Which Keyboard

Reaction score
Hello

Iam looking for an arranger keyboard and need some tips. So I hope you can help me making the right choice.

I was thinking at a Roland E09 or Roland SH201 (No build in speakers)
Or thé Roland GW8E.
I don/t perform on stage, it is for making music at my home and in the future maybe with a band producing some live music. It should one hand hand be easy to play and the other hand it should have more than enough professional options (play with a band).

Thank you!

The Y_man

Reaction score
I'd rule out the SH201 if you are after an arranger - it's a "pure" synth. Also only 4 octave keyboard which will be very limiting. (it's ok to use if you have several keyboards at once).

Between the E09 and the GW8E, there's quite a big price difference - and in that range you can fit quite a few Yamaha's an Korg's too.....

What are the "professional" options in your opinion?

The Y-man

Reaction score
I have heard the Roland GW8. It's sound is too weak, doesn't have a powerful bass.

Reaction score
I'd rule out the SH201 if you are after an arranger - it's a "pure" synth. Also only 4 octave keyboard which will be very limiting. (it's ok to use if you have several keyboards at once).

Between the E09 and the GW8E, there's quite a big price difference - and in that range you can fit quite a few Yamaha's an Korg's too.....

What are the "professional" options in your opinion?

The Y-man

Thank you. Iam not a professional. But I want good stuff:) And hope to play in a year in a band. What do you recommend?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Thank you. Iam not a professional. But I want good stuff:) And hope to play in a year in a band. What do you recommend?

Thanks again!

Oh and I have already a digital piano korg SP250, so Iam looking for a good combination (maybe keyboard or a synthesizer). ?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Oh and I have already a digital piano korg SP250, so Iam looking for a good combination (maybe keyboard or a synthesizer). ?

Wow, that's 3 times the price of the keyboard I got man :)

If I am not mistaken, the SP250 is a "pure" digi-piano so your probably best getting an arranger/workstation (with drums and backing) so I still think the SH201 is out.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Wow, that's 3 times the price of the keyboard I got man :)

If I am not mistaken, the SP250 is a "pure" digi-piano so your probably best getting an arranger/workstation (with drums and backing) so I still think the SH201 is out.

The Y-man

Yes that's right! Korg sp250 has a very good piano sound! But has les other instruments:-(
So what aim looking for is a good arranger / workstation. What is the difference between a workstation and arranger? What is SH201 especially for, is it to create your own songs/ instruments?
I heard the Roland E09 is not so professional? I need a semi one: just for myself and in future to play with a band (for fun).

Thanks!
Asha

Reaction score
Workstation has more options for editing tones.
Arrangers has more styles and probably editing/programing styles.

Reaction score
Workstation has more options for editing tones.
Arrangers has more styles and probably editing/programing styles.

Thanks! What do you recommended?
-Want to play with songs
-In future starting a band
-I have already a digital piano.

Reaction score
If you want to play in a complete band and need to play keyboard parts, no style...then you need a workstation.
Arrangers are for "1 man band".
Roland Fantom...or Yamaha DX series.

The Y_man

Reaction score

Thanks again!

I would still get an arranger type unit, if you are going to do your own thing - you can still use some of these units as a synth too in a band, depending on the sound you are wanting.

In that price bracket, you have a decent choice. At the end of the day, it's down to personal preferences, so you need to listen to them (maybe initially on Youtube - just type the keyboard name into the youtube search), look at the manual an specs, and actually play them.

Some other boards that come to mind that you might be interested in:

Yamaha MM6
Yamaha MOX6
Roland Juno Gi
Korg M50

The Y-man

Reaction score
Even if Yamaha DX is an old model, it still has nice sounds, and it's not expensive.

Reaction score
What about the roland Juno G or G1. The guy in the story recommended this one.
What you think?

Reaction score
Hello. I´d go for a Korg M50 workstation. Good price, tons of sounds, and some nice arranger features. You can download thousands of midi files for free from the web, store it on a SD card, load it on the M 50 and play it as a backing band for you. In fact, I own a Korg M50 61 and love it.
Now I want to buy a SP 250...are you happy with the piano sounds? And the keybed? Any problems?

Reaction score
D50 of another synthesizer?

Hello

I need advise which synth. I can buy best.
I want to play without a pc
Need lots of good sounds
Retro 80 sounds
Easy to use
Using for home (Iam not a professional).

I read a lot about the Roland D50? Is that something for me? Or juno analog 106?

Thanks a lot!!

Ask a Question