Cable from computer to ez-220

Reaction score
Running Windows 10. Using "Piano Booster" program to run the MIDI files. Using my printer cable to link to my ez-220.

Seems like some MIDI files light up the keyboard and others don't. Also switching through the optional Instruments in Piano Booster is an issue. Many MIDI files have the various instruments in the song and I can't seem to get the keyboard to play the piano part. Many files automatically default to the vocal of the song. Is this a cable or MIDI file issue?

When I use the "Listen" feature on Piano Booster, the keys light up with the song as they should. Switch to "Follow You" and the keys do not light up unless I press them. Is this normal? Pecking the keys to find the right notes is getting tedious.

Also, Piano Booster seems to have some kind of hiccup as it sometimes tries to play two songs at the same time. (the song I previously played and the new song). Is there another program that works better?
Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The objective of a program like pianobooster is to teach you to sight read sheet music.

Most experts agree that learning to play a keyboard watching lighted keys is a gimmick and would never recommend it to their students.

Also pianobooster is an open source program created and maintained by volunteer programmers. It's amazing that it works at all with lighted keyboards from Yamaha and Casio but it does so as best it can and a few bugs are to be expected.

If you'd like to try a program that's commercially available and more geared to this style of "education" there is Synthesia.

https://www.synthesiagame.com/

My advice to you is to buy a basic book on music theory though and a few simple beginner song books and start learning how to REALLY play a keyboard. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Reading-Music-Step-Step/dp/1593373244/

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Essential-Music-Theory-Book/dp/1440583390/

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Piano-Book-CD-classical/dp/1598699768/

EDIT >>> It's really no tougher than field stripping and cleaning an M-16 :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I learned guitar in the same manner. Find a couple of songs I like that use common chords. Learn those chords well using proper fingering techniques. Show a bit of progress as I learn to play those chords in my sleep. Once that is mastered, expand my skills with more chords to include likable songs that build upon my repertoire.

Reaction score
I would not use any aids to play.

Learn the chords, play a C chord and notice the numbrr of unplayed keys between them.

Then play an F and again notice the number of unplayed keys.

They are the same, you can now play any Major chord if you keep this in mind.

Then learn inversions, again they are easy.

You will make far faster progress if you build up logically rather than try to keep up with flashing lights.

Reaction score
You can do this without the key lights. Can you turn the lights off?
You may want to learn to play inversions too. The wrong keys will light up using this method so you will get confused.
Ray

The Piano Booster displays the correct keys and will not progress the song until they are played. This also requires me to be able to read the actual notes on the scale.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This may not even be a bug.

It may be that the program cannot light the key without sounding the note. This would defeat the purpose of teaching mode.

If you managed to learn guitar then you should be able to at least pick out the notes on the scale.

If not, it may be a good idea to invest the effort to learn.

Simple enough.

Lines on the top Stave: Every Good Boy Deserves Favor

Spaces on the top stave: FACE

Lines on the lower stave: Good Boys Deserve Favor Always

Spaces on the bottom stave: All Cows Eat Grass

The ledger line between the two staves is Middle C

And in practice all you have to remember is the spaces. The adjoining lines are in alphabetical order.

With this simple mnemonic you have all you need to basically pick out a tune from a stave.

If you want to progress with your knowledge of music theory and sheet then take a look at the tutorials listed in this thread.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/good-tutorial-links.24556/

harmon15.jpg

Playing Whack-A-Mole with lighted keys is no way to learn this instrument.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would not use any aids to play.

Learn the chords, play a C chord and notice the numbrr of unplayed keys between them.

Then play an F and again notice the number of unplayed keys.

They are the same, you can now play any Major chord if you keep this in mind.

Then learn inversions, again they are easy.

You will make far faster progress if you build up logically rather than try to keep up with flashing lights.

158 and 148 are numbers going on in my head. Thanks!

Ask a Question