Which stage piano ?

Reaction score
There are 3 other incarnations of the TP40, the TP40H (Hard Touch Feeling), the TP40M (Medium Touch Feeling) and the TP40L (Light Touch Feeling). As the action of the Piano 5 is not graded, it must be one of these three.
But Nord do their own implementation of it, I assume, like they have done with Kawai's RHIII (RH-N is what Nord calls it, I believe).
Nord uses only M or H versions. I don't think they've ever used an L (which Kurzweil uses, and happens to be my favorite of the bunch).

Yes, I've seen things about Nord tweaking the action for their needs... and I've seen that mentioned in regards to Dexibell as well. The exact nature of these tweaks is never described. (It's also unclear as to whether this is something that Nord/Dexibell physically do themselves, or if they have Fatar alter something for them in production, but that's academic, really.)

As for how Nord likewise offers an altered RHIII, again, it is unclear. It could be simply that it is an ungraded version of an action that would otherwise be graded, or there could be other modifications as well.

The guy in the A&C Hamilton video I posted was actually already playing a Piano 4 on one occasion that I went into the store, he was playing it for his own enjoyment and it sounded amazing, no other person was on the sales floor at the time. He was in 7th heaven and even said it was the best DP in the shop and the best he had played.
There's always subjectivity to this, of course, but I wonder if he'd ever played a Nord Grand, which Nord themselves would tell you should feel even better to play than the Piano 4. I'd also be curious about what else was in the shop at the time, i.e. whether he'd (yet) had the opportunity to play, for example, the Yamaha CP88 or Dexibell Pro 7 we've been talking about here. Still, obviously, each of us could conceivably play the same three boards and come up with a different answer to the question as to which plays the best!

Reaction score
Nord uses only M or H versions. I don't think they've ever used an L (which Kurzweil uses, and happens to be my favorite of the bunch).

Yes, I've seen things about Nord tweaking the action for their needs... and I've seen that mentioned in regards to Dexibell as well. The exact nature of these tweaks is never described. (It's also unclear as to whether this is something that Nord/Dexibell physically do themselves, or if they have Fatar alter something for them in production, but that's academic, really.)

As for how Nord likewise offers an altered RHIII, again, it is unclear. It could be simply that it is an ungraded version of an action that would otherwise be graded, or there could be other modifications as well.

There's always subjectivity to this, of course, but I wonder if he'd ever played a Nord Grand, which Nord themselves would tell you should feel even better to play than the Piano 4. I'd also be curious about what else was in the shop at the time, i.e. whether he'd (yet) had the opportunity to play, for example, the Yamaha CP88 or Dexibell Pro 7 we've been talking about here. Still, obviously, each of us could conceivably play the same three boards and come up with a different answer to the question as to which plays the best!
Last paragraph response, I would trust the Sales Guy’s impartial opinion over any online review, he knows I am not interested in a Nord DP so there was no sales pitch.

The store is a major dealer for Yamaha so yes the are very familiar with all their products.

As they are also major dealers for Korg and Nord and to a lesser degree Roland so yes their products are very well known.

The Company pride themselves in their after sales service and give a free lifetime of ownership support on technical matters relating to operating the keyboards they sell.

Not even the biggest Music Store chain in the UK stocks Dexibell products.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is Kaneda. We all know he's going to order every make and model, and keep on sending them back until he finds what he wants.

These guys might give him a discount if he drives to the factory and picks it up himself :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I might just do that...
One word of caution...

Supply Shotage + Xmas Rush + Pandemidiots == VERY LONG SHIP TIMES ON BACKORDERS...

Last summer I waited 4 months for a Korg Prologue 49 UNTIL I cancelled the order and asked the store what they DID have in stock. Thus I ended up with a Sequential Circuits Take 5 instead of the mass produced Asian junk that is the Prologue and I have been having a blast with it ever since. It cost $200 more than the Prologue but they happily refunded me and sold me the Take 5 for a decent Canadian price. At the time it had just come out and they had 5 units in stock. Now they're $200 even higher than I picked it up for.

