Yamaha CP-33 Sustain Duration

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question regarding the Yamaha CP-33. I am interested in being able to control the duration of the sustain on the grand piano voice. Function F3 (Sustain Sample Depth) does not accomplish this.

There is a mention of half pedal effects, but there is no detail of how they work.

Any thoughts? Thanks very much!

- Paul

Reaction score
The pedal you are using must be able to trigger half pedaling. Most sustain pedals are simple on/off switches. The Yamaha FC-3 supports half pedal damping. The 1/4" plug will be a TRS type (tip/ring/sleeve) as opposed to a simple sustain pedal which is TS (tip/sleeve).

Reaction score
Dave - I am using the FC-3. The sustain decay is too long for the grand piano voice. I am trying to shorten it. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Reaction score
On my Kurz and GEM keyboards there is a function to shorten/lengthen the sample envelope. I downloaded the CP33 manual from the Yamaha site and the CP33 does not allow for envelope manipulation, however check page 31 of the owners manual which speaks to soft pedal effect depth as well as sustain pedal effect depth. This might help your issue. Also, reduce the reverb if you are using any as this can give the appearance of sustain as well.

Reaction score
Dave - Thanks for looking into this. Those functions you had mentioned unfortunately do not control the sustain duration. I did notice that the half pedal for the sustain does work, but it is very sensitive. I imagine there might be some type of workaround, perhaps by obtaining a different pedal, though I'm not too sure. I'll see if there is a tech support line for Yamaha.

Reaction score
it's possible that the soft pedal depth and/or sustain pedal effect depth have an influence on the half-pedaling of the FC-3 pedal.

Ask a Question