The "Which keyboard should i get?" Overview // Read first!

CJK

Reaction score
Hi,
I've read your article, it is is AMAZING to say the least. Thank you for all the info and advice!!! I've spent soooo long looking up and researching online, but have way more info now from just reading your article. :)

Basically, you said that we need to narrow down what we actually want, then we'll know what kind of keyboard to get. So this is what I need:
1. 88 keys (weighted or not weighted doesn't matter)
2. Seamless transition between sounds (allows for quick changes between sounds with no cut off)
3. Sounds mainly used/needed: a good mix of strings and piano pads, electric piano sounds, and also brass sounds.
4. Will not need to use memory cards/recording or saving sounds or plug into a computer
5. Budget: $1,800. (Approximately)

Looking at all you've written in the article, maybe you could list a couple of brands and models for me to check out at a local store?

many thanks!

Reaction score
CJK posted it it in a good format; I'll do likewise.

1. Don't mind the number of keys, as long as it's 61 and above.
2. Mainly leads, electric/ distorted guitars. Anything else for symphonic/ power/ neo-calssical metal.
3. Recording function, if possible; MIDI in/ outlet.
4.Budget: Around $500.

Some of the ones I have in mind are:

-Roland E09
-Yamaha PSR E423
-Casio Ctk 7000

I know that isn't a lot of money for a good keyboard, but if anyone's got a good idea, please share.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Hope somebody can help me? I have posted this on this thread as I do not want to repeat the same question as noted! I am a complete novice, would love to start building up John Carpenter / haunting scores type soundtracks at home ( Halloween / Escape from New York anyone?) and as well as experimenting with sounds learn to play a keyboard at the same time. I am after something that will let me record my playing and modify as I go so that I can slowly build up the tune thats playing in my head if that makes sense? I looked at the guide and to be honest a lot of jargon went over my head. Any pointers would be welcome, thanks in advance.

Reaction score
As you noted "a lot of jargon went over my head".
Sounds like you should visit some music stores and see what's available, and what you like. If I get any deeper into the topic I'll have to charge you for a lesson. Don

Reaction score
"complete novice", "building up...sountracks...and...experimenting with sounds". " let me record my playing and modify as I go", "build up the tune" thats playing in my head if that makes sense?

Hello Giallo,

Let's go through what you said: "coplete novice": everyone has to start somewhere, and now it is your turn. I too, however, am not that experienced, but am willing to share what I know.

"Build up soundtracks/experimenting with sounds", sounds like you would want an arranger, or a workstation. Both would "let [you] record...and modify as [you] go."

As Don had pointed out, a workstation does not have styles built into it. (A "style" = a preset background music, usually including drums, bass, guitar, etc.) You would have to start your music by designing the background music yourself, from scratch. Adding other instuments as you go.

An arranger, has the "style" built into it, and using that, half the work is already done. (I personally use an arranger because of that fact.) You can start with a style, arrange the chord pattern, add the lead and anything else "as you go". There are "workstation" abilities with an arranger (you can start from scratch, if you want to), but not with as many features as a dedicated workstation would have.

"That's playing in my head...". YES!!!
That makes sence, as that is how I come up with some tunes, too.

Full speed ahead...............................Pat

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate people that go out of their way to help others. Pat, could you send me some links to potential purchases so I can research as one thing I have realised is that its baffling and sooo much choice its intimidating to a novice such as I.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Reaction score
Hey Scott,

An arranger or workstation? Either way, you can check at "wwbw.com" and look up arrangers or workstations there. If you look up workstations, then you will see some arrangers (recall, arrangers have some workstation functions.)

Hope this helps.............Pat

Reaction score
Hi all!
I am new to this forum and I would like to ask you a question about me getting keyboard. I am not a Pro and I just want to play some nice tunes by myself and learn (slowly). So I have a few keyboards checked out, but none of people I know, knows much aobut this stuff. So here are some keyboards, and could you please advice me which one to get? The are all used, couse I am not a rich man, so... Thanks for any help!

Keayboards I consider:

CASIO CA 100

Yamaha PSR-300

casio CA-110

YAMAHA PortaSound PSS-270

Casio Pulse Code Modulation Casiotone CT-660
Yamaha PSR-150

Thank you for any advice and suggestions!

Reaction score
Well Stan,

It would help if you would say what you are tyrying to do in more detail, because maybe the 'boards you have access to would not even cover what you want.

That is: Do you want to write music (do you have a few tunes in mind?) or just play? Have you read the article at the beginning of this thread? You may not be able to afford a high-end unit, but at least you would know what to look for.

I am not too familiar with Casio, but the PSR's you mentioned are good low-end arrangers (without a recording mode, I think).

Hope this helps..............................Pat

Reaction score
Thanks for your fast reply. No I would not like to write music I'm not that talented. I would just like to learn to play. Simple pop tunes basically. And let's say my highest achivement for me would be some classical to play, which would not be to hard (well known fur elise for example or is to complex for this kind of keynote?).
So yes I must admit I've been looking at PSR's myself as my favourite choice.

But which is better PSR 150 or PSR 300???

Reaction score
Usually, the higher the number, the better the unit. The best thing to do, if you can, is to use the unit and see if you like it. If playing is all you want to do, then that might be it.

However, as far as your available talent (in writing music), don't underestimate yourself. Full speed ahead!

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. The PSR 300 was just sold :S But they have another one - YPT - 200 (Yamaha). So it's either this one or PSR 150. YPT- 200 is lsightly cheaper, but not much.
Thanks, you've benn a real help.

Reaction score
Many people recommend Yamaha but I think that Casio CTK-4200 is great as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question