People may have thought I was crazy buying and trading all these synths over the years, but I have a feeling I could easily get back the money I paid for it all if I needed cash in a crunch.

6.2% US Inflation means that you better find a keeper quickly, cause otherwise they may cost double your original budget.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
6.2% US Inflation means that you better find a keeper quickly, cause otherwise they may cost double your original budget.
LOL. But yeah, while it's an issue, that may be a bit of an over-statement... at 6.2% annual inflation, it would still take over a decade for the price of something to double. These models will probably all be discontinued before then. ;-)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's 6.2% now. You don't know how high it will be next year. And compounded over a few years you can expect some considerable jumps in prices in 2 or 3 years.

We aren't exactly making friends with China these days and moving all those factories to friendlier nations is going to cost $Billion$ which all gets passed to the consumer.

Like I said earlier. If he doesn't want to wait 6 months for a backorder, then he's best selecting something already in stock.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's 6.2% now. You don't know how high it will be next year. And compounded over a few years you can expect some considerable jumps in prices in 2 or 3 years.
My math factored in the compounding. But regardless, it's obviously hard to really predict what will happen. I mean, yeah, the October 2021 annual inflation rate was 6.2%, but in July, it was 4.2%. Next year? Who knows... But even at 10% annual inflation, it would still take over 7 years for prices to double.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If prices go up even 50% over a few years that turns a $2000 board into a $3000 board.

I wouldn't want to risk it.

Reaction score
No worries...
The S7 Pro and Piano 5 are in stock @Thomann...
The CP88 is available from a reseller in France, about half an hour drive for me.

I've got plenty of options, really. In the back of my head, the SV2 is still there, that's in stock as well. The RH3 alternative for cheapskates, the D1, I can get as well, no problem. I just want a solid, quality board for piano, I don't think that's too much to ask...

Reaction score
Last paragraph response, I would trust the Sales Guy’s impartial opinion over any online review, he knows I am not interested in a Nord DP so there was no sales pitch.
I trust his opinion, but my point about subjectivity is that it IS his opinion, which is not necessarily going to be the same as (or any more or less valid than) your opinion if you were to play all the same boards, or my opinion, or Kaneda's opinion. It's still just one guy's opinion, even if it's an informed and unbiased one. Because ultimately, it's still highly subjective. That is one of the reasons why people can try out all these different models and not all choose the same one. ;-)

The store is a major dealer for Yamaha so yes the are very familiar with all their products.
I know they're a major dealer and figured they had Yamaha, but you didn't say when you were there, and since the Nord Piano 4 has been out for longer than the CP88/YC88, it was possible that those boards hadn't come out yet so he would not have had that opportunity to compare to them. Hence the phrasing, "whether he'd (yet) had the opportunity to play, for example, the Yamaha CP88..."

Reaction score
I know they're a major dealer and figured they had Yamaha, but you didn't say when you were there, and since the Nord Piano 4 has been out for longer than the CP88/YC88, it was possible that those boards hadn't come out yet so he would not have had that opportunity to compare to them. Hence the phrasing, "whether he'd (yet) had the opportunity to play, for example, the Yamaha CP88..."

If the sales guy from A&C Hamilton was saying that the Piano 4 was the best thing since sliced bread, he obviously hadn't played a Kawai MP11SE before. Well, no, actually, he said it was the best DP in the shop, so they obviously didn't have the MP11SE...

i'm not saying the Piano 4 isn't a great board, it's just that I wasn't particularly impressed by it when I played it. So if the Piano 5 isn't much of an improvement over the 4, then I guess I shouldn't really bother. Or should I ?

To be honest, I really think that the CP88 is the next best thing, action wise, after the MP11SE. And the sounds are getting better and better with each update.
But I would really like to try that Dexibell. It apparently has a very similar action to the Nord Piano so I'm intrigued to find out how the two compare. If it's like the Nord (Piano 4, I must add), then I don't think that even the sounds will sway me. I'll have to wait and see.

Reaction score
Alas Kawai, like Kurzweil and Dexibell are not that well represented in the UK.

None of my local stores that I would buy from stock any Kawai, even the biggest chain stocks zero Kawai.

