Yamaha s 770 usb conection

Reaction score
Hi. The USB input on my keyboard does not work. I changed the connector, but it didn't work. After connecting any pendrive and pressing the USB button, a menu appears but when you try any option, this message appears: "no usb flash drive is connected". My keyboard is an Yamaha S 770.
I thank you for any opinion.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
But no matter what type of USB stick you connect. This message always appears: "No USB flash drive is connected".
I connected my external hard drive and this message appeared: "An over-current error occurred for the connected USB storage device. Disconnect the device and the press ok button"

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Did you connect the USB HD BEFORE or AFTER this problem developed?

You might have fried the USB Controller Chip when you did that.

Keyboards are NOT desktop computers.

Many are not even up to spec for USB 2.0, much less 3.0, when it comes to delivering current to outboard devices.

Regardless of what you may or may not have done the problem sounds very much to me like a defective USB port on the Yamaha.

It could be a simple cracked solder joint or it could be a fried controller chip.

Either way, with micro, surface mounted components this is way beyond the scope of most DIY repairs.

You'll probably end up having to send it in for service.

I hope you took the extended warranty option when you bought it. It would come in handy right now. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
happyrat1, thanks for your reply. I connected my USB HD after the problem after the problem appears.
Shortly after buying the keyboard, I connected the same hard drive and had access to all the folders that contained midifiles or mp3 files.
I will take the instrument in the authorized assistance.
Unfortunately, the warranty time has expired.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that your warranty is gone. I hope it doesn't end up costing too much but it should be pretty much the cheapest repair possible on any modern keyboard these days.

As long as it's mounted on a standalone daughterboard and not on the main board the part should not cost an arm and a leg to order in from Yamaha.

Good luck :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, when you get it back from service, NEVER AGAIN connect a USB Hard Drive to it.

Look carefully in your manual and there should at least be a warning, if not in the specs about how much current and what devices the port can handle.

It may have worked before, ONCE, but in the process you may have tipped the avalanche of current catastrophic failure.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Btw . .
Why is it necessary to format a new pendrive stick in the keyboard before adding styles to it?
What if it did not get formatted?
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When a keyboard offers to "Format" a pen drive, what they really mean is initialize, like creating an old IBM XT BOOT FLOPPY.

The pen drive does not really get Formatted, but rather information is stored in the boot sector and OS directories are created and populated as necessary by the OS of the keyboard.

That's why the drives are readable in any computer. They are still low level formatted to VFAT, FAT32 or whatever flavor of FAT is popular this year.

Personally I always partition and low level format any new pen drives to FAT32 with GPARTED before I use them for anything.

Manufacturers tend to hide some sh*tty, Win Only shovelware on their drives in hidden partitions and boot sectors that suck up space and do nothing good for anyone.

FAT32 has not failed me so far. :)

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks Gary,
I was just curious.
I initially just added some styles to a new "SanDisk Flash Drive" without formatting.
Plugged it into my keyboard and it all works okay.
Then I realized it should have been formatted. So I did it all over again the correct way with a new flash drive, thinking I might do some damage. I discarded the first one . . o_O

Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Proper procedure would have been to copy the styles to your computer, then format the drive in the keyboard, then copy the files back to the proper directories.

No drive is really damaged until a computer can no longer read it.

Chalk up another life lesson :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Back to the Op’s problem, resetting the keyboard may help.

If over current protection is built in to the unit it may have locked out the USB circuit board rather than let it fry.

Worth doing a factory reset to see what happens.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Biggles >>> It really doesn't sound to me like a system reset would do bugger all in this case.

This is a simple hardware failure of a peripheral.

This is a screwdriver fix, not a software one.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Biggles >>> It really doesn't sound to me like a system reset would do bugger all in this case.

This is a simple hardware failure of a peripheral.

This is a screwdriver fix, not a software one.

Gary ;)

Yeah I agree with you but a simple reset costs nothing and it will either work or not.

Ask a Question