Would a keyboard amp or better speakers solve my issue?

Reaction score
Hi, I have two midi keyboards feeding into my macbook / Logic and I play multiple instruments/tracks (via the keyboards) at the same time, usually drums + a couple of other virtual instruments. This all sounds great and works perfect through my headphones plugged into the macbook, no distortion of sound etc no matter how many tracks/instruments I'm playing simultaneously.

I have a pair of Edifier MR4 Studio Monitors (4" woofer, 1" tweeter) and when I plug these into my macbook and play single track/instrument it sounds great. But when I play multuple tracks/vst's, especially if one of them is drums, the sound from the speakers fades/low volume - ie it cuts to about half or a quarter of the volume coming out the speakers, then I go back to playing single instrument and it's full volume again.

So basically it seems like these speakers can't handle drums + other synth sounds/vst's simultaneously, I don't know if that's because of the size of the speakers or what?

So I'm thinking I need either better speakers that would handle this, or a keyboard amp.

I have a budget of around USD $500 - $600 (at a push!)

Keyboard Amps - I can get Behringer Ultratone K900FX (available in my country NZ and within my budget) or go to the high end of my budget and get Roland KC200. Ideally the K900FX as it's cheaper.

Speakers - I have no clue about really.

So can anyone advise me:

1) what is likely causing the sound to go quiet with drums + other instruments simultaneously on my current speakers

2) would that be solved by the K900FX keyboard amp (or at a push the KC200)

3) if not does anybody have any recommendations of speakers in general in this price range that wouldn't have this issue and would they be a better bet than the keyboard amps

Many thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Edifiers are Amazon's knock-off, no-name brand.

Take a look at a pair of Presonus E5 monitors for juicier bass output.

Or use a subwoofer with your Edifiers.

You might also check your EQ settings.

Ask a Question