Synths vs. VSTs

Reaction score
I know the differences between them, but does using a hardware synth have advantages over a VST?

I was just wondering if I should buy a hardware synth or if I should stick with VSTs.

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to be playing live, a hardware synth would be better as they are much more stable - no chance of anything crashing, running out of battery or otherwise loosing the will to live (unless it's analog...) The big disadvantages are space and cost - unless it's a rack unit, it'll probably be fairly hefty.

As for synthesizing ability, I can't really say much as I haven't had much opportunity to compare them, but I doubt my laptop could handle a soft equivalent of my XV5080. I personally like having dedicated units for everything and being able to physically move sliders around on the fly easily is a big selling point, particularly when playing live. That being said, I've met a large number of people who absolutely swear by softsynths. It all depends on what you personally want.

Reaction score
As you probably realise, it all depends on what you requirements are.

I think it's generally agreed that VSTi's are superior for actual 'sound quality' - but really that's only important if you are interested in doing
'studio-quality' recordings at home, for example.

If you are an active musician, going out-&-about to rehearsals/gigs etc, then I would go for the 'hardware' option.

The other thing I might add is this... some people seem to think that 'sound quality' is the be-all & end-all for some reason.
- but how many great/classic songs do you know that were recorded 20, 30, 40 or more years ago
that didn't have the technology available today?

Furthermore - how many folks listen to music through top-quality speakers all the time???

For most people, it's iPods, car radios, TV, or a bog-standard home hi-fi.

Ask a Question