What's a good portable sketchpad?

Reaction score
What's a good portable keyboard that is:

1) Not software based with a midi controller (I know I could put a small keyboard + laptop together).

2) has a sequencer

3) has an apeggiator

4) is polyphonic

Can you guys think of a keyboard that would make a good sketchpad?

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea about the Juno-G!

I decided that no perfect small keyboard existed that had the features I wanted.

I decided that keyboards like the Alesis Micron, Korg R3, or Korg MicroX were not quite what I was looking for (possibly the MicroX was the closest).

I decided that I should buy a regular keyboard with all the features I wanted, but live with the fact that its not portable (a workstation). And, I should buy a portable music making gadget for my "sketchpad". Once I create songs on the sketchpad, I can flesh them out on the keyboard workstation.

On the portable side, I became interested in the Yamaha QY70 or QY100, or the Korg DS-10+ running on a Nintendo DSi, or Rythm8 running on the Sony PlayStationPortable. Possibly the Tenori On would be another alternative, but its not cheap. I played with a couple of iPhone apps I bought like iSyn but I felt too limited and the screen is just a little too small to work with for an extended period. Plus, I use my iPHone for work, and so I cannot set airplane mode to ignore calls, so my iSyn session would get interupted by phone calls. Imagine if your DAW on your computer suddenly dissappeared while you were working on it because a video call was coming through! very annoying.

Eventually, I decided that I wanted a DAW on something more portable and less buggy than a laptop. Because with a laptop, you still have to plug a MIDI Keyboard into it, and you have latency to deal with, unless you also use a USB or Firewire Midi audio interface. I bought an M-Audio FastTrack Pro to use with my Dell XPS M1330. However, this is not too portable. Also, I have Vista, which is super crappy. Worst peice of crap since Windows ME. I just got Win7, and can't wait to get it up and running!

The best solution I could come up with for portability for now, is the Yamaha QY's or the Sony PSP running Rhythm8.

I went with Rhythm8. It was free. I bought a used hacked PSP for $140. (a hacked PSP is required for Rhythm, as its not "official" software for the PSP).

Its essentially a lightweight DAW. I just wish I could plug a mini keyboard into it like the Akai LPK25.

On the non-portable side of things, I bought a used Roland Fantom X7. I wanted aftertouch, and 76 keys, and all of the features that this workstation has (huge arpeggiator, huge sequencer, sampler). It basically has a built in DAW. However, I can plug this keyboard into my FastTrack Pro and run a DAW on my laptop with it as a MIDI keyboard too.

I plan to get a analog synth or analog modeling synth to create sounds with. These created sounds can be loaded into the Fantom, or into Rythm8. I will get either an old 80's synth like a Juno60, or a newer mini analog modeling synth like a Micron or MicroKorg.

Reaction score
Well as far as analog synths are concerned, you can't go wrong with a Moog. They're pricey but are totally worth it as far as quality, sound, and performance go.

Reaction score
I wish I could afford a Little Phatty, as there is one for sale in my area for $975 (pre-USB version).

Any suggestions as to a sound sample recorder (must be portable)? I am looking at the Roland Edirol R-09HR. I found a site comparing several recorders: Portable Recorder Sound Samples

Reaction score
I know the Zoom handheld recorders are pretty popular, but I've heard from a couple different people that they're not very durable at all...alot of plastic parts.

Reaction score
Are there any applications + plug in mic that turn the iPhone into a decent high sample rate recorder?

I am looking at the Blue Mikey + Fire, but its sample rate looks low, and the mic seems to be limited

Reaction score
From what I can figure out, it appears that the biggest difference in digital recorders (I mean those with the same resolution, sample rate, etc.) is the microphones that they come with. So that led me to thinking about buying the cheapest recorder with the resolution I want, + a good external mike. Here is the comparison and samples that led me to this conclusion:

Review: Edirol R09, Tascam Gt-r1, Yamaha Cx & 2g, Olympus Ls10 - O'Reilly Forums

He didn't actually state what I am concluding, its my own theory, although he hints at it because he comments on using his external mic with all of these recorders (but for some reason, does not include a sample with the Yamaha Pocketrak CX?)

I was thinking along the lines of buying a used Boss MICRO BR + a used M-Audio Nova mic. Buying both of these items together is less than buying a Roland R-09HR. THe downside is that its a little less convenient, and less portable. The upside is the Boss would give me more options (versatility) as it can multi-track record, and I can use the mike for other things like singing or vocoder input into my Roland Fantom, or sound input into my laptop.

What do you think of that idea?

Ask a Question