved design over the original Rhodes and add a couple of thou for the cost of a decent restoration plus you get a factory warranty for the price it doesn't really seem all that unreasonable.

Electronic synths IMHO are way overpriced since most of them are little more than 20 lbs of plastic and silicon fabricated into a "music machine" while the Vintage Vibe is about 80 lbs of precisely machined bits and mechanical assemblies built to order for a niche market.

To be honest, in today's economy the Vintage Vibe's price does not seem out of line once you factor in the cost of restoring a vintage Rhodes. Which will end up giving you nothing but problems in the future.

When I was younger I always loved the sound of the harp, but the cost of even a decent Celtic harp, never mind a concert harp, ran into the thousands.

Still too rich for my blood even nowadays. I couldn't justify that kind of expense for such a frivolous instrument.

If I were in a working blues band, however, I would not hesitate to buy a Vintage Vibe for my tour.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question