What's a good replacement for an Ensoniq KS-32?

Reaction score
First a little backstory:

Our keyboard player has been using an Ensoniq KS-32 since they were new and cutting edge. He loves this keyboard. When his first one started having a problem. There's something wrong where it always says "battery low" and you can't save any patches, you can only use it in it's default factory state. We replaced the battery and same problem so we figure it's the battery socket on the motherboard or something and apparently replacement parts for these pretty much don't exist any more. We bought a replacement off ebay. It arrived damaged by UPS. Got a refund. Got another replacement off ebay which he currently uses. It started acting funny a few gigs ago (but has been fine since) so he thought he'd get another off ebay as they're so cheap now. Again it arrived totally damaged by UPS and we returned it for a refund.

The only reason we keep sticking with KS-32s is because he knows it and he loves the sounds. He's not very technically adept so I end up being his resident tweak geek, researcher and purchaser.

Here's what he requires:
  • a nice keyboard with weighted keys
  • at least 76 keys preferable
  • A good range of sounds is preferable but absolute requirements are: pianos, strings, horns, fiddle, organs (a range is good but B3 is the main one), steel guitar (this is one of the harder ones to find), Marimba or something for "Margaritaville" (not an absolute necessity but a major plus)
  • Pitch wheel for use mainly with the steel guitar and fiddle
  • All sounds internal (no loading sounds or switching cards or disks live)
That's all that comes to mind right now. Obviously older model keyboards are good because we can pick them up cheap, but I know there has to be plenty of equivalent or better options for us that we just don't know about.

It's pretty much for live use. He doesn't need any sequencers or anything although I realize it might be hard to find a good workstation that doesn't include them too.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Reaction score
actually ANY newer keyboard will do much better than that one. I see you need plenty of acoustic instruments so I would recommend Yamaha's MOTIF ES7. I bought one myself a few days ago and it's the best keyboard I've played - ever!

Try to arrange a demo play in your local store or with someone that has the motif... you won't regret a single cent

Reaction score
Hey Nos...I'm in a similar situation myself, since Ensinoq was bought out. I currently use an Ensoniq ZR76 that I have owned for about 8 years now, and it really has some decent sounds, its just so darn heavy hauling to gigs. If you don't mind 75+ lbs the ZR76 has all the sounds you are looking for in a synth, but it may be hard finding one.

My main issue with it is the weight since i"ve got a bad back. Its been very reliable, with no issues what so ever.

I'm in a middle bracket as far as buying power....so
Right now I am trying to find my best buy on a Yamaha MO8, which is going to replace it as my live unit, the ZR will stay in the studio. Good luck

Reaction score
First a little backstory:

Our keyboard player has been using an Ensoniq KS-32 since they were new and cutting edge. He loves this keyboard. When his first one started having a problem. There's something wrong where it always says "battery low" and you can't save any patches, you can only use it in it's default factory state. We replaced the battery and same problem so we figure it's the battery socket on the motherboard or something and apparently replacement parts for these pretty much don't exist any more. We bought a replacement off ebay. It arrived damaged by UPS. Got a refund. Got another replacement off ebay which he currently uses. It started acting funny a few gigs ago (but has been fine since) so he thought he'd get another off ebay as they're so cheap now. Again it arrived totally damaged by UPS and we returned it for a refund.

The only reason we keep sticking with KS-32s is because he knows it and he loves the sounds. He's not very technically adept so I end up being his resident tweak geek, researcher and purchaser.

Here's what he requires:
  • a nice keyboard with weighted keys
  • at least 76 keys preferable
  • A good range of sounds is preferable but absolute requirements are: pianos, strings, horns, fiddle, organs (a range is good but B3 is the main one), steel guitar (this is one of the harder ones to find), Marimba or something for "Margaritaville" (not an absolute necessity but a major plus)
  • Pitch wheel for use mainly with the steel guitar and fiddle
  • All sounds internal (no loading sounds or switching cards or disks live)
That's all that comes to mind right now. Obviously older model keyboards are good because we can pick them up cheap, but I know there has to be plenty of equivalent or better options for us that we just don't know about.

It's pretty much for live use. He doesn't need any sequencers or anything although I realize it might be hard to find a good workstation that doesn't include them too.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Do you know whether the battery is needed if all I am doing is using the preset sounds?
Thanks.

Music Bird

Foreign Music Genres Nerd
Reaction score
Maybe given the time period of the KS-32.
You could use an Ensoniq TS-12 or Alesis QS7. These have a lot of sounds you’d be looking for.
Also, if 61 keys isn’t an issue, Yamaha’s SY-85 has tons of built in presets, and I’m pretty sure one is a steel guitar.

Ask a Question