Yamaha DGX660 Recording with a Style but NO ACMP

Reaction score
I simply want to be able to choose a style with ACMP OFF to record a backing rhythm as I play a selected voice. Each time I try to do this ACMP automatically is on. I don’t care if I have to record audio or midi. I’ve tried doing both with no success. Is this even possible to do with this keyboard without having to purchase some software?

Reaction score
Welcome.

Can you advise the make a model of your keyboard?

You do not need to buy software, as there are free DAW’s readily available and BandLab’s Cakewalk springs to mind and for multi track recording Audacity is also free.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Can you advise the make a model of your keyboard?

You do not need to buy software, as there are free DAW’s readily available and BandLab’s Cakewalk springs to mind and for multi track recording Audacity is also free.
The model is a Yamaha DGX660. It’s new for me, but I imagine this is something that should be easily done.

Reaction score
Yamaha’s website info states about recording your performance to USB to share with friends. By that I would take it that it includes ACMP as default but page 44 of the manual explains how to turn off ACMP.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you can't turn off the Accompaniment while recording (and I'm not sure whether you're supposed to be able to do that on the DGX-660), there are a few things you could try.

(1) Yamaha keyboards recognize many different types of chords for controlling the Auto Accompaniment, and one of them is called "Cancel," also called "NC" or "No Chord" in some documents, for when you want to turn off the chords in the Accompaniment-- such as for playing measures where the section showing the guitar chords or other instruments' parts are marked "Tacet" on the sheet music.

To trigger this "Cancel" chord type, hold down three consecutive keys in the Accompaniment section of the keyboard-- for instance, C, C# (or Db), and D. Note that this key combination might trigger a minor 7th chord instead, so you might need to change the chord fingering method (but don't use the full keyboard method). The documents where this "Cancel" chord type is mentioned say that the keys which trigger it are 1-2b-2, or the root, flatted second, and second. So if playing three consecutive keys just triggers a minor 7th, try shifting one of the keys to a different octave, like C#1-B1-C2-- that is, play C# with your left little finger while using your left thumb to play B and C at the same time in the octave above.

I'm not sure whether this will turn off everything except the rhythm, or if the bass will continue to play.

(2) Some Yamaha keyboards have a Style Assembly feature that lets you copy an existing style and change it, such as to remove all style parts except the rhythm. The DGX-660 does NOT have that feature, but there are free utility programs that let you create new style files from MIDI song files, or edit existing style files:

If you're trying to record with an external style file, you could just make a copy of that file on your computer (so you don't "ruin" the original file), load the copy into one of these utility programs, and delete all of the style parts except for the two rhythm parts (Rhythm1 and Rhythm2). Then you could use the new rhythm-only style while recording your song.

If the style you're trying to record with is an internal style, you can play it normally (just the Accompaniment, not playing along with it) and record it to a MIDI song file. Then you can either convert the song file to a style file and remove the unwanted parts (channels) from the style file, or remove the unwanted parts from the song file before converting it to a style file (i.e., same result, just doing the steps in a different order depending on which seems easier to you).

(3) You could also just record your song-- to MIDI, not audio-- using the full style playback, then transfer the MIDI song recording to your computer, remove the unwanted style parts (channels), transfer the modified file back to your keyboard, and convert it to an audio recording (if your goal is to have an audio recording of the song).

By the way, the two rhythm parts are channels 9 and 10, so in this case the "unwanted" style parts would be on channels 11 through 16.

(4) The "last resort" solution would be to use a DAW on your computer to do the recording. This would actually be the preferred solution for some people, because a DAW will give you much more control over the recording and editing process, as well as many more possibilities such as combining the tracks from your keyboard with tracks recorded using other instruments (guitars, vocals, etc.) or tracks that use sounds generated by virtual instrument plugins (which might sound better than the voices your keyboard has). But I realize DAWs aren't for everyone, so that's why I'm calling it the "last resort" solution. :D

Reaction score
Michael

Page 44 of the manual does give the impression that it is possible.

That said it is a Yamaha so anything could actually happen.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're talking about the following, it does indeed make it sound like you can either (1) not turn Accompaniment on in the first place, or (2) accidentally-- or deliberately-- turn it off:

2 If you want to record with a Style, press the [STYLE] button then the [ACMP ON/ OFF] button to turn ACMP on.
Once you have set the ACMP to ON, don’t call up the SONG SELECT or AUDIO SELECT display because doing so will set the ACMP to OFF.

But the real question is, will recording while the Accompaniment is turned off capture the rhythm, or will the entire style playback be disabled?

Reaction score
First thanks all for responding. I have been able to successfully record both song and audio with Style and no ACMP. The instructions in the manual aren’t exactly correct for audio, but I found the display on the keyboard prompts you after you initially press REC. As for recording a song what seems to happen if you follow the instructions on pg.44 is the ACMP is turned on by default and you can’t disable it. However on pg.46 it describes “Recording to a Specified Track”. So I first recorded the Style to a track making sure I record the desired number of measures. Then select record to a different track. When I start the recording as the Style track plays I can play along as it’s being recorded to a separate track.

Obviously I’m new to the recording field and all the software available so I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions from everyone.

Reaction score
I simply want to be able to choose a style with ACMP OFF to record a backing rhythm as I play a selected voice. Each time I try to do this ACMP automatically is on. I don’t care if I have to record audio or midi. I’ve tried doing both with no success. Is this even possible to do with this keyboard without having to purchase some software?
I don't think you can turn the ACMP off but figured out how to get it to work - hold down the ACMP button and select option #3, go into Functions and set the split point to the lowest key, I think it's -21(A), Then press record and A. If you sync start it will play with the ACMP but if you press Start and let the style start playing it will work. I just let it record 1 measure of the style and then started playing.

Reaction score
Yamaha’s website info states about recording your performance to USB to share with friends. By that I would take it that it includes ACMP as default but page 44 of the manual explains how to turn off ACMP.
On my DGX660, when you first turn the instrument on, the ACMP is “off” and has to be turned “on”. If I wish to turn ACMP “off” after already having it “on”, I hit the ACMP again to turn it “off”. Then hit it again later to turn it back “on” if I like. ACMP does not play when I leave it off from the start, or turn it off by pressing the ACMP button.

Reaction score
On my DGX660, when you first turn the instrument on, the ACMP is “off” and has to be turned “on”. If I wish to turn ACMP “off” after already having it “on”, I hit the ACMP again to turn it “off”. Then hit it again later to turn it back “on” if I like. ACMP does not play when I leave it off from the start, or turn it off by pressing the ACMP button.
This didn't work for me, at first. I finally turned off the keyboard and back on, and it worked. It'll be interesting to see if I can duplicate this again:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally found a way to get this to work.
So, i have a yamaha DGX-660.

1. Set the split point to lowest a-2 something like that
  2. Next Press Style, and choose your style
  3. Make sure ACMP is visible on the digital screen
  4. Press REC, THEN press Start button.
  5. This will trigger style to start playing the drums.
  6. Left hand wont trigger chords because of the earlier split point change.
  7. And that's really all you need to do.
It wont work on the first try. It took me half hour to find a combination that works.
Sometimes, i need to record something stupid just to have something on it.
THEN remove the A track, and it will work on next try.

If needed, i can make a youtube video if anyone interested.

Ask a Question