VST vs Yamaha PSR-E463

3dc

Reaction score
I wonder how do voices and styles from keyboards in general compare with VST instruments and sounds in terms of quality. My Yamaha PSR-463 is filled with 237 Panel Voices + 24 Drum/SFX kits + 40 Arpeggio + 457 XGlite voices and it can record at 44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo. I don't know how do they compare with computer instruments and sounds available in DAW software.

Thanks for clarification.

Reaction score
How do I put this?

VST instruments vary considerably with thousands of free ones yet others costing thousands of dollars for a selection.

Hence you will find that the better quality ones will blow the sounds you get from your E series out if the water.

Do not get me wrong the 463 is not a bad starter keyboard and the onboard sound is OK but play it side by side with a Yamaha SX700 and other models above the 700 and it will come off second best.

I started off on an E series and sold it after a year for a better arranger, and I am glad I made the move but it did cost me quite a bit to move on and it did serve me well for a couple of years until I moved on again.

The E463 is a $400 keyboard the SX700 is a $1500 keyboard and the Genos a $6000 unit. You do get what you pay for with a keyboard but the law of diminishing returns applies but these are possibly for the future for you.

All that said, if you hook up your E series to a computer with the right software you can access VST’s and play them with your E series and they will sound superb.

Native Instruments and Arturia have free starter packs fir their VSTs but if you have a Macbook or iMac then for c$40/50 you can buy MainStage and get 6Gb of great sounding VSTs.

For now practicing and learning will probably be more than enough to keep your interest.

3dc

Reaction score
Thanks for your clarification @Biggles.

I know that my E463 is more of a beginner to intermediate educational keyboard. I was more curious what is the sound quality difference between regular keyboard sounds like those from E463 and those you found in regular VST. Isn't 44.1 kHz already a CD recording quality? How much better music recordings can you get from regular VST samples? Or how does Omnisphere VST pianos for example compare with those found in Genos samples. I understand the wast amount of instruments choices you get from VST but I am confused about the quality of those choices. Are they that much better?

Sorry for my English.

Reaction score
Thanks for your clarification @Biggles.

I know that my E463 is more of a beginner to intermediate educational keyboard. I was more curious what is the sound quality difference between regular keyboard sounds like those from E463 and those you found in regular VST. Isn't 44.1 kHz already a CD recording quality? How much better music recordings can you get from regular VST samples? Or how does Omnisphere VST pianos for example compare with those found in Genos samples. I understand the wast amount of instruments choices you get from VST but I am confused about the quality of those choices. Are they that much better?

Sorry for my English.

my friend! if you start ask questions like that you can get hundreds of answers and be even more confused...
LISTEN OUT IT WITH YOUR OWN EARS -- then when you find something that please you, KEEP IT and use it,
i myself dont use any vsts or anything like it, BUT i bought a complemettary keyboard, so now i have two keyboards
t choose sounds from, they are both pretty high quality, but in the end it is YOUR OWN EARS that decide
if you like the sound, not "the bits and bytes"! -- GO FOR IT! greetings Levi
(i think the 463 has pretty good sounds)

Reaction score
If you listen to the same MP3 song but with it recorded at different bit rates then compare any of them to a Lossless version of the same song do you think that there will be any difference in the quality of what you hear?

It is similar to the samples created and used in a keyboard, some keyboards have low file size samples, others are huge, some are single samples per note whilst others have three samples per note.

Sampling itself is pretty well an art form in its own right and the producers take a great deal of time and effort in creating the samples.

It is the difference between chalk Chalk and Cheese, a massive difference between some manufacturers.

As Viscount writes it is all relative to our own hearing.

Reaction score
I often say:" buy after what your wallet permits" dont compare a 100euro keyboard to a 1000euro keyboard, -- and if you have the money: go for the 1000euro keyboard!! - most often you get what you pay for.. now, the threadstarter didnt ask for comparisons of different boards, but i just wanted to throw this in anyway..

3dc

Reaction score
I am more then happy with my Yamaha PSR-E463 voices. I noticed that even Yamaha Genos recording quality is the same as my E463 that is at 44.1 kHz, 16 bit stereo. So overall my E463 should be more then enough for some decent CD quality music production. Who cares about VST sample quality. :)

Reaction score
I am more then happy with my Yamaha PSR-E463 voices. I noticed that even Yamaha Genos recording quality is the same as my E463 that is at 44.1 kHz, 16 bit stereo. So overall my E463 should be more then enough for some decent CD quality music production. Who cares about VST sample quality. :)

Thats the spirit! ;)

Ask a Question