The "Which keyboard should i get?" Overview // Read first!

Reaction score
Hi, You might try want I do. I buy second hand keyboards, Lowry, Roland, Yamaha, Korg. technics. try them for a while then sell them usefully for a small profit.
I am starting to think that, in a general sense Roland is the best option for me. They all have different features which you may or may not like. there are some retail shops here that when they get to know and trust you, will let you try out different makes for a couple of weeks at home. so give that a go if you can.

Reaction score
Hi there
Skipp, I was really keen to read your summary of keyboards but both those links just take me to hosting sites - not sure why they're not working.
Obviously I risk the wrath of the entire forum by asking this but basically I want to know 'what keyboard I should buy' (sorry!).
It's my husband's 50th in a few weeks and I would like to get him a keyboard. He likes using Garage Band to create tracks and I know he would love a keyboard to get more creative. On the one hand I've been advised to buy a straighforward digital piano which he can use as a controller by continuing to use the computer with it. But then other things I've read say an Arranger or Workstation would be better. For my own selfish reasons I'd like a full size 88 weighted keyboard so I can use it as a straightforward piano (I used to play).
As you can probably tell I'm completely lost in all the jargon / technical details and don't know where to go next. In terms of budget I'm thinking about £400 which obviously means going second hand.
I'm hoping someone here will have the patience to point me in the right direction. So far my shortlist includes a Yamaha P85, a Korg N1 and a Yamaha MM8.
I'm aware these are all quite different.
Please help! Thanks
P.S. One small but significant point about my husband is that he'd much prefer something older that was better quality and respected by pros than something new that was created or amateurs

Reaction score
I scanned the articles already here

but, I didn't find an answer--what keyboards will do what I want? I have carried two or three home to find out you cannot pan the sounds and separate them. I don't care what else it can or cannot do. Just a decent piano sound with L & R channel separation.

Reaction score
wow

I have "searched" but got no answers to my question.
I have been playing keys for 50 + years and just need a little direction in the best boards for the "new age" sounds but maybe I should go somewhere else.
I just joined a less than 10 minutes ago and already insulted for asking a question?

Reaction score
Well, welcome to the forums anyway Davidpat. I could not find a post where you were insulted, but exiting the forum on that basis won't get you any assistance.
There are a lot of options out there these days, and th eindividual opinions of what keyboard might work for you will surely vary a lot.
I have heard about a new Casio synth called the XW-P1 that will be on the street very soon. I saw a video demo on Youtube and it looks like it is extremely flexible and can cover a lot of territory as far as sounds. The street price is said to be about $499, so it isn't a high cost board.
You might check out the demo on Youtube , and then try to play one in the store when they hit the street. It sure looks like it can do about any kind of new age sounds/pads plus a whole lot more. + It is inexpensive. Don

Reaction score
B3 - Thanks for your assistance and your advice. All I was asking for was some input on what keyboard or synth uses the NewAge sounds. I know they all do (both mine do) but I am sure some will do more than others. I am working on my 5th album and I want original new age music between the 13 songs. I plan on making this one a journey that the listener can go along with songs.
Thank you my friend, that was very nice of you and I will look at the XW-P1!
... David Pat

PS/ I carried a B3 around with me from 1968 to 1993, there is no sound quite like the B3

Reaction score
You're most welcome! Glad to meet another Hammond guy here. I look back on the years I gigged with Hammonds and other heavy gear and I'm thankful that my back hasn't blown out from hauling that stuff around...lol. I still love the Hammonds, but now use a Korg CX3 with a Neo Ventilator leslie modeling box.....sounds really good too for a clone set-up.
I've been skeptical about Casio keyboard gear , but have to admit that seems to have changed in recent years. I think it is the Casio PX3 piano sound that has swayed my opinion, as it is a good sound.....of course it can't compete with the large size sample software pianos.
One reason I mention the new XW-P1 is the capability to do layers as shown in the demo video. I think that could appeal to me if I we doing New Age, or scores for video. I would wait to make an observation on sound quality until after I have personally heard one. I do a little recording too, and I often layer different sounds so it would be nice to use the Casio sliders to adjust the layers "on the fly"...kind of like using the drawbars on the B3. Don

Reaction score
Korg CX3

I had a Korg CX3, loved it but sold it for a Yamaha S900 to lighten the load. Thought the S900 would work for the B3 and Leslie sounds but it fell way short, so I got a Voce V5 with a Boss RT-20 rotary pedel and that was better. The CX3 is still much closer to the B3 and Leslie. I looked at the Youtube of the Casio XW-P1 and the B3/Leslie sound was pretty good. I wonder how well the sliders will hold up and if you can use a pedal to engage the Leslie effect?

I also have a Casio Privio 330, love the action and the big grand sound so I am impressed with what Casio has been doing. Although the 330 does not travel well (I had to get the action repaired once but they did honor the warranty), so I keep it in my studio. I may sell it and get the XW-P1. I believe you may be right and think the XW-P1 may work well with the layering of pads? I need to try it out somewhere first; I’ll let you know when I do.

Oh and Ooooooooooo I well remember moving the B3 and 3 Leslies around back in the day, I did have end dollies and thought I could move the world with end dollies!

Thanks ... DavidPat

Reaction score
It's hard to beat a real Hammond sound, but I've been in circles for years trying out just about every clone that was made prior to 2003 or so. My first wife said I had a "mania" about the B3 organs and I wasted too much time and money on that "mania". Ergo my screen name "B3 maniac",....lol
The CX3 is my final choice, unless I just happen to stumble on a Hammond XK3C at a cheap price.
Please do post here when you find out more about the new Casio synth. Don

Reaction score
Xw-p1

Great screen name, says it all. I will post about the XW-P1 but it looks like the end of this month or next before they come out. Wanta know something funny, I still have my key that open my old B3...DavidPat

Reaction score
I got the XW-P1 and it is really packed with sounds and ways to modulate these Sounds. The B3 & Leslie ain't too bad. I sure have a lot to learn about but now I have 3 keyboards and everything covered from weighted piano to B3 to Synth to Workstation and I predict that Casio will be right up there with Yamaha, Korg Roland in a few years!
Thanks for your help ... DavidPat

Reaction score
Hi Davidpat, glad to hear that you found a keyboard and hope it will meet you needs. I'd love to hear your opinion after you've played with the XW-P1 for a while, as I had thought of possibly trying one myself. Don

Ask a Question