Yamaha CP-300

Reaction score
When connecting my CP-300 through my Yamaha EMX-88S PA system the piano sound quality is terrible. They sound fantastic through the on board built in speakers but when using only the PA they do not. I have tried mixing the EQ's on the CP-300 and my PA to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue and what is the solution? Need Help!!!

The Y_man

Reaction score
Couple of things:

• Can you elaborate on the "bad quality" (fuzzy, tinny, distorted?)
  • How are you connecting the keyboard to the mixer?
The Y-man

Reaction score
Hey Y-man. The sound quality is hollow I guess. I'm guessing the EQ's are not right but I have tried adjusting and it's still not right. I'm hoping that it is something simple I'm missing. It is not as bright and clear as it is thru the on board speakers. They sound great. I am going line out left and right stereo to line in RL channel on the PA head. I have a Yamaha SO8 connected in the same way with the same mix and the piano sounds great on the SO8. I'm Stumped. Thank You so much for responding.

Reaction score
Hey Y-man. The sound quality is hollow I guess. I'm guessing the EQ's are not right but I have tried adjusting and it's still not right. I'm hoping that it is something simple I'm missing. It is not as bright and clear as it is thru the on board speakers. They sound great. I am going line out left and right stereo to line in RL channel on the PA head. I have a Yamaha SO8 connected in the same way with the same mix and the piano sounds great on the SO8. I'm Stumped. Thank You so much for responding.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Also can you confirm/try the following:
  • is the Pan on the PA head split to left/right or are both channels down the middle? If you overlap the R/L channels, you can get weird hollow sounds from the reverb/dsp cross talking.
  • can you try the mono output (one or the other of the line out) and see if ti sounds any better mono?
  • if it has a headphone output (and the thing sounds ok on headphones), can you amp that up and see if it any good?
The Y-man

Reaction score
  • is the Pan on the PA head split to left/right or are both channels down the middle? If you overlap the R/L channels, you can get weird hollow sounds from the reverb/dsp cross talking.
  • can you try the mono output (one or the other of the line out) and see if ti sounds any better mono?
  • if it has a headphone output (and the thing sounds ok on headphones), can you amp that up and see if it any good?
The Y-man

Reaction score
The Y-man
I will try these things ASAP and let you knoe what happens. I know for sure that I have been panning a whole lot left and/or right because one of the speaker cabinets is by my ear and the other about 20 feet diaganally from me. Hope this works. I'll keep you posted. Been a hectic work week. Thank you so much The Y_ man.
Tim aka (e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
I will try these things ASAP and let you knoe what happens. I know for sure that I have been panning a whole lot left and/or right because one of the speaker cabinets is by my ear and the other about 20 feet diaganally from me. Hope this works. I'll keep you posted. Been a hectic work week. Thank you so much The Y_ man.
Tim aka (e-mail address removed)]
The Y_ man
Okay, I plugged into the left mono out to mono line in and this did not change anything. I also tried the pan left/right to middle on the PA head, no change. I tried the headphone jack and again no change. However, I have been adjusting the EQ on the PA head and got the piano sounding some better. Still not clear and bright. I'm beginning to think I have yet to get the mids adjusted correctly. Still getting this sort of tone that's hard to describe. So frustrating. I also plugged the cable from the CP-300 to the SO8. No change. The SO8 still sounds way better. Also someone told me that since the CP-300 is a newer keyboard that I needed to use a DI (Direct) box to connect from my keyboard thru to the PA head. Not sure what this does but I'm thinking of trying it. The same guy told me I needed to use the correct cable (low Z). Got anymore suggestions. I'm free and open to trying anything at this point.
Thanks,
Tim

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you know anyone you could borrow an amp from or maybe take the keyboard to a music store and plug into another amp just to eliminate if it's the amp or the keyboard's fault?

Also, maybe try plugging both keyboards into the PA using a small console mixer so you have better control over the EQ?

Just firing off random shots in the dark here. :eek:

Reaction score
The Y_Man, Hey, Thanks for all your support in my technical issue . Okay, as I said I have been adjusting the EQ on the PA head and I think I'm getting there. The piano sound as you asked earlier would be described as "Tinney" as you asked me on 10/21. See if you can spot anything that could be the problem in my current settings. The current PA EQ settings are as follows: 125 (+3), 250 (0), 500 (-6), 1K (-10), 2K (-6), 4K (0), 8K (0). I'm trying to adjust these alone and it's not easy running back and forth. Going to move the PA head closer to me. I have not done this yet because it's going to take some re-arranging but I may have to do this. I do not have access to an amp or mixer at the present time. This "Tinney" sound has to be in the mix somewhere I hope. Like I said it is sounding better accept for this.
What did you think about the DI box. Yea-Nay? Oh yeah I do not have a set of headphones that works. I will get some and try it if you think it is necessary. Again thank you.
Tim In Tennessee

Reaction score
Hey Y_ Man/ Happy Rat, Sorry about the amp and mixer replies. I forgot you did'nt ask that question. And thank you Happy Rat for your concern. I really appreciate it and hope to spread some knowledge out there when I get this issue resolved. Thank you both very much!
Tim In Tennessee

Ask a Question