Using Cubase with YAMAHA MX88

Reaction score
Hi to all! I'm new to the Forum and need some guidance on using my Yamaha MX88 with Cubase. A friend of mine also said he uses his ipad to set up songs for performance. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. I'm 65 and still rockin but this technology is pretty tough.
I'm not completely inept, I am a Drone Pilot and use a computer daily at work. Thanks to all in advance!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
How are you wanting to use Cubase and the MX88 together-- multitrack recording, live sequencing, using the MX88 as a controller for virtual instruments, etc.?

As for using an iPad to set up performances, there's an app called SongBook+ from BauM that lets you create song lists, display PDFs of sheet music, and send MIDI messages to a connected instrument. If you set up and save user performances on the MX88 (a.k.a. registrations on other types of keyboards), you can select a given performance by sending a given Bank Select and Program Change to the MX88-- similar to selecting a single voice, but with a performance you can have 16 different voices split or layered however you wish, or play some of the 16 live and have the rest be played by a sequencer, etc.

Reaction score
Hey SeaGTGruff! Thanks so much for your help. Yeah I want to use an app that will allow me to use the Preset Performances I have on the MX88 and be able to put them in order for live performance using Songbook+
I have got Songbook+ downloaded but have not tried it yet. Been reading the manual. Seems pretty complex. Like I told someone on the Forum I am 65 age and this tech stuff doesn’t come easy to me. I’m not totally inept. I use a computer daily at work plus I am a Drone pilot and use an iPad regularly.
Someone also recommended KeyStage app too? Thoughts? I bought the Galileo 2 app and love it!
Like to have the Hammond B3X but am hesitant of the $99. I may need your help in getting my performances to work with Songbook +. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You can select either a single voice or an entire performance by sending MIDI messages to the MX. In both cases this is done using the same types of MIDI messages-- Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change-- but the Bank Select values will determine whether you're selecting a single voice or an entire performance, as given in the MX49 MX61 MX88 Data List on page 54:

Bank Select MSBBank Select LSBProgram ChangeCategory
000...127128 GM Voices
12700Standard GM Drum Kit
6300...127128 Preset Bank 1 Voices
6310...127128 Preset Bank 2 Voices
6320...127128 Preset Bank 3 Voices
6330...127128 Preset Bank 4 Voices
6340...127128 Preset Bank 5 Voices
6350...127128 Preset Bank 6 Voices
6360...127128 Preset Bank 7 Voices
6370...127128 Preset Bank 8 Voices
6380...127128 User Voices
63320...6364 Preset Drum Kits
63400...78 User Drum Kits
63800...127128 Performances

I have KeyStage Lite installed on my iPad, but I've never dabbled with it, so I can't really comment about it, and I'm not certain how the free Lite version differs from the paid version.

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGtGulf! This is great information. This tech stuff is so time consuming for me at this time.
I have bought the Galileo 2 app. Pretty good Organ sounds. Afraid to go with the Hammond B3X app for now. $99! Whew! Can you recommend any other good apps out there for piano, Organ, synths, etc? There are so many???? I think I’m going to stay with Songbook+ for now! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles! I will surely check out each one! I do a lot of covers from 60’s 70’s and just good ole Rock Music.
Which ones do you think would benefit me the most your opinion?
Thanks so much for your time!!!

Reaction score
Hello Mr. SeaGtGulf! I hate to ask but could you give me an idiots example of the midi banks on how to get started? Oh and are you using Songbook+? Can you use the Galileo 2 App along with your Keyboard voices?
To get the Apps to work I have to turn the Local “off” on the MX88. I probably need to do some more research before digging into this. Midi has always thrown me for a loop??” It’s not clicking in my measly brain yet.
Is there any videos that you know of that would help?
Thanks for any advice man I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles! I will surely check out each one! I do a lot of covers from 60’s 70’s and just good ole Rock Music.
Which ones do you think would benefit me the most your opinion?
Thanks so much for your time!!!

Talk a look at the reviews of Korg Module Pro

I also have Galileo 2 and have used it on three different keyboards and it sounds great on them all.

There is another organ app, Hammond B3X that gets good reviews but it is $99 USD.

Reaction score
Hey Mr. Biggles! Where r u in relation to Liverpool where the greatest Band in the world is from?
I have bought Galileo 2, Korg Module Pro. Have Sunrizer and Mini Moog D. Love all these especially Galileo 2.
I’m like you on the Hammond app! $99 too much for me right now!
Been talking with Mr. SeaGtGulf been very helpful on info. Trying to use an app to make a live set list from voices in apps and keyboard presets. Do you use an app for this. Mr. Gulf said he uses Songbook+.
Like I was telling him this new tech stuff and midi is Greek to me plus I don’t have the time to put into it like I need.
Any help from you guys is awesome! Rock On my friends!

Reaction score
In answer to your question, Liverpool is one hours drive away from me.

I know Liverpool very well, but sadly did not get to see The Fab Four but I have seen Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Merseybeats & The Searchers live.

Listening and watching Gerry Marsden sine You’ll Never Walk Alone in a packed Liverpool Philharmonic Hall with the audience of scousers singing their hearts out is one of the most moving performances that I have ever seen.

If you like the Liverpool sound checkout another Liverpool lad, Billy Fury, his statue is on the Riverbank at Albert Dock

2257D051-FFD9-486D-8BCC-B354F7F5B7A1.jpeg

Reaction score
No Gary.

Fans place flowers on his statue.

Just to the left of his statue as you view the image is the Tate Modern Art Gallery, the Beatles Story exhibition is further to the left, behind where I took the image is the Maritime Museum, and to the right is the Museum of Liverpool, the Ferry Across The Mersey and the Liver Building.

Hence this is a very popular part of Liverpool and only 1/2 mile from Mathews St and The Cavern, which I happened to stumble across many years ago when it was in a derelict state, I was surveying a Building at the tine and just walked through a hole in a cellar wall and there it was.

Reaction score
Wow what a story Mr. Biggles! Love to hear more? I’m in the good ole U.S in the State of Tennessee.
Would love to talk to you more. I’m on Facebook. Tim Chandler from Harrogate, Tennessee. I’m 65 now old Surveyor from way back. You surveying perked up my interest. Well mostly The Beatles! I’ve been a Musician too since I was 17 years old.
Our entire area I live in is old English related. I grew up in Middlesborough, Ky on Exeter Avenue.
I have one female friend here at home from London. Needless to say she is awesome!
Hope we can be friends!

Reaction score
Tim
I will hunt for you on Fb.

Way back in the nineties I used to travel around for work and used to frequently visit Boro.

Were you a Building Surveyor by chance? I am a few years older than you and am or rather was an M&E CEng.

To get your grey matter going, any idea what this is?

Specifically the green coloured devices.

A4C87C2C-F4B9-44C5-8F58-7834994AC08D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it some kind of electro magnetic ventilation system? I don't know! I’m stumped? What the heck is it?

Reaction score
The image shows one of many anti vibration mounts.

The whole auditorium is constructed on these mounts which in turn mean that the whole of the performance space is isolated from any ingress of vibrations from the roads and metro system outside the venue which is Bridgewater Hall in Manchester UK.

The venue is the home of the Halle Orchestra and it is one of many venues that my Mrs and I go to in the UK.

I toured the venue when it as being built and a couple of years ago went to see it again on an official behind the scenes tour.

Ask a Question