Yamaha AI fingering

Reaction score
There is no way for the keyboard to know what a dim, aug, M7, m7, or any such chords in AI with only 2 depressed keys

Reaction score
You have insufficient info on everybody you write about
Hopefully you are healthy and have many years ahead of you to learn all you can. some are not as fortunate

Despite arthritis in my hands I can play 4 or 5 note chords pretty well so if you do have physical disabilities that cause you problems then it would have been helpful of you to let us know.

We do have members here with problems and advice has been tailored to help the people concerned.

Since auto chord systems require more than one finger for many chords one might as well learn to play the chords as you would need to learn at least three fingered patterns to be able to trigger chord play.

Or you could setup your SX to play a chord progression as part of a saved song.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There is no way for the keyboard to know what a dim, aug, M7, m7, or any such chords in AI with only 2 depressed keys

I'm not sure about that, because the definition Yamaha gives for A.I. Fingering is that it requires only two notes or less-- but it also implies that the results for any two notes might vary depending on the preceding chord.

So it might be possible to play a diminished chord, for example, by playing a minor chord, followed by the root and the diminished fifth.

By the way, thank you for posting that FAQ from Yamaha's site, as it's the most explicit information I've seen from Yamaha about how to use A.I. Fingering-- but I haven't read all of their owner's manuals and reference manuals, so for all I kniw there's some good information in one of them.

Den

Reaction score
AI fingering is designed to overcome the situation of whether you play a chord C,E,G or G,E,C. It gives the full chord. If you play C, Cm, G then whichever way around you play it sounds the same as the chord you wanted. IF you wanted to play Em with a G bass (Em/G) then you would have to play all the notes in the correct order. In order to play that chord you would need to move the split point up the Kbd as the G is already in the E chord. No real half ways, you just have to play the chords. The harmony is the music. Anyone can play a melody. Regards, Den.

Ask a Question