Who is your Favorite Keyboardist?

Reaction score
Ray Manzerak for his simply awesome organ abilities. However I'll chuck in Brian Eno, who despite not being a virtuoso keyboardist was a very original and forward thinking user of synths. His sound was very distinctive. Out of modern keyboardists I'll chose Peanut Baines from The Kaiser Chiefs again less so because of virtuosity but more because of his habit of producing lovely synth pop/rock melodies.

Reaction score
My all time favourite keyboardist is the one and only Jan Hammer. I really got into pitch bending devices (both sticks and Wheels) when I discovered his playing after listening to the Jeff Beck collab album he did and the one with Neal Schon, not to mention the Miami Vice stuff he did. He's been a massive influnce on my keyboard playing.

Other players I love (both new and old) would be:
Chic Corea
Herbie Hancock
Steve Hunt
Jen Johansson, first shred type player I ever heard.
Alex Argento, Great player from Italy with a great solo album out called EGO, if you like Jazz/Rock fusion.
Keith Emerson
Derek Sherinian
Jordan Rudess
Kevin Moore
Bernie Worrell
Matt 'The Doctor' Fink
Jean Michel Jarre
Howard Jones
Thomas Dolby
Patrick Moraz
Jonanthan Cain - Journey was great but also was a big fan of Bad English as well.

Reaction score
So who is your favorite keyboardist? This can include band members or performing artists alone.

Mine have to be:

1) Rick Wakeman from the band Yes

and

2) Janne Wirman from the band Children of Bodom (also made his own project called Warmen)

Reaction score
The first keyboardist to really attract my attention was Rick Wakeman when he put out The Six Wives album. I was fortunate to see him with Yes twice and caught him on his Journey to the Center of the Earth tour in Memphis in '74. I had a front row seat right beneath his setup and the narrator. Keith Emerson fascinates me, and I was able to see ELP in '75 or thereabouts. Jon Lord is a major influence, as are Steve Winwood, Bobby Whitlock, and Billy Preston. I love the old B3 sound.

Reaction score
Hope it's ok to bump a thread from 2 years ago.

One of my faves is Michael McDonald.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Donald Fagen of Steely Dan. The guy is a genius not only on the keys, but in music theory. Youtube has a video about the making of "Peg", it's amazing listening to him talk about the architecture in that song. He's the kind of guy I would love to have a coffee with and just listen to him talk about music.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My #1 fave of all time is Kerry Minnear of Gentle Giant. He really puts the "GEE!" in Genius. ;)

I posted a vid of him in action in another thread.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/let-us-all-bow-down-and-worship.25745/

There's also a few others in that thread as well.

And not mentioned in that thread but also a legend in his own time is John Tout of Renaissance. Worthwhile looking him up on youtube as well.

Gary

Reaction score
Hey good on you for restarting this one.

There are so many amazing keyboard players out there I couldn't possibly name a single favourite but I will throw up Derek Sherinian and Gregg Rolie for consideration!

Reaction score
After careful consideration of all the fantastic keyboarders out there, the one who stands out amongst them all is...

Keith Emerson

Fin

Reaction score
BOOKER T!!!!! Now he deserves five exclamation marks. I mean, seriously, who hasn't heard of Green Onions? I don't think he every plays solo, but all the same, a great band keyboardist.

:)

Reaction score
Wow. All good responses. In my opinion it seems that those who are very technically competent seem to get drunk with their astounding ability, as such there is a loss of melodic or pleasurable listening. Most notably Rudess. He's a monster but I am not interested in emulating that style.
I am surprised that nobody mentioned Bill Payne from Little Feat. Or Bruce Hornsby.

JM_

Reaction score
Herbie Hancock -
And I agree, T Levitz and Bruce Hornsby are great.

Keith Jarrett, Brad Mehldau, Hiromi... mostly pianists, but still....

Ask a Question