VR 730 Volume Issue

Reaction score
I've had My Roland VR 730 for about a year now. For a couple of months I had an Issue with its volume settings, at first I tried to Ignore it and didnt bother to address it ,but it has started to get on my nerves lately, especially since I'me using it much more often than I used to.
The Issue is this:
The Organ Sound Engine puts out to much Volume, when I switch to the Piano/Synth section it cuts it down by 20-30 percent-ish. Between those two sections it stays about the same, but as soon as I go back to the Organ section it cranks up the volume, overdriving my speakers, my digital recorder and any other gear that I have conected to it. Take in mind that when I switch between the setion it always stays at volume 10/12. I could theoretically dial the volume down manually to eve the output, but the issue would reoccur everytime Id switch between the sections meaning the problem wouldn't be solved.

Id be thankful for any support on this issue, it drives me nuts!!!!

Reaction score
page 9 of the manual suggests that you can set the volume level of the organ and save it in a registration. if so then crank the volume level down so that it matches the piano level. when the programs are called up they should then match in relative volume.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats what I meant by dialing the volume down. Registering it as a new sound would be the easy fix, but if I can solve the problem by its roots than I'd rather do that.
Little side note - the volume level that the organ sounds even with the other sounds is 3 which is way lower than the regular 10

Thank you so much for the fast reply! :D:D:D

Reaction score
Again, that's why Roland delivered a volume control for each voice (organ, piano/synth). What about users who don't pull the drawbars all the way out to 8? what if you drawbar setting was 434000000? Then the volume would be half. The volume adjustment at the voice level is Roland's answer to the volume adjustment, there is no solving it at the "roots" level. And who cares that the number has to be 3 on the organ to get an even sound, if that's the number, then that's the number. Create a registration that's volume balanced and use it.

The only other solution I can think of is that if you don't need to run in stereo, then pan the organ left and the piano/synth's to the right. Send both outputs to a mixer and adjust the mixer channel level of the organ down, then you can keep the registrations on 10. The simplist answer is the first one, adjust the organ down to a balanced level, save the registration, use that registration and move on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In addition to the lack of any global volume output capability, I've noticed that using the EV-5(?) recommended expression pedal contributes additional volume "jumps" between patches irrespective of the assigned level. Am I correct to understand that the technology to enable ONE saved volume output across the entire range of patch selections does not exist? This seems almost incomprehensible in this day and time given... 1) the fact that companies like Roland have been building these things for 6 decades or more and...2) live performance players need to switch patches on the fly and often cannot take the time to "test" the output level before they need to be into the song. Finally, if anyone knows of a combo keyboard (semi weighted clone/piano/synth) with global volume setting capability, please let me know.....cause that's where I'm going. Thanks

Reaction score
Dude, you just don't get it. Hammond organs volume output have an association with the drawbars being pulled. 888888888 has a different output level than 444000000. So what default volume setting should Roland use on the organ to 'match' non-organ sounds? Any level they default at the root level will have people questioning the setting because there are a thousand different combinations. This is why in each organ program they allow you to match the volumes to the specific drawbar settings in order to get the balance that YOU want. This solves the issue for everybody. Also, some might not want it balanced, they might want it softer, they might want it louder. Find the right balance, set it and move on.

Reaction score
OK...let me retry another way as I appear to have missed the mark. The B3 patches have been assigned specific drawbar settings to create the desire tone. Then, the volume levels are set to match various other patches. Even having taken these steps, I've encountered jumps, up and down, in the output when switching between patches. All of this notwithstanding, it does not seem irrational to me to expect a modern day kybd to accomplish equal output across the entire range of patches if this is what is desired. Then of course, as you intimate, the player will alter output depending on drawbar manipulation.......BUT, no surprise volume jumps on initial patch. Got it? Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The DRAWBAR SETTINGS ARE THE VOLUME CONTROL.

Max output of line level is 10Vpp.

That's the range you get.

Of course different volume settings occur when you switch drawbar settings because THAT'S WHAT A HAMMOND SOUNDS LIKE.

Your wishlist makes no sense when you realize it is the only possible way to design the emulation.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
OK...let me retry another way as I appear to have missed the mark. The B3 patches have been assigned specific drawbar settings to create the desire tone. Then, the volume levels are set to match various other patches. Even having taken these steps, I've encountered jumps, up and down, in the output when switching between patches. All of this notwithstanding, it does not seem irrational to me to expect a modern day kybd to accomplish equal output across the entire range of patches if this is what is desired. Then of course, as you intimate, the player will alter output depending on drawbar manipulation.......BUT, no surprise volume jumps on initial patch. Got it? Thanks
Do you use an expression pedal? What is the expression pedal set to when you save the registration? If the expression pedal is at 50% when you save the registration but is is fully floored when you switch to the organ the entrance volume will be much different than your saved volume level setting on that program. This is especially true if you use their crappy short throw EV-5 pedal where a slight movement causes dramatic effect.

Reaction score
ok...finally discovered the problem with organ volume setting....

link.. https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/

[BUG] Organ volume is not saved in a ‘mixed registration’​

When organ is part of a split registration with non-organ sounds, its volume always falls back to the ‘default’ volume when recalling the registration

WORKAROUND: use both ‘organ Low/High Gain (VR menu ‘organ’) to in(de)crease organ volume – be aware that this has some impact on the sound itself

Reaction score
Ive had this problem also . I create organ patches , adjust the levels with the drawbars and main drawbar volume and now set the gain high and low and save the patch. When I go to other patches then return I either get volume that is far to high and drowns other band members out or it goes way too low , even when set at 12 on the slider. then I only need to touch the volume slider and it jumps up to what it should be .
There ought to be a fix for this .

Reaction score
It’s difficult to have one Keyboard and use it as a Swiss Army Knife Instrument, I bought the Vr-730 mainly to be used for Organ, that’s where I think it shines best!, sure it has some good Clavinets and Electric Pianos in it, etc, but don’t expect it to always be seamless especially if You have to change on the fly in the middle of a Song. Having Global Volume on board could certainly help things, or just simply have dedicated Instruments designated to do specific things or what they do best!..

Ask a Question