Who is your Favorite Keyboardist?

Reaction score
jorden ruddess the wizard
janne wirman who drinks a full bottle and a few beers during a show

used to like soanta arctica's but they have gone to s**t these days

Reaction score
You all seem to be forgetting Howard Jones......in my opinion he is one of the all time greats, not just playing, but also live programming between songs.
have you guys even seen a howard jones gig? he was surroundid by analog synths and drum machines at one time. you guys really should take a look on youtube and see him work his magic, and yes he is still doing his music even today

HoJo-----> Number 1

Reaction score
Brian Auger is pretty nifty too, but for sheer eloquence Jimmy Smith takes some beating. Is he still dead, by the way?

Reaction score
Some of my favorite players are:

Chick Corea
This is by far my all time favorite player. He is using tons of different keyboards and effects, but you can always now when it is Chick who is playing. That signature tonality, sound and feeling is so original. I love his work in Return To Forever which are one of my favorite bands. By far the most original, innovative and soulfull player i know!

Jan Hammer
His work in Mahavishnu Orchestra is outstanding. He has incredible funky feeling and rough sound, which i love. And he is also very talented for stripping down his playing to comp so that the other artists gets in the spotlight.
And just listen to the song "Miles Beyond" by Mahavishnu Orchestra, isn't that just the greatest Rhodes riff of all time?

Keith Emerson
Already mentioned. Nuff said, incredible player!

T Lavitz
I don't expect that many of you have heard of this guy. He played with the Dixie Dregs for a little while.
http://open.spotify.com/album/29wrVgEIgi5a369BeenxGB
I'll just post this and let the album speak for itself. It's probably the most interesting and funky things i've ever heard someone do on a piano!

Eldar Djangirov
All right, he is a virtuoso, and incredible technicall. But his compositional skills are remarkable.
http://open.spotify.com/album/3HJiiBxb5ncdwHvP4mGon9

Dave Stewart
Crazy player! Love his style, his sound and rythmics. So many great melodys and riffs!
Others worth mention are:

Herbie Hancock
Joe Zawinul
Rick Wakeman
Ståle Storløkken
Bob James
John Medeski

and many more!
As for Jordan Rudess, can't really say that i like him. He got great skills but his composition are rather lame and uninteresting (my opinion).

Reaction score
Herbie hancock has to be up there.
Not only for his palying but his compositions and the way he helped shape modern music.

Reaction score
My faves:

Prog: Tony Banks is IMHO the king of good taste, not to mention his amazing writing skills.

Jazz fusion: Chick Corea is the ultimate wizard, piano, rhodes, synths, he does it all.

Studio sessionist and live master: Greg Phillinganes (Clapton, Toto, Michael Jackson, etc...)

Hammond: Smith, no doubt...

Reaction score
I think all you guys hit it right on the head with the keyboardists you mentioned. I think Jordan gets a little TOO much mention in this thread, only because he goes onstage with a MUSICPAD pro....wow. Memorize it like the rest of the guys, dude. :)

P.S. Let's not forget Steve Walsh - Kansas. :)

Reaction score
Being most interested in Rock, Blues, piano and organ my favorites would be:

Leon Russell - His playing with Mad Dogs is so cool, funky, honky tonk style. I love his hitting the octave riffs.
Richard Manuel of The Band has a somewhat similiar approach.
Doctor John, Otis Spann, Billy Preston, Chuck Leavell & Ray Charles
Barry Beckett - session player on "Loan me a Dime" and Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody"

Gregg Allman's organ sounds are really tasty
Al Kooper on Dylan's Positively 4th Street

And the Organist on "Whiter Shade of Pale" Procol Harem?

Reaction score
Shame on me for missing one: the late Esbjorn Svensson. There's better jazz pianists, sure, but no one has such comical titles or makes such interesting use of electronics.

I'm a big E.S.T fan, great songs.

Favourite of all time is Jason Rebello. Relatively unknown, but his albums are amazing. I think these days he's playing with Jeff Beck.

Reaction score
A few that haven't been mentioned so far:

Mickey Dale from Embrace.
Jay Darlington, formerly of Kula Shaker.
Ian Russel, People in Planes.
Richard Wright from Pink Floyd.

Reaction score
gary numan and trent reznor.... ok so theyre probably not the best players around and trents maybe more of a synth programing guy but just gotta love the sounds

Reaction score
I actually favor Kevin Moore over Jordan Rudess. Much more groovy synth solos. But my favorite player must be the italian Alex Argento

A little taste (btw, his whole album is so extremely well played by all, and great compositions as well)

Ask a Question