Which keyboard to buy? CP88, CP4, P-515

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a keyboard that fits the following criteria:
-Mimics a real piano for home use (we don’t have room anymore so getting rid of the old piano at least for a few years.)
-Portable for occasional gigs (mostly solo except at church)
-Singer songwriter tools and recording capability into my iPad
I’ve had it in mind that I want to buy the CP88 but is this overkill? When I look at more inexpensive, lighter, easier to haul around models, I worry that I’ll be sacrificing quality of sound and touch. Maybe I shouldn’t be acting so picky..I’ve been hauling the same p-95 around to gigs for like 15 years and while I don’t love it, it has done the job. We don’t live near a city where I can actually try different keyboards out, so i appreciate your input.

Reaction score
The P515 is a discontinued model, its replacement is 7lbs heavier than a CP 88, the new PS500 has inbuilt amp and speakers and is more of a Home Player piano.

I and no doubt others will suggest that you go to your local music store and try as many as you can, including other makes.

Reaction score
The P515 is a discontinued model, its replacement is 7lbs heavier than a CP 88, the new PS500 has inbuilt amp and speakers and is more of a Home Player piano.

I and no doubt others will suggest that you go to your local music store and try as many as you can, including other makes.

Reaction score

Again we live in such a rural area that I’m not able to go try keyboards. There’s only 1 music store an hour away and they just had 2 cheaper models to choose from.
What's your budget?
1500-2000 but I was ready to go over it for the Yamaha cp88 which was 2600. Strongly leaning toward Kawai es920 because I’ve always loved the action and depth of sound in Kawai pianos, it’s light enough for me to haul around without asking for help, and after watching hours of reviews seems to be a great overall piano. Realizing I’ve never been as much of a fan of the stiffer action and bright sound of Yamaha pianos, so I should assume their keyboards will reflect that. Still seeking input though!

Reaction score
£1509 to £2000 is a reasonable budget.

Kawai MP 7SE is less than £1400 and the 920 is less than £1300 and weighs only 17kg

Last edited:
Reaction score
£1509 to £2000 is a reasonable budget.

Kawai MP 7SE is less than £1400 and the 920 is less than £1300 and weighs only 17kg
Id love the mp7se except for not having internal speakers, and weighing quite a bit more than I’d like to carry on a regular basis

Reaction score
Only 5kg more.

2x20W onboard in the 920 may be a little small for a church sized venue!
Could be. But I’d be plugging into the main system there and the onboard speakers would just act as monitors for me, is what I was thinking…? I’ve been playing at a big restaurant for years, with just the onboard speakers of my little Yamaha p-95, so I’m just guessing/hoping the 2x20w has to be quite a bit better than that.

I just entered the 3rd trimester of pregnancy and thinking we might have a few more kids in future years, and I hate asking for help with lifting heavy things! At church today I lifted another guy’s Roland p90x, which I think is in the same ballpark as the mp7se and yikes that’s just more weight than I want to pack around.

Reaction score
Again we live in such a rural area that I’m not able to go try keyboards. There’s only 1 music store an hour away and they just had 2 cheaper models to choose from.

1500-2000 but I was ready to go over it for the Yamaha cp88 which was 2600. Strongly leaning toward Kawai es920 because I’ve always loved the action and depth of sound in Kawai pianos, it’s light enough for me to haul around without asking for help, and after watching hours of reviews seems to be a great overall piano. Realizing I’ve never been as much of a fan of the stiffer action and bright sound of Yamaha pianos, so I should assume their keyboards will reflect that. Still seeking input though!

Reaction score

The Kawai ES920 has 17 adjustable parameters in its Virtual Piano Technician mode which you can save as a default for every time you turn on the keyboard. It’s an incredible instrument. I’ve had mine for over three years now and taken it on hundreds of gigs.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He said "portable for occasional gigs."

The Kawai is a monstrously heavy board to schlep from gig to gig.

Ask a Question