Tweaking Midi Files and saving.

Reaction score
Hi all I have just purchased an SX600 and am really happy with it, not sure I would be after having a SX900 with its big screen but I find it ok. Anyway what I would like to do is Load a Midi file tweak it and then save either to Midi file or MP3 is it possible.

Reaction score
Just in general (with nothing specific to the SX series, which I have never used)... You can't save a MIDI file (which has no audio) to an MP3 (which is audio). But you can tweak MIDI files on your computer, and save the edited versions as their own MIDI files.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
@anotherscott, some Yamaha models let you record a song to an MP3 or WAV file, which is what the OP meant.

@shezza2, the instructions on how to edit a MIDI song recording start on page 60 of the Reference Manual. The instructions on how to record a song to a WAV audio file start on page 75 of the Owner's Manual. If you want to convert the WAV file to an MP3 file you'll need to do it on a computer.

Reaction score
@anotherscott, some Yamaha models let you record a song to an MP3 or WAV file, which is what the OP meant.

@shezza2, the instructions on how to edit a MIDI song recording start on page 60 of the Reference Manual. The instructions on how to record a song to a WAV audio file start on page 75 of the Owner's Manual. If you want to convert the WAV file to an MP3 file you'll need to do it on a computer.

I should have said I know how to make the changes to the Midi File when in the 600 but cant seem to save the
changes, even when I press save with a different name as soon as I go to another song then back to the one
that I have changed the changes are lost. I have looked in the manual as you stated but it looks as though that's for when I record a song.
Modify message

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with any models that have the Song Creator feature, so I can't offer much help or try anything myself. However, I've seen posts from other owners in other forums who've had trouble saving their changes to MIDI songs and the answer from knowledgeable veteran users has always been to be sure to save the changes.

In the instructions in the Reference Manual that begin on page 60, on page 61 step 5 is to "record" the changes using the Apply button and step 6 is to "save" the applied changes using the Save button, so it might be that you always need to "save" each time you "apply" any changes-- that is, maybe you cannot apply some changes, then go make additional changes elsewhere in the song and apply them, and so on, and then "save" everything only at the very end; maybe you must edit, apply, save, then edit, apply, save, then edit, apply, save, if you want all of your changes to get saved properly.

There's a notice right after step 6 that says your changes will be lost if you don't save them, so the only thing I can think of-- since you say you are saving the changes-- is that maybe you aren't saving each and every time you apply an edit, or maybe you aren't applying the edit before you save the song again, or something similar.

Ask a Question