In the A&C Hamilton store I have seen one Kawai, the MIDI controller, that is it.

Reaction score
Shortlist :
- Yamaha CP88, love the action, very good piano sounds but not the best (price around 2100 euro)
- Nord Piano 5 : wonderful piano samples, haven't been able to try one ; tried the Piano 4 a long time ago, found the action 'okay but not great', but apparently the action is supposed to have been improved for the 5 (price around 2800 euro)
- Dexibell S7 Pro : piano samples to rival Nord and all the features you could wish for ; Fatar TP40 keybed, afaik, haven't found any Dexibell boards in a store near me, only online so can't try it out (price around 1800 euro)

Runners up : Kawai MP7SE and Nord Grand, sound-wise both very good, and a very solid action, but not really all that portable.

I'm intrigued by both the Piano 5 and S7 Pro. Piano 5 because, well, it's a Nord, and there's so much hype around the brand that I might finally get one myself to see what it's all about, and the Dexibell because it has some very obvious qualities, and a bit 'mysterious' because there aren't many of them about...
Studiologic Numa X GT might be interesting as well, but brand new so very little information about it.

Is there anyone who has already played the Piano 5 or S7 Pro ?
Hi Kaneda, I've been mulling over a new board for ages and made a decision 2 weeks ago as the offer was hard to pass up. I've bought a Kurzweil
Artis 7 Stage piano which sells here in the UK at a recommend retail of £1499.
I got mine for £999. It has a 73 note semi weighted Fatar TP 8 action and has piano keys not synth or waterfall.
Its built with a quality feel and is an all metal construction including the end caps. It's also shorter than most boards and if you can manage with 73 keys then it's a great choice for gigging as it's also quite light at 27.7 lbs.
I've not gigged it yet as I'm still acclimatising with the Kurz O S but it's straight forward enough and I'm looking forward to adding it into my rig soon. The sounds by the way are tops too and I like the fact that the Sliders and buttons are programmable which is hand for your own set up and personalisation. You can also add 4 pedals into the two SW sockets in addition to the CC expression pedal socket.in all a very strong light good quality stage board at a pleasing cost !
If you want an 88 specifically then the Artis is the same with a fully weighted board. The Artis 7 is a lightweight version.
Good hunting.

Reaction score
Shortlist :
- Yamaha CP88, love the action, very good piano sounds but not the best (price around 2100 euro)
- Nord Piano 5 : wonderful piano samples, haven't been able to try one ; tried the Piano 4 a long time ago, found the action 'okay but not great', but apparently the action is supposed to have been improved for the 5 (price around 2800 euro)
- Dexibell S7 Pro : piano samples to rival Nord and all the features you could wish for ; Fatar TP40 keybed, afaik, haven't found any Dexibell boards in a store near me, only online so can't try it out (price around 1800 euro)
Are there crude or tacky wooden ends on the Dexibell?

Reaction score
Shortlist :

Runners up : Kawai MP7SE and Nord Grand, sound-wise both very good, and a very solid action, but not really all that portable.

I'm intrigued by both the Piano 5 and S7 Pro. Piano 5 because, well, it's a Nord, and there's so much hype around the brand that I might finally get one myself to see what it's all about, and the Dexibell because it has some very obvious qualities, and a bit 'mysterious' because there aren't many of them about...
Studiologic Numa X GT might be interesting as well, but brand new so very little information about it.

Reaction score
Shortlist :

I'm assuming you don't have the Korg Grandstage 88 as a choice. I use it professionally and absolutely love it. I ultimately chose it over the Yamaha and Nord. It records authentically as well.

Reaction score
I'm assuming you don't have the Korg Grandstage 88 as a choice. I use it professionally and absolutely love it. I ultimately chose it over the Yamaha and Nord. It records authentically as well.
RH3 keybed is really good and I like it, not as good as the CP88, but it trumps the TP40 in the Piano 4 I tried some time ago. Unfortunately, it seems the Grandstage has been discontinued.
It's still on Korg's website, but it's no longer available from any store I know, online or otherwise.

Ask a Question