What is best weighted keyboard with hammer action?

Reaction score
I'd like some advice on what the best weighted keyboard with hammer action. I'm basically wanting something that is basically a grand piano but with the ability to play music privately.

Years ago, I initially like the Roland RD-600 but delayed and the RD-700 came out. I purchased it but only kept it a couple weeks. The reason I didn't keep it was because the keys had sweat absorbing properties which dried my fingers too much. I didn't enjoy playing the keyboard in the long run.

I did like the RD-700 for it's high polyphony and better sound sample for the keyboard but the sweat absorbing properties was the deal breaker.

I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for a weighted hammer action keyboard without sweat absorbing key properties that may be a good alternative choice to RD-700, with the exception of buying the older RD-600 model of course.

I know I'm way out of date on models and brands out there but maybe someone can catch me up to speed.

Jason

Reaction score
Check out these portable DP’s which are at different price points to get an idea of the variety of DP’s that there are.

Yamaha P125
Kawai ES110
Korg D1
Roland FP60X
Kawai MP7SE
Roland RD88
Yamaha CP88
Kawai MP11SE
Nord Piano 4
Korg Grandstage

Reaction score
Of Biggles' list, I suspect that there would be nearly universal agreement that Kawai MP11SE is the one that comes closest to a grand piano. Though whether someone likes it best is more subjective than that. Not all grands feel the same, for that matter. Felling the most like a grand, but it being like a grand you don't particularly like, would not necessarily be a positive. ;-)

I'll also mention that, if you want to try a portable Yamaha, the P515 will be a bit more like a grand than the CP88 he mentioned. It's very similar, but the P515 version includes escapement simulation. If you don't need something portable, and budget can handle it, Yamaha's best DP actions are in their Avant Grand models. (Similarly, the best Kawai actions are in their Novus line.)

Reaction score
What's your budget? Is portability a factor, or is a console style unit a possibility?
I don't have a specific budget. I was thinking $1500 but I could go to $2500. It just depends on what I find. Also, I forgot to mention progressive keys was something else I was looking for. Rolands' PHA-50 seems great but it has the moisture absorbing keys. :(

I don't know on console. I'm afraid the target audience might present a sub-part keyboard. I was just going to skip those and look at professional portable keyboards despite the fact that I probably wouldn't take the keyboard anywhere. But you never know, down the road I may want to take the keyboard with me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check out these portable DP’s which are at different price points to get an idea of the variety of DP’s that there are.

Yamaha P125
Kawai ES110
Korg D1
Roland FP60X
Kawai MP7SE
Roland RD88
Yamaha CP88
Kawai MP11SE
Nord Piano 4
Korg Grandstage
From The Roland RD88 and down the list, those seem like ones I would consider. Everything above the list leave a bit to be desired.

The Roland RD88 has escapement but I might of missed the progressive keys.

The Nord Piano 4 and Korg Grandstage seem like good choices too. I think I need to read up more on these and figure out the pros and cons.

This is a good starting place though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of Biggles' list, I suspect that there would be nearly universal agreement that Kawai MP11SE is the one that comes closest to a grand piano. Though whether someone likes it best is more subjective than that. Not all grands feel the same, for that matter. Felling the most like a grand, but it being like a grand you don't particularly like, would not necessarily be a positive. ;-)

I'll also mention that, if you want to try a portable Yamaha, the P515 will be a bit more like a grand than the CP88 he mentioned. It's very similar, but the P515 version includes escapement simulation. If you don't need something portable, and budget can handle it, Yamaha's best DP actions are in their Avant Grand models. (Similarly, the best Kawai actions are in their Novus line.)
I hear you on that. I will have to try it out to make that determination. But I will definitely give the Kawai MP11SE a try.

I'll look at the P515. Escapement is something I would like to have. Hopefully the keys have a heavy feel too. I like the heavy feel of a solid grand piano, with progressive keys of course.

Last edited:
Reaction score
".. the keys had sweat absorbing properties which dried my fingers too much..". Really????? LOL
Yeah, really. I was rubbing my hands to get oil back on my finger tips. Don't ask me why. That's just what happened.

I went to my church and played on their grand piano and had no issues. I even played on some of the uprights with no issue. I don't get why I had that issue with the RD-700. Maybe it's just an issue with that model?

Reaction score
Yeah, if you ever may want to carry it around, of course a portable is the way to go. And really, while consoles have the best actions, that's really only true if you have a high budget. In a more moderate price range, at a given price, you can generally find a better action in a portable, because you're not paying for the furniture. I think the least expensive console with an action that is arguably better than anything you'd find in a portable would be the Casio GP-310 ("Grand Hybrid"), but that's already at $4k.

Since you like a heavier feel, I think you'll probably be happy with the Kawai MP11SE and/or the Yamaha P515.

I don't know about the sweat issue. Over the years, most manufacturers have moved away from glossy plastic surfaces (which could have the opposite problem of becoming "slippery" with sweat) to a more matte-like textured "ivory-ish" surface, and it's possible you might not like that as much... but the extent to which it bothers you could still vary from design to design.

Reaction score
Yeah, if you ever may want to carry it around, of course a portable is the way to go. And really, while consoles have the best actions, that's really only true if you have a high budget. In a more moderate price range, at a given price, you can generally find a better action in a portable, because you're not paying for the furniture. I think the least expensive console with an action that is arguably better than anything you'd find in a portable would be the Casio GP-310 ("Grand Hybrid"), but that's already at $4k.

Since you like a heavier feel, I think you'll probably be happy with the Kawai MP11SE and/or the Yamaha P515.

I don't know about the sweat issue. Over the years, most manufacturers have moved away from glossy plastic surfaces (which could have the opposite problem of becoming "slippery" with sweat) to a more matte-like textured "ivory-ish" surface, and it's possible you might not like that as much... but the extent to which it bothers you could still vary from design to design.
Yeah, this is one of those deals where I have to go to the store and play on the keyboards for a while and see. I'll have to buy new so I can return if there's an issue. Personally, I really don't want to return. I'm hoping what I buy is exactly what I want. But it appears that may be difficult for me. :confused:

I wonder if grand and upright pianos are going this way on sweat-absorbing keys. That's going to be a problem down the road when I consider buying a baby grand piano.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Have you tried wearing latex or neoprene gloves while playing?

It might give you better traction on the keyboard without drying out your fingertips.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question