two ctk 7000's??

Reaction score
Hi
I'm brand new to the forum and VERY new to electronic keyboards.
What I'd like to do may not be possible.

I love the idea of having a 'dual manual' setup in order to get that real "organ feel." The Nords, Rolands & Hammonds are WAY outside of my price range tho.

I was wondering if two Casio ctk7000s could be somehow connected together so as to form a dual manual setup? How would this be done, midi? [I don't even know what midi is, really]

Note: I'm asking specifically about the Casio model because I've already played with it at the store and I know that it does the Hammond/Leslie & overdrive sounds well enough for my needs.

Thanks.

tmn63

Reaction score
I don't think you can "join" them as such..... can you play them separatey?

The Y-man

Ok, what about this.... can that Casio unit be hooked to a standard 61key midi keyboard...(like a Studiologic sl-161 controller) with the result being a 'dual manual' organ experience?

Reaction score
I am afraid not as the Casio's don't have midi in/out like so many other brands these days.
They use the USB-B slot to communicate with a computer.
Midi btw is a communication language between midi-instruments as all keyboards are.
However if you want to hook up two keyboards (any keyboards) feed the line out into a little mixer and from there into powered speakers or your home stereo.
MUCH but MUCH better sound anyway as the onboard speakers are not that great.

Reaction score
Is there a way to change names of rhythms or tone's on the wk 7500 in the user area's so that THAT name shows on the display.
Drives me mad to see a number or strange name from a downloaded rhythm and not be able to change that. Yes you can change it on the sd-card but when loaded into the user area it shows whatever was build in. Datamanager is no good for that either. CLUMSY program anyway.
Any suggestions?
Regards
DickR

Reaction score
I am afraid not as the Casio's don't have midi in/out like so many other brands these days.
They use the USB-B slot to communicate with a computer.
Midi btw is a communication language between midi-instruments as all keyboards are.
However if you want to hook up two keyboards (any keyboards) feed the line out into a little mixer and from there into powered speakers or your home stereo.
MUCH but MUCH better sound anyway as the onboard speakers are not that great.

What about the brand new Casio XW-P1?
This thing looks like it does everything including the dishes.
Might it also have the sort of midi control I'm looking for??

Reaction score
Is there a way to change names of rhythms or tone's on the wk 7500 in the user area's so that THAT name shows on the display.
Drives me mad to see a number or strange name from a downloaded rhythm and not be able to change that. Yes you can change it on the sd-card but when loaded into the user area it shows whatever was build in. Datamanager is no good for that either. CLUMSY program anyway.
Any suggestions?
Regards
DickR
hmmmmm i am doing a work around as we speak, as i have not as of yet found another way either.. I load a few into the user area to listen to them and make note a to it's display name and what i want to change it to....then change it's name through the rename utility in ther keyboard for card... then over write the old one in same user area.... it works.. but slow.. for over 100 of them.. if anyone has better way would be nice... i sure wish it played rythms from card! for header name change I have to use the other software from the europe site ,, it does not see the keyboard so all those funtions are usless ...but it's data edit funtions for fille on a card or folder in a computer work... so it edits them there,, then i transfer them into the key board with the other software that came from the usa site!

Reaction score
Hi Crunch01,
Yes, that works..... Thanks for your help, but what a work!
Why make it easy if it can be difficult.....
The datamanager software is as far as I can see useless. I can only copy (or delete) forward or backward the rhythms in the user area. What is it you mean the 'edit functions' work. Is there other downloadable software available from Casio in the USA? Casio Europe seems to running a bit behind with updates if at all available. If so please let me know and if pos where to look for it.

DickR

Reaction score
Hi Crunch01,
Yes, that works..... Thanks for your help, but what a work!
Why make it easy if it can be difficult.....
The datamanager software is as far as I can see useless. I can only copy (or delete) forward or backward the rhythms in the user area. What is it you mean the 'edit functions' work. Is there other downloadable software available from Casio in the USA? Casio Europe seems to running a bit behind with updates if at all available. If so please let me know and if pos where to look for it.

DickR

Hi dick, go on over to the USA site to see what might be different.
http://www.casio.com/support/driverdownloads/musical_instruments.html
and here
http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1
.. as far as updates and firmware.... what some do not realize is the release of the XW-G1 & XW-P1 first semi-pro synth's and the CTK-7000 & WK-7500 <<< first semi-pro worksation-sysnth-arrangers, they are the result of casio flirting away some key personel from Yammah and korg to Casio USA.... there is already a firmware update for the XW's and I here tell of one coming for the 7000 and 7500.... these are said to be the first to get the market thinking differently about the casio keyboard brand..... much higher end models are being planned for future release..... Yammi-Korg... LOOK OUT! Casio want's play now!

Reaction score
Still got a problem renaming!
Yes you can rename the rhythms on a computer and yes you can rename them via this out of order clumsy way on the keyboard via the SD-Card and it stays there. BUT.... the original often cryptic name or even a number (on the downloaded rhytms from Casio Europe) baked into the rhythm itself still shows up in the display when loaded into the user area. Very confusing this is!

I have been wondering for some time why no Casio rep ever reacts on any of these messages. It really would help a relative new client or potential clients to get comfortable with the keyboard or the brandname.
If it is simply not possible what I want to do, say so.
If it is possible tell me HOW.

Reaction score
you know I agree they should answer questions better there and it is a glaring tell that they do not have a hosted user forum.. Hoping Casio US is changing some of this.. hmm as for your problem you discovered in some of the downloaded files the other keyboard's tomorrow I'm going back to working on my conversions, I'll see if maybe there is a way to edit the raw data directly.. .. funny, I was hoping to find more answer's from those in this and other forums that have had it a while.. lol.. I did find a Yamaha style to Casio rhythm converter by google search! I'll search for other utilities also

Reaction score
I have been using that STYTOCKF program a few times. It works.... so so mmmm.
Best result I had so far with styles for the 2 variation Yamaha keyboards. I had a PSR550 some years ago but still have the many styles to play with it.
CKF Rhythmplayer works also but only if they are original CKF . Most AC7 don't work in it.

Reaction score
I have been using that STYTOCKF program a few times. It works.... so so mmmm.
Best result I had so far with styles for the 2 variation Yamaha keyboards. I had a PSR550 some years ago but still have the many styles to play with it.
CKF Rhythmplayer works also but only if they are original CKF . Most AC7 don't work in it.
can the Ac7 beconverted to CKF first them edited then back to AC7?

Reaction score
Some of them do work that way others don't as you will get a message 'wrong format' or something similar.
On page E-146 of the manual for the wk7500/CTK7000 you will find what is compatible from older models and can be used. Some work both ways others need to be adjusted and some simply don't work at all.
If you change the extension (from backups) from AC7 to CKF (or v v) and load them in the user area you will see what rhythms do play and the ones that don't.

Reaction score
ok cool, thanks.. work has gotten more involved this week than I thought, so aside from my sequences for my gig this weekend, I will probably not get back to checking all the Casio downloaded ones till Thurs or so... sure would be cool if there was a user rhythm sharing section here!

Ask a Question