Using an external controller with a Kawai MP7

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone has tried using an external midi board to trigger sounds from the Kawai MP7 piano.

My idea was to use section 3 or 4 to accept midi in and play a sound that the main keyboard would not trigger. For example, using the piano itself to play a concert grand or a layered grand with strings and then use a midi board to play different notes using fx a horns sound.

Has anyone tried this and/or knows if this is possible. I don't have my MP7 with me right now but am looking for ways to play some of our studio renditions live.

- Hansi

Reaction score
A quick update on this, The Kawai can receive midi orders and be played that way, only issue is that it does not work as I was hoping, that is, I can't use the midi board to control one sound while playing another on the MP7 itself.

Still does what I needed though as I did need a way to play the Kawai with my left hand while playing Hammond with the right and as I keep the piano on the right side when the rig is set up that was proving to be an issue. Now I just need to get a dedicated board for that, have been using an R3 but I would like to be able to use that as the synth it is without having to worry about remembering to mute the Kawai and turn on the Korg.

Ask a Question