Which roll-up soft keyboard?

Reaction score
Hello

Searching the archives with "roll-up keyboard" didn't return much, so here goes.

A friend would like to buy a roll-up keyboard piano so she can practise singing withouth the bulk of a regular keyboard.

For instance, I found this one on Amazon:
"61-Key Digital Roll-up Soft Keyboard Piano with MIDI"

www.amazon.com/Digital-Roll-up-Keyboard-Upgrade-Thicken/dp/B005EP6DIE

She knows nothing about electronic pianos and synthesizers so doesn't what brand/model to buy.

Any advice to make an informed choice most welcome.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry no experience with that particular keyboard but just to muddy the waters, I've dealt with these guys in Hong Kong many times and they can definitely beat Amazon on price.

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/midi+key

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/61-key-digital-roll-up-soft-keyboard-piano-with-midi-25145?item=6

Generally shipping via international postal mail is about two weeks, there is tracking info and it's free shipping on just about everything these guys sell.

The item I listed in the second link looks identical to the Amazon item you linked.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I looked at the reviews on the Dealextreme site for that roll up piano. They're pretty pathetic. I wouldn't waste any money on it if I were you.

If I might be so bold as to suggest a Casio SA-75 or SA-76, I own one of these and use it for hacking around and ear training when I'm in bed or relaxing on the couch.

It's nothing spectacular but it's very portable and very functional. Plus I've been on the same set of batteries in mine for over 6 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-SA-76-M...?ie=UTF8&qid=1347485923&sr=8-1&keywords=sa-76

It's in the same price range as the roll up garbage and it's a hell of a lot more value for the money.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. If she can find a store that has them, I'll tell her to actually try a roll-up keyboard and see if she really would rather buy that instead of the Casio you mentionned.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The casio is actually quite portable. It runs on 6 AA cells, weighs about 4 lbs. and is roughly the size of two small laptops end to end. The keys are mini keys but quite playable once you get used to them and it has 100 tones and 100 rhythms built in.

From what I read on the rollup keyboard it has a real problem with cheap build quality and playing more than a single note at a time.

Tell your friend to test drive the casio too while she's shopping around ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I talked to a friend of mine in Montreal who bought one for his kids a year ago. He said the roll up isn't worth the money.

Here's a couple of youtube reviews on them.

Here's a cute review of the Casio SA-76

Ask a Question